• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
e
Hi... I am learning Pure Maths 2&3 now, chapter 19(Differential Eqn). I have this question I can't seem to get it right:
Find the general solution of the differential equations:
(a) 4+x(dy/dx)=y^2

The answer key says that:
y=2(1-kx^4)/(1+kx^4) while my answer is y=2(1+kx^4)/(1-kx^4)

Please tell me what is wrong.. Any help is appreciated :)
i'm getting the answer u got too, mayB it's just a printing error in the answer key

Dug

Reaction score
assalamualaikum!! can u please help me with this?
given the differential equation:
dH/dt = (100-H)^3
solve the differential equation, given tht H=101 when t=0, giving H in terms of t.

my answer is: H= 100+ (1/(2t+1)^0.5), i've taken negative square root, becasue then when t=0, H=101, but the answer in the marking scheme is H= 100- (1/(2t+1)^0.5), wheret=0 will give H=99.
jazaakallah
Walaikum AsSalam wr wb!

dH/dt = (100 - H)³
⌡1/(100 - H)³ dH =⌡ dt
1/(-2)(-1)(100 - H)² = t + c

When H = 101, t = 0
1/2(100 - 101)² = c
c = 1/2

1/2(100 - H)² = t + 1/2
Rearrange and take square root and you get H = 100 - √1/(2t + 1)

Reaction score
Walaikum AsSalam wr wb!

dH/dt = (100 - H)³
⌡1/(100 - H)³ dH =⌡ dt
1/(-2)(-1)(100 - H)² = t + c

When H = 101, t = 0
1/2(100 - 101)² = c
c = 1/2

1/2(100 - H)² = t + 1/2
Rearrange and take square root and you get H = 100 - √1/(2t + 1)

hehehe! i've been able to work it out up to here, but i think when we take square root, we will have to take the negative, because if u replace for t=0 in your answer, H will be 99, not 101

Dug

Reaction score
hehehe! i've been able to work it out up to here, but i think when we take square root, we will have to take the negative, because if u replace for t=0 in your answer, H will be 99, not 101
I am assuming H is the height, right? Could you write the whole statement? Your answer seems correct if you put it like that but I still think there is a reason for the answer in markscheme.

Reaction score
I am assuming H is the height, right? Could you write the whole statement? Your answer seems correct if you put it like that but I still think there is a reason for the answer in markscheme.

In an industrial process, a control mechanism supplies heating and cooling in such a way that the temperature H and the time t (each measured in suitable units) are related by the differential equation:
dH/dt = (100 - H)³

Dug

Reaction score
In an industrial process, a control mechanism supplies heating and cooling in such a way that the temperature H and the time t (each measured in suitable units) are related by the differential equation:
dH/dt = (100 - H)³
I think your answer is correct. The markscheme is wrong..

Reaction score
I think your answer is correct. The markscheme is wrong..

only for the value t=0 that only one solution is correct, if we replace t by any other value, then the value of H obtained will satisfy both solutions :unsure:

Dug

Reaction score
only for the value t=0 that only one solution is correct, if we replace t by any other value, then the value of H obtained will satisfy both solutions :unsure:
How so? We get different values of H from both equations...

Reaction score
pls help me in solving thesse permutations and cmbinations questions

1.In how many ways can 8 similar balls be placed in three diffrent boxes when each box contains at least 1 ball...
ans: 21
2.if 8 balls to b selected from 3 balls of different colours, balls of each colour being availbale unlimited no. of times.total no. of selection is:
3.no. of ways in which 4 letters of the word MATHEMATICS can be arranged:
ans:2454
4. no. of squares on a chessboard:
ans: 204(i know this cud be done as 1^2+2^2+3^2+....8^2, but pls explain how to do it in terms of permutations or combinations)
PLS HELP FAAAAST ANYONE PLSSSSSSS....

Reaction score
Can u please give me the answer for this statistics 1 question

Give an example for a statement of Fact and write down the data that could be extracted from it. What are the variables in your data? Point out a qualitative variable, a discrete variable in your data and state whether they assume continuous values or discrete values.

Reaction score
Salams. I'm starting this year my AS in Maths and it happens that im still confused about some issues in surds and indices.
So can someone plz help me out
cube-root.gif
2 +
cube-root.gif

Reaction score
Q ] A (7,2) and C (1,4) are two vertices of a square ABCD.
(a) Find the equation of the diagonal BD.
(b) Find the coordinates of B and D.

First part answer is [ Y = 3X - 9 ]
Second part answer is (3,0) and (5,6)

HOW TO WE SOLVE THE SECOND PART

Reaction score
Hello. I'm having surds and indices in school. PURE MATHEMATICS 1 - HUGH NEIL AND DOUGLAS QUADLING
page 29 , miscellaneous exercises 2 - 4(c)
can someone explain to me this step by step. Thank you