• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Use the substitution u = sin 4x to find the exact value of cos^34x dx and the given range is (0 and 1/24pi)

Reaction score
[ (1 + sinx)/cosx ] + [ cosx/(1 + sinx) ]

Take L.C.M.
[ (1 + sinx)(1 + sinx) + (cosx)(cosx) ] / cosx(1 + sinx)

Expand numerator only
[ 1 + 2sinx + sin²x + cos²x ] / cosx(1 + sinx)

Now simplify (sin²x + cos²x = 1)
(1 + 2sinx + 1) / cosx(1 + sinx)

(2 + 2sinx) / cosx(1 + sinx)

Factorize numerator
2(1 + sinx) / cosx(1 + sinx)

1 + sinx cancels
2/cosx
Thanks man

Reaction score
Does anyone have notes for p1 integration chapter as the questions of integration always go above my head can't understand them at all . Your help would be appreciated

Reaction score
Oh god i forgot, how to find maximum and minimum point of a function.
I would love simple details like 'find the derivative and then equal it to zero..bla bla'
To know the if the graph has maximum / minimum or both you have to find the first derivative and then something
and to know the points of those maximum and minimum you have to find second derivative and then...
I forgot and i just can't find in my text book. Text book really confuses me a lot.

Thanks in Advance!

Reaction score
Oh god i forgot, how to find maximum and minimum point of a function.
I would love simple details like 'find the derivative and then equal it to zero..bla bla'
To know the if the graph has maximum / minimum or both you have to find the first derivative and then something
and to know the points of those maximum and minimum you have to find second derivative and then...
I forgot and i just can't find in my text book. Text book really confuses me a lot.

Thanks in Advance!
Find first derivative equate to zero get the x coordinate substitute the x coordinate in the equation given to get y coordinate
Now to know if its maximum or minimum
Find second derivative substitute the x value if the second derivative is negative then the x and y coordinates you found are maximum and vise versa

Reaction score
Can someone please solve this, step by step:
In a geometric progression, the second term is 9 less than the first term. The sum of the second and third terms is 30. Given that all the terms of the progression are positive, find the first term.

Reaction score
psychiatrist Idk one question ZaqZainab solve 7b) 2012 mayjune variant 2, and I am bored with p1, I'll upload other two on 2nd may, I am busy with chemistry. :)
View attachment 40486 View attachment 40487 View attachment 40488 View attachment 40489 View attachment 40490 View attachment 40491 View attachment 40492

Can someone please solve this, step by step:
In a geometric progression, the second term is 9 less than the first term. The sum of the second and third terms is 30. Given that all the terms of the progression are positive, find the first term.
in All GP the first term is a and second is ar and the third term is ar^2
as they have mentioned the sum of second and third term is 30
(ar)+(ar^2)=30
in this GP the first term is 'a' second is (a-9) and third is not given so lets just take ar^2 as its true for all
and as second term is 'ar' and also 'a-9'
ar=a-9
(ar)+(ar^2)=30
you have 2 equations
lets make a the subject and substitute it in the 2nd equation
a-ar=9
a(1-r)=9
a=9/(1-r)
not substituting
((9/(1-r))*r) + ((9/(1-r))r^2=30
(9r/(1-r))) + (9r^2/(1-r))=30
as denominators are the same
(9r+9r^2)/(1-r)=30
9r+9r^2=30-30r
9r^2 +9r +30r -30 =0
9r^2 + 39r -30=0
r=2/3 ,-5
if all terms are positive how can r be negative? so we won't take r=-5
a*(2/3) +a=9
a=27 :) i hope it helps

Reaction score
in All GP the first term is a and second is ar and the third term is ar^2
as they have mentioned the sum of second and third term is 30
(ar)+(ar^2)=30
in this GP the first term is 'a' second is (a-9) and third is not given so lets just take ar^2 as its true for all
and as second term is 'ar' and also 'a-9'
ar=a-9
(ar)+(ar^2)=30
you have 2 equations
lets make a the subject and substitute it in the 2nd equation
a-ar=9
a(1-r)=9
a=9/(1-r)
not substituting
((9/(1-r))*r) + ((9/(1-r))r^2=30
(9r/(1-r))) + (9r^2/(1-r))=30
as denominators are the same
(9r+9r^2)/(1-r)=30
9r+9r^2=30-30r
9r^2 +9r +30r -30 =0
9r^2 + 39r -30=0
r=2/3 ,-5
if all terms are positive how can r be negative? so we won't take r=-5
a*(2/3) +a=9
a=27 :) i hope it helps
Thank u I didnt know abt the ar^2 thing :)