• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
umm ok this is a method known as assumed mean, you basically take a number and assume that it is the mean of a set of numbers (lets say we have 16, 17, 19, 21, 22) so I 'assume' the mean is 20 and the i calculate the difference of every number from that assumed mean. first lets just do it. then i'll explain this in statistical sense
so the five numbers are
16, 17, 19, 21, 22 and the assumed mean was 20, so find the difference for each of these numbers from 20,= -4, -3 ,-1, 1, 2 these are the respective differences

so you add all the differences and you have -5
so you have the sum of (x - 20) = -5
since there were five numbers, divide -5 by 5
x-20 = -5/5
x-20 = -1
x = 19 (voila, this is the real mean)

so when in your question they give you
Σ(x-45) = -148 45 here is the assumed mean, and -148 is the added difference of 36 values from 45
x-45 = -148/36
x-45 = -4.11
x = -4.11 + 45
x = 40.89 (the real mean :) )
= 40.9 (to one d.p.)

so the formula for the mean is
[ Σ(x-a) ]/ n , a is the assumed mean and n is the number,

similarly in the question there is given Σ(x-45)^2 = 3089 (i'll use Σ(x-a) as Σy so Σ(x-a)^2 will be Σy^2
the variance is calculated by [(Σy^2 )/n ] - [y' ^2] (y' is the mean)
sorry that looks so complicated umm in words variance is Σ y^2 divided by n, minus the mean squared
and standard deviation will be squareroot of variance

Oh thank you so much !! but one more question please . which mean is used then for the standard deviation calculation ?

Reaction score
dat is the only part where I am losing two marks .. i did silliest mistake ... besides many at my centres were having theses two values
many here also..i for one got the root3a but others got 2a and i was pretty sure i am right and they are pretty sure they are right. so unless the questions were different or many people missed something then i dont know how so many people cna be so convinced with 2 answers.

Reaction score
many here also..i for one got the root3a but others got 2a and i was pretty sure i am right and they are pretty sure they are right. so unless the questions were different or many people missed something then i dont know how so many people cna be so convinced with 2 answers.

exactly many good students were having this conflict ..
and I was out of league .. i got neither .. :p

Reaction score
exactly many good students were having this conflict ..
and I was out of leagur .. i got neither .. :p
the questions werent very hard i did really bad though but it was lengthy really lengthy and so i made silly mistakes in differential eqn and vectors 2nd part was really quite easy if i had a good read of it. i had like 10mins for both vector questions and i messed up in the 2nd one badly

Reaction score
Messed up vectors.. I took too long to understand the last part of that question... Might loose a mark or two elsewhere too.
Aww ... I was close to messing up that part ... thanks to the tension that Q5 built up .. but thank god i got it in the end :)

Reaction score
the questions werent very hard i did really bad though but it was lengthy really lengthy and so i made silly mistakes in differential eqn and vectors 2nd part was really quite easy if i had a good read of it. i had like 10mins for both vector questions and i messed up in the 2nd one badly

It happens bro ... I didnt substitute y^2 in Q.5 silliest mistake anyone could do -.-