• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Maths, Addmaths and Statistics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Re: O'level Maths, Addmaths and Statistics help available he

abcde said:
^Exactly! usman.1995 asked the same question in a separate thread and he may want to check the answer there as well. :p
Now I found the real place to post it where all the mathematicians are gathered ......other reason being I still haven't got answer for the second Question

Reaction score

usman.1995 said:
abcde said:
^Exactly! usman.1995 asked the same question in a separate thread and he may want to check the answer there as well. :p
Now I found the real place to post it where all the mathematicians are gathered ......other reason being I still haven't got answer for the second Question
Fair enough! :)

Reaction score

STATISTICS
paper 13.....oct nov 2010.....Q6 (ii).....don't know how to prove it

Someone plz explain ......THANKS

Reaction score

SalmanPakRocks said:
Need help in Stats
N10/P22/Q7
(i) (a) Simple average = (109 + 107 + 113 + 110 + 106)/5 = 545/5 = 109.
(b) Notice that in the first two columns the items are different and their respective weights are different. The simple average does not take either of these into account as it only considers the average of the price relatives.

(ii) Weighted aggregate price index = (109 x 6 + 107 x 4 + 113 x 5 + 110 x 2 + 106 x 3)/(6+4+5+2+3) = 2185/20 = 109.25. To the nearest integer, this would be 109.

(iii) Price relative = P1/P2 x 100 = 113/109 x 100 = 103.67. Again, to the nearest integer, your answer is 104.

(iv) Honestly not sure about this part. Hope someone else can answer.

(v) (a) The values would differ because the base date is different in both cases. The prices of the items were not same on the base dates. Infact, the prices increased from January to June.

Reaction score

Thank u so much, it solved my confusiong but may I ask that as they had asked us in (i) a) to use Janurary 1st as Base year but as 1st janurary isn't given in the table so why have u divided the total with 5 ??

Reaction score

SalmanPakRocks said:
Thank u so much, it solved my confusiong but may I ask that as they had asked us in (i) a) to use Janurary 1st as Base year but as 1st janurary isn't given in the table so why have u divided the total with 5 ??
The prices are already given with regard to 1st January as the base date so there's no need for a 'January' column. There are a total of 5 items so to find the simple average of relatives index, we divide by 5. (The obvious rule of taking averages :) )

Reaction score

So its a question from Differentials topic.

Calculate the gradient(s) of the curve at the point(s) where it crosses the given line.
y = 2x^3 - 8 , x-axis

The answer in the book is +8, -8 !!Now im pretty much sure its wrong.Cuz im getting 15.sumthing!! :)

Reaction score

^Same here. I get 15.1 approximately.
There is clearly a misprint in the question or the answer at the back of the book is incorrect! Move on.

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score

Ghalya001 said:
So its a question from Differentials topic.

Calculate the gradient(s) of the curve at the point(s) where it crosses the given line.
y = 2x^3 - 8 , x-axis

The answer in the book is +8, -8 !!Now im pretty much sure its wrong.Cuz im getting 15.sumthing!! :)

Assalamoalaikum!! :)

Firstly, apologies for the late reply. :oops:
Anyways, your answer is correct, there's been a misprint in the question, it was supposed to be 2x^2 and not 2x^3!! ;)

And according to the question given, your answer is correct. :)

Hope this helped!
Jazak Allah Khair!

Reaction score

AoA..!!
Oh thanku sooooo much angel...abcde and i'd been thinkin the same...misprint thing..!! :)
JZK..!!

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score

waalaikumassalam!

jazaki wa jazanallah! and yeah...as i said..if u make it x^2 you'll get the answer given in the book

Reaction score

^Exatly! With x^3 you get one answer i.e. 15.1, whereas using x^2 gives you two answers as given in the book.

Reaction score

See Ghalya I told u, there was something wrong with the question !!

Reaction score

SalmanPakRocks said:
See Ghalya I told u, there was something wrong with the question !!
Yeah yeah..isi leay tumhara answer 6 aa raha tha which comes neither way !! :D

Reaction score

ok so what to do next after this
y=2x^2-8
y=4x-0
y=4x

should i put it in this formula ??
y-y1=dx/dy(x-x1)

Reaction score

SalmanPakRocks said:
ok so what to do next after this
y=2x^2-8
y=4x-0
y=4x

should i put it in this formula ??
y-y1=dx/dy(x-x1)
Talkin bout my question, are you??
Here's the solution..
dy/dx = 2x^2 - 8
= 2(2x^2-1) - 0
= 4x
And taking out the value ov x,
2x^2 - 8 = 0
x^2 - 4 = 0
x^2 = 4
x = +2, -2

Substituting the values,
4*+2 = +8
4*-2 = -8..!!
:D

Reaction score

Oh yeah !! its written x-axis so we will take y=0 !!
thanks !! :D

Reaction score

y dnt v use crude death rate 2 compare 2 towns?is it cz d total populatipon of each 1 ov dm differs or is it 4 sum other reason?also,i dnt get my answers to qs related 2 graphs ryt.do they accept ur answer if ur answer differs by,say 2units?and finally........where cn i get d mark schemes 4 all d stats papers?its not available over here..except 4 nov2009..

Reaction score

aleezay said:
y dnt v use crude death rate 2 compare 2 towns?is it cz d total populatipon of each 1 ov dm differs or is it 4 sum other reason?also,i dnt get my answers to qs related 2 graphs ryt.do they accept ur answer if ur answer differs by,say 2units?and finally........where cn i get d mark schemes 4 all d stats papers?its not available over here..except 4 nov2009..
we use Standard Population to find out which town is more healthier and as for marking scheme sadly CIE never published the MS expect for 2009 :(