• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
bamteck
For Question#3, we apply the parallelogram rule and hence construct a disgram like this is mind. Then take one of the two triangles and apply sine rule to them. If you consider the first triangle in the diagram below, then Q/sin40 = 12/sin60. Solve this to get the value of Q directly as 8.91
Q_3.JPG

Reaction score
@bamtech For Q#4, i've resolved the 5N force in the direction of the 40cm string. The force will hence be 5/cos A if A is the angle formed b/w the 5N force and its component. Applying sine rule to the triangle and using the given lengths, we first find the angle formed b/w PS and AS which is 36.9. Then considering the right-angled triangle formed, you just subtract 90+36.9 out of 180 to find the angle between PS and its vertical. The angle is equal to A(as its vertically opp.) and when put into 5/cos A gives you the tension in the string PS.
Q4.JPG

Reaction score
@bamtech For Q#4, i've resolved the 5N force in the direction of the 40cm string. The force will hence be 5/cos A if A is the angle formed b/w the 5N force and its component. Applying sine rule to the triangle and using the given lengths, we first find the angle formed b/w PS and AS which is 36.9. Then considering the right-angled triangle formed, you just subtract 90+36.9 out of 180 to find the angle between PS and its vertical. The angle is equal to A(as its vertically opp.) and when put into 5/cos A gives you the tension in the string PS.
View attachment 16174

thanks a lot :)
much appreciated ! :)

Reaction score
heyy guys, does anyone whether there is any pattern for AS level P1 papers n the past years... I'm doing P12... Please help me out if anyone knows.. please....

Reaction score
Help!!!
Find the sum of the A.P. -7-3+1+.... From the seventh to the thirtieth term inclusive.

Reaction score
Help!!!
Find the sum of the A.P. -7-3+1+.... From the seventh to the thirtieth term inclusive.
seventh term=a+6d
=-7+6(4)
=17
13th term=a+12d
=-7+12(4)
=41

Number tems bw 7 &13=6
sum of Ap=6/2(41+17)
=174
Hope iam right not 100% sure:)

Reaction score
seventh term=a+6d
=-7+6(4)
=17
13th term=a+12d
=-7+12(4)
=41

Number tems bw 7 &13=6
sum of Ap=6/2(41+17)
=174
Hope iam right not 100% sure:)
Your working is right, but the Number of terms between 7 & 13 should be 7, not 6. If you use that the sum = 203 which i think is correct

The sum shud b 1512 :/
Are you sure, i doubt it. Like even if you do it without using a formula (getting all the terms up to 13 and then adding from the 7th to the 13th) you won't get that answer :/

Tkp

Reaction score
can sme1 help me with the cosine curves in as.like i have problms in this equation 3-4cosx.

Reaction score
Your working is right, but the Number of terms between 7 & 13 should be 7, not 6. If you use that the sum = 203 which i think is correct

Are you sure, i doubt it. Like even if you do it without using a formula (getting all the terms up to 13 and then adding from the 7th to the 13th) you won't get that answer :/
sorry my mistake i dont get how the sum be so big if u do it widout formula it doesnt come that big...

Reaction score
whitecorp can you or someone else please explain me the M/J 2012 Paper 11 Q. no 7 b) i). Sorry no links to the papers because they are not yet uploaded in the Xtremepapers.

Reaction score
IGCSE Maths algebra 1 Page 77 Q 19
The numerator of a fraction is 1 less than the denominator .When both numerator and denomerator are increased by 2 , the fraction is increased by 1/12.Find the original fraction .

Reaction score
whitecorp can you or someone else please explain me the M/J 2012 Paper 11 Q. no 7 b) i). Sorry no links to the papers because they are not yet uploaded in the Xtremepapers.

I remember doing this question, and getting it wrong lol. Convergent means like the GP is going to a number but it never actually gets to that number, like you know when r of the GP is less than 1 and you have to find the sum to infinity, thats the number that it approaches but it will never get to that number! So basically you will say ((Second Term of GP)/(First Term of GP)) < 1 . Then you solve that equation that you get...

Reaction score
can sme1 help me with the cosine curves in as.like i have problms in this equation 3-4cosx.
AcosBx+c
A=amplitude
B=frequency
C=starting line (normally we start the curve frm zero but when C is their we start it in ur case from 3)

Reaction score
I remember doing this question, and getting it wrong lol. Convergent means like the GP is going to a number but it never actually gets to that number, like you know when r of the GP is less than 1 and you have to find the sum to infinity, thats the number that it approaches but it will never get to that number! So basically you will say ((Second Term of GP)/(First Term of GP)) < 1 . Then you solve that equation that you get...
how we solve tan^2???can usolve it
http://olevel.sourceforge.net/papers/9709/9709_s12_qp_11.pdf