• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
View attachment 52128
in part 1 i used v=u+at but the ans turned out to be wrong why??
i used vP= 1.3 +(0.1*20)=3.3m/s
ince vP=vQ so 3.3= vQ
thus, at t=20s 3.3= uQ+(0.016*20) uQ= 3.3-0.32=2.98m/s
Whereas, in markscheme the formula s=ut+1/2at^2 is used which gives the ans 0.1m/s
Can someone explain why cant we use v=u+at here???
Firstly, equations of motion are to be used only when acceleration is constant. Particle P is moving at a constant speed, but Q is not. Your using v=u+at to find v = 3.3 for P is correct. For Q however, none of the equations of motion can be used, because Q's acceleration is not constant. You will have to integrate the acceleration to find its velocity function. When you integrate, the velocity function will include a +c, the arbitrary constant. By knowing that when t=20, v=3.3 for Q, you're able to substitute this into velocity function, to find the arbitrary constant, and thus able to find v when t=0.

Reaction score
P13 nov 2014 maths.PNG
to find f '(x) integration= y= -18/x^2 +c ...why do we have to use x=0 to find c why not the x of stationary point that is 3?

Reaction score
Firstly, equations of motion are to be used only when acceleration is constant. Particle P is moving at a constant speed, but Q is not. Your using v=u+at to find v = 3.3 for P is correct. For Q however, none of the equations of motion can be used, because Q's acceleration is not constant. You will have to integrate the acceleration to find its velocity function. When you integrate, the velocity function will include a +c, the arbitrary constant. By knowing that when t=20, v=3.3 for Q, you're able to substitute this into velocity function, to find the arbitrary constant, and thus able to find v when t=0.
how can i figure out from the question that the acceleration is not constant?

Reaction score
View attachment 52134
to find f '(x) integration= y= -18/x^2 +c ...why do we have to use x=0 to find c why not the x of stationary point that is 3?
x=3 will be used and the equation will be equal to 0 as dy/dx is 0.
how can i figure out from the question that the acceleration is not constant?
For P the acceleration is constant as the acceleration is just a number but for Q the expression involves time too. This means it varies according to time and hence is not constant.

Reaction score
x=3 will be used and the equation will be equal to 0 as dy/dx is 0.

For P the acceleration is constant as the acceleration is just a number but for Q the expression involves time too. This means it varies according to time and hence is not constant.
thnks :D

Reaction score

Hi,
5)
i) they want the KE gain of the whole system, we know that KE=1/2mv^2
We know block A mass= 5 kg and B= 16 kg
So KE of whole system = (1/2)5v^2 + (1/2)16v^2 = 10.5v^2 J

ii) a) we need the loss of PE of the system. We know that PE= mgh and we know they moved a distance of x
We also know that the loss of PE of the system= Loss of b - gain of A
Well, logically B lost PE it moved downwards, so PE Loss of b= mgh= 16(10)(x) J
Also, A gained PE it moved up the slope, use basic trigonometry to find the distance it moved vertically up in terms of x.
So PE gain of A= mgh= 5(10)(xsin30) J
Loss of PE of the system= 16(10)(x) - 5(10)(xsin30)= 160x - 25x= 135x J

b) here we need the work done against friction. We know that f=uR and work = FxD
given u= 1/root3
We have to resolve, take y axis perpendicular to slope. We have R acting upwards along y axis and we have the component of weight of A acting downwards along y axis. Now R= Wcos30=50cos30= 25root3.
So friction = uR= (1/root3)(25root3)= 25 N
So work done against friction = 25x J since it moved a distance of x

iii) we know that Gain in KE= Loss in PE - work done to oppose friction
So 10.5v^2= 135x - 25x
10.5v^2 = 110x
Multiply both sides by 2
21v^2= 220x

Reaction score
can someone tell me when continuity correction has to be done for calculation mean/variance for a histogram data in s1?