• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

asd

Reaction score
But for the same question daredevil asked, why doesn't my method work?
Here's the method sumeru:

Since they ask for the shortest distance from the point p to the line that lies ON the plane, so we can use the normal vector of the plane as the directional vector for the line equation PX, where X is a point on the plane where a line from P and the line (given in the question) on the plane intersect.
So my line equation for PX becomes: <0,2,4> +b<2,-2,3>
Now, if I put into the plane, 2x-2y+3z=1 this point, <2t, 2-2t, 4+3t> to find the value of b, and then by substituting this value into the line equation of PX, am I finding the the position vector for X where the line from P intersect the line in the equation on the plane?
Why is thisi method wrong?

Reaction score
Oct Nov 2007, Q7, part (ii) Why are we supposed to use the radian mode instead of degree mode?
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/...AS Level/Mathematics (9709)/9709_w07_qp_3.pdf
Well, in our P3, we mostly use the angles in radians, unless specified in the questi
But for the same question daredevil asked, why doesn't my method work?
Here's the method sumeru:

Since they ask for the shortest distance from the point p to the line that lies ON the plane, so we can use the normal vector of the plane as the directional vector for the line equation PX, where X is a point on the plane where a line from P and the line (given in the question) on the plane intersect.
So my line equation for PX becomes: <0,2,4> +b<2,-2,3>
Now, if I put into the plane, 2x-2y+3z=1 this point, <2t, 2-2t, 4+3t> to find the value of b, and then by substituting this value into the line equation of PX, am I finding the the position vector for X where the line from P intersect the line in the equation on the plane?
Why is thisi method wrong?
Are you giving me the method or asking whether it is correct or not?