• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
c
It's not too bad as long as you understand that the v/t graph is the graph of the gradient of s/t and remember a few cases.
constant velocity is a straight diagonal line for displacement
straight diagonal line for velocity is increasing gradient graph for displacement
curved graph for velocity is increasing gradient at an increasing/decreasing rate for displacement, depending on the curve in the v/t graph

Because we are doing definite integration. The c cancels out.

There is no 'right' or 'wrong' direction. Positive can be any direction as long as you show motion in the opposite direction as negative.
an u plz sketch the raph for his 7 marks !!!! :confused:

Attachments

• Untitled22.png
    Untitled22.png
    33 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
It's not too bad as long as you understand that the v/t graph is the graph of the gradient of s/t and remember a few cases.
constant velocity is a straight diagonal line for displacement
straight diagonal line for velocity is increasing gradient graph for displacement
curved graph for velocity is increasing gradient at an increasing/decreasing rate for displacement, depending on the curve in the v/t graph

There is no 'right' or 'wrong' direction. Positive can be any direction as long as you show motion in the opposite direction as negative.

Can u give me an example to clear my doubt regarding definite integration and how C cancels?

Reaction score

Also solve my question I posted in previous page :)

Reaction score
Can u give me an example to clear my doubt regarding definite integration and how C cancels?
suppose you integrate v and get this
S = 2t^2 - 3t + c
and you know s = 5 when t = 0
so c = 5
S = 2t^2 -3t + 5
now this is the term you will apply limits to so it becomes
Upper limit - lower limit
but whatever limits you use, the 5 will stay 5 because it has nothing to do with t
so whatever the limits are, you will always end up with 5 - 5 = 0 when you do upper limit - lower limit.
Therefore, we can just ignore it.

Reaction score
Why isn't T2 20s? My values were 10 and 30 but when I inserted value of 21 in second derivative of velocity it was giving me positive so increasing? And when I put 19 it was giving me negative so decreasing?View attachment 53464
Why are you putting them in the second derivative... Just take 1 derivative. That will give you acceleration. Velocity will be increasing when acceleration is positive and decreasing when acceleration is negative.

Reaction score
Why are you putting them in the second derivative... Just take 1 derivative. That will give you acceleration. Velocity will be increasing when acceleration is positive and decreasing when acceleration is negative.
Isn't that u have to find d2y/dx2 to see if it is inc or dec. for that function.

Also, about the 'c'. I don't understand the limits thingy for displacement :3. Isnt it only for volume/area?

Reaction score
Isn't that u have to find d2y/dx2 to see if it is inc or dec. for that function.

Also, about the 'c'. I don't understand the limits thingy for displacement :3. Isnt it only for volume/area?
You may not know it but you ARE calculating the area. Area under v/t time graph is the displacement.
Or in that that example, think of it this way, suppose you want to know the displacement between t = 0 and t = 10.
So it will be displacement up till t = 10 - displacement at t = 0
so it will be S(10) - S(0) and the 5s will cancel.
At S(0), only the constant remains as anything containing t becomes 0. That's why you get the correct answer when you plug in just 1 value of t (10 in this case) in S, because the constants cancel. But it's important to understand that what you are actually doing is finding the area under the graph from t = 0 to t = X. But suppose if it asks you to find the displacement from t = 10 to t = 20. Then you subtract the displacement at 20 from the displacement at 10, in other words, you are finding the area under the v/t graph from 10 to 20.

d2y/dx2 tells you the nature of a stationary point. Increasing/decreasing is checked from the gradient, dy/dx.

Reaction score
You may not know it but you ARE calculating the area. Area under v/t time graph is the displacement.
Or in that that example, think of it this way, suppose you want to know the displacement between t = 0 and t = 10.
So it will be displacement up till t = 10 - displacement at t = 0
so it will be S(10) - S(0) and the 5s will cancel.
At S(0), only the constant remains as anything containing t becomes 0. That's why you get the correct answer when you plug in just 1 value of t (10 in this case) in S, because the constants cancel. But it's important to understand that what you are actually doing is finding the area under the graph from t = 0 to t = X. But suppose if it asks you to find the displacement from t = 10 to t = 20. Then you subtract the displacement at 20 from the displacement at 10, in other words, you are finding the area under the v/t graph from 10 to 20.

d2y/dx2 tells you the nature of a stationary point. Increasing/decreasing is checked from the gradient, dy/dx.

You are amazing thanks :)

Just one more thing. Does the same theory (ignoring c) apply for calculating distance?

Reaction score
The tensions AP and AQ are equal, so the angles on both sides of 3sqrt3 are the same. The angles are (180-90-30)/2 = 30
Now take the direction of the 3sqrt3 force as your plane and resolve forces along it. Look at the horizontal part.
Tcos30 + Tcos30 = 3sqrt3
T = 3

Oh missed on the equal angles part, thanks :)

Reaction score
let p's time = t
then q's time = t - 2
a = 1.75 and u = 0 for both
Displacement of P = 0.875t^2
Displacement of Q = 0.875(t-2)^2
Displacement of P - Displacement of Q = 4.9
0.875t^2 - 0.875(t-2)^2 = 4.9
t = 2.4
but since it's talking about time in terms of Q in the question
t = 2.4 - 2
= 0.4