• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Maths, Addmaths and Statistics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
This is in our book as well. It is very brain draining since it involves using a number of right-angled triangles and assumptions to calculate the vectors. Questions like these don't come in CIE for obvious reasons.
http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/55029.html
I searched and found this solution. Hope it helps.

How many different 4 digits numbers greater than 3000 can be formed using the six digits 1,2,,3,4,5,6,if no digit can be used more than once..

So i know we would make 4 dashes and select the number but how do we choose the digits ?? Explain me please

Reaction score
How many different 4 digits numbers greater than 3000 can be formed using the six digits 1,2,,3,4,5,6,if no digit can be used more than once..

So i know we would make 4 dashes and select the number but how do we choose the digits ?? Explain me please

Greater than 3000 means first digit can be 3,4,5,6 i.e. 4 options

rest 5 digits remain from which three digits need to be permuted

4*5P3=240

Reaction score

You could either SUBTRACT the possibility of numbers less than 3000 from all the choices.
Or you could set the first digit from any of the following; 3,4,5,6.
The two methods are:
All choices = 6P4 = 360
Less than 3000 = 2 * 5P3 = 120
Number of digits = 360 - 120 = 240.

OR,
The first digit can be either 3,4,5,6, so,
Number of digits = 4 * 5P3 = 240.

Reaction score
can anyone answer Q7 part i of 4037 w12qp12?

You can solve by either similarity and congruence or by equations
For equations : -
STEP
1 : - Find gradient of AB
2 : -Use the gradient to find equation of DC ( Parallel, gradient same)
3: - Find equation of EB
4: - Find the gradient of AE by perpendicular gradient method m1 x m2 = -1
5: - Find equation of AE
6: - Simultaneously Solve AE And DC equations And BE And AE equations to get the points D And E :)

Reaction score
the gradient of AB is coming 0 and we know that D(x,8) so how can i get the value of x

find gradient BE using the coordinates of B and C......then find gradient of AE by the fact that BE and AE are perpendicular....the gradient of AE is equal to the gradient of AD...so substitute the coordinates of A(-5,4) and D (x,8) into the gradient formula and equate it tho the gradient of AE wich will be 0.5.....thus u'll get the value of the x coordinate of D..:)...if u still can't understand tell me i will try to explain you by another method..gud luck!! (y)

Reaction score
this is such a diificult question that my sir said to award Rs 100 to the one who solves it correctly! :p

Help Bro ;
At 12 00 hours, a ship has position vector (54i + 16j) km relative to a lighthouse, where i is
a unit vector due East and j is a unit vector due North. The ship is travelling with a speed of
20 km h in the direction 3i +4j.
(i) Show that the position vector of the ship at 15 00 hours is (90i + 64j) km. [2]

Reaction score
Help Bro ;
At 12 00 hours, a ship has position vector (54i + 16j) km relative to a lighthouse, where i is
a unit vector due East and j is a unit vector due North. The ship is travelling with a speed of
20 km h in the direction 3i +4j.
(i) Show that the position vector of the ship at 15 00 hours is (90i + 64j) km. [2]

its pretty simple....use the direction vector of ship to find its direction in degrees....it will be 53.13.....use this to find out the velocity vector of 20 km/h.......

the position vector at 1500 hours would be the initial position vector at 1200 54i + 16j + the distance travelled in the 3 hrs( 3*velocity vector of 20 km/h)
hope i helped!!