• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Hello, I need help on the last part of this question.

I got the equation like in the mark scheme but how do you get x approaches 10 for the last part?

Thanks Capture2.PNGCapture.PNG

Attachments

• Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    54.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    12.2 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
Hi can anyone help me in ths question. I dnt know what to do in the second part.

Question is : the parametric equation of a curve are x=2cost , y=5+3cos2t , where 0<t<pie .
Express dy by dx in terms of t, and hence show that the gradient at any point of the curve is less than 6.

Reaction score
Hi can anyone help me in ths question. I dnt know what to do in the second part.

Question is : the parametric equation of a curve are x=2cost , y=5+3cos2t , where 0<t<pie .
Express dy by dx in terms of t, and hence show that the gradient at any point of the curve is less than 6.

dy/dt = -6sin2t, dx/dt= -2sint

dy/dx = dy/dt divided by dx/dt = -6sin2t/-2sint = 3sin2t /sin t =3 (2sint cost)/sin t = 6 cost
Since 0<t<pi, -6 <6cost <6 (shown)
Note that dy/dx denotes the gradient function of the curve at a generic point for a parameter value of t.

Hope this helps. Peace.

Reaction score
I am reposting this.. is anyone willing to help me?? :(

8KlqC.jpg

The diagram shows the graph of y = x^n, where n is an integer. Given that the curve passes between the points (2, 200) and (2, 2000), determine the value of n.

Please explain the solution step-by-step.. thanks!

What exactly do you mean by passing between the points? Does the curve pass through those two given points?

If it does, you may wish to check if you have provided the correct set of coordinates. It is obvious the graph is strictly increasing but yet your two points have the same x-values (which means the strictly increasing nature of the graph automatically breaks down).

Peace.

Reaction score

now use values of t like o pi/2 and pi to get different ans of dy/dx. u will get values less then 6 :) hope this image is clear

Attachments

• ss.jpg
    ss.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
Assalamoalaikum Wr Wb!

Post your doubts here. Make sure you give the link to the question paper when posting your doubts.

May Allah give us all success in this world as well as the HereAfter...Aameen!! :)

And oh yeah, let me put up some links for A level Maths Notes here.

Check this out! - Nice website, with video tutorials!

My P1 Notes! - Only few chapters available at the moment!

Maths Notes by destined007

Some Notes for P1 and P3 - shared by hamidali391

A LEVEL MATHS TOPIC WISE NOTES

MATHS A LEVEL LECTURES

compiled pastpapers p3 and p4 - by haseebriaz

Permutations and Combinations (my explanation)- P6

Permutations and Combinations - P6

Vectors - P3

Complex No. max/min IzI and arg(z) - P3

Sketcing Argand Diagrams - P3 (click to download..shared by ffaadyy)

Range of a function. - P1

Jazak Allah Khair!
mathy..
Thanks for the notes.... really helpful :)
http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/...AS Level/Mathematics (9709)/9709_s05_qp_3.pdf I need help with no. 8 part ii)
and also, on number 2 the mark scheme says the height is 0.6.... how can that be when the range for x is -0.6 to 0.6??

Reaction score
I am reposting this.. is anyone willing to help me?? :(

8KlqC.jpg

The diagram shows the graph of y = x^n, where n is an integer. Given that the curve passes between the points (2, 200) and (2, 2000), determine the value of n.

Please explain the solution step-by-step.. thanks!

Bro there are 2 mistakes in ur question.
1st= Ur questions says there are two values of y when x=2, but ur graph doesnt support it
2nd= I dont think u will hv a integer value for n...

Reaction score
can any good one draw the last part only with a little working to meake me understand please thanks :)

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    42.9 KB · Views: 7