• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Pretty simple question from mechanics.
A lift bringing miners to the surface of a mine shaft is moving with an acceleration of 1.2 m.s-2 . The total mass of the cage and the miners is 1600kg. Find the tension in the cable.

For some reason I'm getting 17920, where as the answer is 17900. Ugh, help please .___.

Reaction score
Mechanics question!
A car of mass 1000 kg moves along a horizontal straight road with its engine working at a contant rate of 25 KW. Assuming the work done by the car's engine is equal to kinetic energy generated, find the time taken to reach a speed of 30m/s.
The actual time taken is 31.6s and the car travels a distance of 680m in this time. Assuming there's an air resistance of magnitude R newtons,
(I) find the value of R.
(ii) the acceleration of the car when it's speed reaches 30m/s.
Please help :( thanks :D

Reaction score
A lift bringing miners to the surface of a mine shaft is moving with an acceleration of 1.2 m.s-2 . The total mass of the cage and the miners is 1600kg. Find the tension in the cable.

For some reason I'm getting 17920, where as the answer is 17900. Ugh, help please .___.
I got 17920 too :/ , maybe the answer is corrected to the nearest 100th

Reaction score
hi can anyone here tell me any good books for pure mathematics except for the cambridge one because its not that good :)

Reaction score
Reaction score

I think your answer is correct, its just they make it into 3 significant figures.. hope it helps..:)

Reaction score
i dont know how my friend solved this question the solution is below that question can anyone tell me as to how he got that angle 97.1 degrees

Attachments

• mathematics question.JPG
    mathematics question.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
hello i need help with this question !! so annoying..
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/...AS Level/Mathematics (9709)/9709_w06_qp_3.pdf
question 7(ii)..how do we solve 2 equations with 3 unknowns Oo if we have these 2 equations a+2b+c = 0 and a-2b+c = 0
pleeaasee do help me !

You can't solve such an equation.

If you use the vector product method, you can calculate the normal of the second plane because it's perpendicular to both the direction vector of line l and normal of plane 1. It's easier to visualise this if you draw it onto paper.

Reaction score
Mechanics question!
A car of mass 1000 kg moves along a horizontal straight road with its engine working at a contant rate of 25 KW. Assuming the work done by the car's engine is equal to kinetic energy generated, find the time taken to reach a speed of 30m/s.
The actual time taken is 31.6s and the car travels a distance of 680m in this time. Assuming there's an air resistance of magnitude R newtons,
(I) find the value of R.
(ii) the acceleration of the car when it's speed reaches 30m/s.
Please help :( thanks :D
can u please tell me the source of this question so that i could read from that source and compare the answers actually i get a different value for time taken

Reaction score
Mj 2007. Paper 01..
Question 3.. Prove the identity
Help plzz
1-tan^2x/1+tan^2x

1-sin^2x/cos^2x * 1/1+sin^2x/cos^2x
LCM
cos^2x-sin^2x/cos^2x * 1 * cos^2x/cos^2x + sin^2x

cos^2x - sin^2x/cos^2x + sin^2x

cos^2x - sin^2x/1

1-sin^2x- sin^2x
1-2sin^2x

Reaction score
How can I solve this ?

z^5 -6z^3 +17z -10=0

Its answer probably contains a complex number ( Pure 3 -Complex numbers chapter )

And another question please ,
Z^4 + 16 =0

==> (z^2-4i )(z^2+4i)
==> (z^2+4i)(z-2root i ) (z+2root i )
==>z=+/-( 2root i ) or z=root(-4i) <<<<what can I do to this now ?

Reaction score
how to integrate 1/(2x-1)ᶺ2

Let y = 1/(2x-1)ᶺ2

it can be re written as y = (2x-1)ᶺ (-2)

Differentiating gives us = -2 * [(2x-1)ᶺ (-3)] * 2
= -4 [(2x-1)ᶺ (-3)]
= -4/[(2x-1)ᶺ3]

The way of doing it, is we are differentiating the function of a function which is of the form y = [ f(x) ] ^ n

we send the power down, we subtract 1 from the power and the we multiply by the derivative of the inside of the bracket i.e by the derivative of f(x)

Reaction score
Firstly, I apologise for the late reply. :/ You may not need this anymore, but this question is really interesting! :)

Lets say E is the expected time of reaching safety.
=> E = (1/3).2 + (1/3).(3+E) + (1/3).(5+E) (probability of 1st pick + probability of 2nd pick + probability of 3rd pick. E is added in 2nd and 3rd pick cuz the person is in the exact same scenario after travelling those 3 and 5 hours, respectively.)
=> E = [2+ (3+ E) + (5 + E)]/3
=> 3E = 2E + 10
=> E = 10.

So, it would take the person 10 hours (estimated).
Thank you for your help :)
We did it this way, and we THINK we got it correct (since we came second)
Let the 3 doors be A ( leading to safety in 2hrs)
B ( bringing man back in 3hrs) n
C ( " " " 5hrs)

possible pathway - probability - time taken
1. A - (1/3) - 2hrs
2. B,A - (1/3).(1/3)= 1/9 - 5hrs
3. C,A - 1/9 - 7hrs
4. B,C,A or C,B,A - 1/27 - 10hrs

so expected time= one with max probability= 2hrs

What do you think?

Reaction score
Thank you for your help :)
We did it this way, and we THINK we got it correct (since we came second)
Let the 3 doors be A ( leading to safety in 2hrs)
B ( bringing man back in 3hrs) n
C ( " " " 5hrs)

possible pathway - probability - time taken
1. A - (1/3) - 2hrs
2. B,A - (1/3).(1/3)= 1/9 - 5hrs
3. C,A - 1/9 - 7hrs
4. B,C,A or C,B,A - 1/27 - 10hrs

so expected time= one with max probability= 2hrs

What do you think?
I still think the expected time owuld be the sum of all probabilities like it always is. :) Your solution would be completely correct only if the maximum probabilty was 1 i.e. A was certain to happen so the expected time would definitely be 2 hours.
P.S. Which contest was this?

Reaction score
Let y = 1/(2x-1)ᶺ2

it can be re written as y = (2x-1)ᶺ (-2)

Differentiating gives us = -2 * [(2x-1)ᶺ (-3)] * 2
= -4 [(2x-1)ᶺ (-3)]
= -4/[(2x-1)ᶺ3]

The way of doing it, is we are differentiating the function of a function which is of the form y = [ f(x) ] ^ n

we send the power down, we subtract 1 from the power and the we multiply by the derivative of the inside of the bracket i.e by the derivative of f(x)
hey i meant to integrate not differentiate.