• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
Silent Hunter said:
http://www.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Interna ... 8_qp_6.pdf

STATISTICS
question number 3 ... may be its simple but i dont get it .... please explain it :)

thanks

Assalamoalaikum!

(i) Since all jazz are together...consider that as one set...so n = 9 now

No. of arrangements = 9! x 3! [[[3! cuz jazz can be arranged among themselves since they're all different]]]

(ii) since these are just selections ..use nCr...

2P x 2J x 1C = 6C2 x 3C2 x 2C1

Reaction score
HAS ANYONE TAKEN S2 IN A LEVELS?????? I HAVE HEARD THAT IT IS DIFFICULT. BUT I HAVE TAKEN S1 IN AS......
MY OTHER SUBJECTS ARE ACCOUNTS ,ECONOMICS AND LAW......
MANY HAVE SUGGESTED ME THAT I SHOULD GO FOR S2 BECAUSE IT WILL BENEFIT ME ALOT.
SO PLEASE ADVICE AND POOL IN SUGGESTIONS THAT HOW THIS SUBJECT IS.

PLEASE ASAP:)

Reaction score
no i havent taken it..........I am taking C1 C2 C3 C4 S1 and M1 i have heard that these are the maths which are required in a levels for science students...........I am not sure about S2.........but anyways u are in commerce .........so i am not sure if S2 is necessary for u...........cz the commerce people dont need to do maths.........its not needed for their field.........thats what i know so far. :)

Reaction score
Q)A particle P is projected vertically upwards from O with velocity 40 m/s. One second later, another particle Q is projected from O with the same vertical velocity.After what time and what height will the two particles collide?

(Please include explanation because I do have the solution but I cant understand it....and does anyone of you know some rules or a website explaning the topic 'Motion of two particles, or more simple, kinematics of a particle' Thanks in advance :)

Reaction score
Are there any notes available on Complex Numbers? The topic, Loci of Complex Numbers in specific.

Reaction score
Range means the set of values for f(x). In this case, you will simply look at the form of the euation you created in part (i) and recall the concept of forming the range using it. The minimum f(x) will be "c" for the corresponding x=-b. So the range will be f(x)>="c" (c is 3 in this case).

The largest value of A will be -b (2 in this case), since it is the turning point and divides the graph into exactly two parts and ensures that each value value of x maps only one value of f(x) so that the function could be one-one. Try drawing a graph for the inverse and you'll understand.

As for the use of > or >= for the range, just observe the given domain in the question. The sign that domain has, is the one usually taken for the range. In part two, >= was obvious because the minimum value of f(x) itself has to be included.

Reaction score
hamidali391 said:
The largest value of A will be -b (2 in this case), since it is the turning point and divides the graph into exactly two parts and ensures that each value value of x maps only one value of f(x) so that the function could be one-one. Try drawing a graph for the inverse and you'll understand.

As for the use of > or >= for the range, just observe the given domain in the question. The sign that domain has, is the one usually taken for the range. In part two, >= was obvious because the minimum value of f(x) itself has to be included.

thanks... i did not understand this part

Reaction score
First of all, you need to know the basic concept of what an inverse of a function is and what does it represent for a quadratic function. For a function to have an inverse there should be one value of x for each f(x) for it to be a one-one function. I thought, you understood it well since you didn't ask for the third part. You can't have an inverse for a full quadratic function, hence, you choose a part of the domain. In this case you choose the part that divides the graph in exactly two parts. x=2 being the line of symmetry does exactly that.

If you still don't understand, grab the Add Maths book and look at the introduction for the chapter or search a few videos on youtube. The reason for you not understanding is because you probably don't have the knowledge of terms being used in my explanation. Just search them up and you'll understand.

Attachments

• functions.png
    functions.png
    11.5 KB · Views: 80
Reaction score
Find how many different odd 4-digit numbers less than 4000 can be made from the digits 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 if no digit must be repeated. (Ans: 200)

PLEASE EXPLAIN AND SOLVE because I have not understood

THANKs A Lot!!!!!

Reaction score
Salam..
need help in june 2008/p3/q8...
cnt gt how 2 solve da 1st part...
plx helppp..

Reaction score
rviboy said:
http://www.xtremepapers.com/CIE/International%20A%20And%20AS%20Level/9709%20-%20Mathematics/9709_s11_qp_11.pdf

5 i ) 6ii ) and 8 plz help if possible. not urgent. nd i have the marking scheme so answer in a detail way or plz identify which concept or the trick i m missing in these particular question. May God bless u thanks!!!!!
5i) tan = sin/cos
cos^2 = 1- sin^2
2[sin^2/cos^2] * sin^2 = 1
(2 sin^4)/cos^2 = 1
2 sin^4 = cos^2
2 sin^4 = 1 - sin^2
2sin^4 + sin^2 -1 =0

Reaction score
rviboy said:
http://www.xtremepapers.com/CIE/International%20A%20And%20AS%20Level/9709%20-%20Mathematics/9709_s11_qp_11.pdf

5 i ) 6ii ) and 8 plz help if possible. not urgent. nd i have the marking scheme so answer in a detail way or plz identify which concept or the trick i m missing in these particular question. May God bless u thanks!!!!!
6ii) stationery value is when derivative is zero...
dz/dx = 3(1) + (-1) 1200 * x^-2
= 3 - (1200/x^2)
for stationery value of x:
3 - (1200/x^2) = 0
3 = 1200/x^2
400 = x^2
x = 20
for stationery value of z input the value of x in the original equation = 3(20) + (1200/20)
= 120
for determining the nature, find the double derivative of the equation
= 0 - (-2) 1200 * x^-3
2400/x^3
2400/20^3
0.3 is greater than zero so the nature is minimum