• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score

This is how I do it.
The two complex roots are 1+√2i and 1-√2i
If you kept it in the form of factors it would be [x-(1+√2i)] and [x-(1-√2i)]. These are the two factors of p(x)
If you multiply these two factors you get a quadratic equation.
(x-1-√2i) * (x-1+√2i)
= x^2 -x +√2xi -x +1 -√2i -√2ix +√2i -(√2i)^2
=x^2 -2x +1 +2
=x^2 -2x +3

Now use long division to divide p(x) by this quadratic factor to get the other two factors.
Hope this helps!

Reaction score
Reaction score
After I went through the question. The initial mass (t=0) of substance B, which is also y is 70. The question asks for percentage mass remaining. Since the mass remaining as t increase to infinite is 70/e, the percentage mass remaining should be (remaining/initial) x 100 , which is also [(70/e)/70]x100.
I hope you understand it. =)
Is it something like this? Then i tend to infinity and obtain P = 100/e

IMG019.jpg
THANK YOU SO MUCH!! Remembered in my prayers!

Reaction score
1/(2x-1)(x-1) . Find the bionomial expression upto x^3 and find the range of values of x for this expression is valid.
For range, the ans is -0.5<x<0.5, how?

Reaction score
Can some one give me a detailed explanation for the follwing question
2012 - MJ - 9709 - Statistics - AS - p61-
doubt_p61_q6 2011_MJ.jpg

Reaction score
It's better you show all the steps for whichever method you choose. Because with vectors there's always more than one way to obtain answer. You can do whatever way seems easy or short to you but show how you've done it.

it's actually june 2010 paper 32 qp 9. (ii) 6 marks where they ask find the length of AB, given the line equation that meet the plane p at A and plane q at B so that AB direction vector would just be the direction vector given in the line eq. so instead I just find |AB| magnitude and got the correct answer, that's very short and I got 3 which is correct in markscheme. So should I explain it in words then?

Reaction score
Reaction score
Aoa wr wb'
Could someone please urgently post some good short notes on vectors??
JazakAllah khair!

Reaction score
it's actually june 2010 paper 32 qp 9. (ii) 6 marks where they ask find the length of AB, given the line equation that meet the plane p at A and plane q at B so that AB direction vector would just be the direction vector given in the line eq. so instead I just find |AB| magnitude and got the correct answer, that's very short and I got 3 which is correct in markscheme. So should I explain it in words then?

I don't think you should have to... but I can't be certain