• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
heyy guys, does anyone whether there is any pattern for AS level P1 papers n the past years... I'm doing P12... Please help me out if anyone knows.. please....

Reaction score
Help on P2 questions needed!!! (here @= theta)
Q. The Parametric equation of a curve are
X=2@+cos@ y= @+sin@

0≤@≤2π

1. Find dy/dx in terms of @. (no problem on this one)
2. Show that, at points on the curve where the gradient is 3/4 the parameter @ satisfies an equation of the form:
5sin(@+α)=2 , where the value of α is to be stated.
3. Solve the equation in part(ii) to find 2 possible values of @.

Here are the full solutions.

You may wish to take note that (ii) uses the R-formula; you can refer to this piece I written on my supplementary site:
http://www.msharpener.com/2012/09/trigonometric-formulae-2.html

Hope this helps. Peace.

Reaction score
whitecorp and others
need some help here integrating:
find the volume of the solid formed when the graph of y = (1/x*2) between x=1 and x=2 is rotated about the x - axis.
answer is: 2 Π ln2

Reaction score
whitecorp and others
need some help here integrating:
find the volume of the solid formed when the graph of y = (1/x*2) between x=1 and x=2 is rotated about the x - axis.
answer is: 2 Π ln2

Is that y=1/(x^2) ? Because if it is then I am positive the answer you provided is incorrect.

Reaction score
Is that y=1/(x^2) ? Because if it is then I am positive the answer you provided is incorrect.
yes it is.....the textbook says the answer is 2.pi.ln2....what answer did you get...and how did you arrive at it? the textbook might be wrong

Reaction score
whitecorp plz help me with second one :(

The series 1+3+5+...........+(2n-1) constitutes an arithmetic progression (AP) that has n terms in all, first term of value 1 and common difference =2.
Then we can simply use formula for sum to n terms, which is given by (number of terms divided by 2)*(sum of first term and last term)
=n/2 * (1+2n-1) = n/2 * (2n) =n^2 (shown)

Hope this helps. Peace.

Reaction score
The series 1+3+5+...........+(2n-1) constitutes an arithmetic progression (AP) that has n terms in all, first term of value 1 and common difference =2.
Then we can simply use formula for sum to n terms, which is given by (number of terms divided by 2)*(sum of first term and last term)
=n/2 * (1+2n-1) = n/2 * (2n) =n^2 (shown)

Hope this helps. Peace.
Thnx :) bt hw do v show that it is always a perfect square?