• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Emergent, please help!
View attachment 47796
I have no doubt in solving this problem as I have nearly finished the further. Yet I need to make sure I score all the method mark given. for ii), please take a look at the mark scheme as below.
View attachment 47797
Can anybody tell how to use the correct trig formulae to obtain a 3-term quadratic in tan sita, sin 2sita,cos 2sita, or tan2sita?

Very very time-limited, please reply quickly, thanks!!!!
use double angle formulas
btw its written "hence" so it means u shld use the answer from part (i) in part (ii) to some extent.

Reaction score
Actually, yes, but they are from the recent 2014 May June Paper.
http://justpastpapers.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/IMG_3474.jpg
(The papers aren't exactly out yet, so this is a best version I could find^)

Question 3 and 4 (i) part.
For Q3, I didn't get the reflex part at all. I just know how to do it with acute, obtuse and right angle. If you can help me with the concept, I will so grateful!
WORKED SOLUTION :¬
http://justpastpapers.com/9709_s14_ms_12/

Reaction score
Thanks alott! :')
I got a silly question, but, when we are applying square root to both sides in question 9, why is only K + and - ? Why not + and - (x+2) too?
Here, we have to go step by step.
You will come at, k squared = (x + 2) squared. So you will first remove square from k or (x + 2) your choice, for ex, lets take k for now, so, k = Root of [(x + 2) squared] hence it remains (x+ 2) Square gets off due to root. And after you remove root, there is +/- sign coz we dk either that term is + or - :)
Same way if you take root on k it will be +/-(x + 2) = k
Solving this you will end with the same solution,
x + 2 = k, x = k - 2 --> (1)
-x - 2 = k, x = -k - 2 --> (2)

Hope so you get it. :)

Reaction score
sorry, 6(ii) .
6 ii)
you first plot points A and B on the diagram and i am assuming you know how to do that
next you find the mid point between A and B
you get -1/2-1/2i
this will be the centre of the circle
no you have to find the radius of the circle
find the distance between the two points using sqrt[(x2-x1)^2+(y2-y1)^2 and you get an answer
square root of answer will give you the radius :)

Reaction score
6 ii)
you first plot points A and B on the diagram and i am assuming you know how to do that
next you find the mid point between A and B
you get -1/2-1/2i
this will be the centre of the circle
no you have to find the radius of the circle
find the distance between the two points using sqrt[(x2-x1)^2+(y2-y1)^2 and you get an answer
square root of answer will give you the radius :)
Thank you so much :) I understood it.

Reaction score
Here, we have to go step by step.
You will come at, k squared = (x + 2) squared. So you will first remove square from k or (x + 2) your choice, for ex, lets take k for now, so, k = Root of [(x + 2) squared] hence it remains (x+ 2) Square gets off due to root. And after you remove root, there is +/- sign coz we dk either that term is + or - :)
Same way if you take root on k it will be +/-(x + 2) = k
Solving this you will end with the same solution,
x + 2 = k, x = k - 2 --> (1)
-x - 2 = k, x = -k - 2 --> (2)

Hope so you get it. :)
helping others i see..... glad to have left a tradition :)

Reaction score
use double angle formulas
btw its written "hence" so it means u shld use the answer from part (i) in part (ii) to some extent.
Could you explain it in more detail please.. I think it would not be a good idea to use the double angle formula, because you can't cancel the constant 2 on the RHS. Please write down full detail, thanks!!

Reaction score
Could you explain it in more detail please.. I think it would not be a good idea to use the double angle formula, because you can't cancel the constant 2 on the RHS. Please write down full detail, thanks!!
i dint try it but thts how basically we do it, right?
Thought blocker please see to it. im not good enough to work this out :/

Reaction score
Emergent, please help!
View attachment 47796
I have no doubt in solving this problem as I have nearly finished the further. Yet I need to make sure I score all the method mark given. for ii), please take a look at the mark scheme as below.
View attachment 47797
Can anybody tell how to use the correct trig formulae to obtain a 3-term quadratic in tan sita, sin 2sita,cos 2sita, or tan2sita?

Very very time-limited, please reply quickly, thanks!!!!
Thought blocker this one!! :)