• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Find the integer values for x which satisfy the inequality. -3 < 2x -1 <= 6.
please tell me explain me how to do this..? :cry:
-3 < 2x -1 <= 6 --> -2 < 2x <= 7

--> -1 < x <= 3.5

What integers are there between -1 and 3.5 (not including 1)? The only possibilities are 0, 1, 2 and 3.

Reaction score
'The angle that AB makes with the x-axis' is the same as 'the angle that AB makes with any line parallel to the x-axis.'

So draw lines east of A and south of B to make a right-angled triangle. Then use trigonometry to find the angle between AB and the east line.
Thank you

Reaction score
hey guys. I always get stuck on the last page of paper 4 when it starts talking about nth terms and (n+1)th terms...
anyway u guys know to make it easy???

Reaction score
anybody has notes for transformation stastics and matrices need it asap paper is in less than a week

Reaction score
hey guys. I always get stuck on the last page of paper 4 when it starts talking about nth terms and (n+1)th terms...
anyway u guys know to make it easy???
If you have a sequence e.g. 2, 4, 6, 8, ... that has an nth term then the (n+1)th term is given by the sequence 4, 6, 8, 10, ... (it starts one term after). Similarly, the (n-1)th term gives you the sequence 0, 2, 4, 6, ...

The nth term is a function where the input is the position and the output is the term, so I will write it as f(n )

E.g. 2, 4, 6, 8, ... : The nth term is f(n ) = 2n

Then the (n+1)th term is f(n+1) = 2(n+1) = 2n+2

And the (n-1)th term is f(n-1) = 2(n-1) = 2n-2.

Does this make sense?

Reaction score
sor
If you have a sequence e.g. 2, 4, 6, 8, ... that has an nth term then the (n+1)th term is given by the sequence 4, 6, 8, 10, ... (it starts one term after). Similarly, the (n-1)th term gives you the sequence 0, 2, 4, 6, ...

The nth term is a function where the input is the position and the output is the term, so I will write it as f(n )

E.g. 2, 4, 6, 8, ... : The nth term is f(n ) = 2n

Then the (n+1)th term is f(n+1) = 2(n+1) = 2n+2

And the (n-1)th term is f(n-1) = 2(n-1) = 2n-2.

Does this make sense?
sort of, but isn't tehre a formula for a quadratic sequence nth term?

Reaction score
what is a quadratic sequence
A quadratic sequence is a sequence where the 'second difference' is constant.

E.g. 3, 5, 8, 12, 17, ...

The 'first differences' are 2, 3, 4, 5, ... and the second difference is 1 (constant) so this is a quadratic sequence.

The nth term of a quadratic sequence is always in the form an^2 + bn + c.

a is the second difference divided by 2. You can find b and c by substituting values and solving simultaneous equations (you're not expected to this method for IGCSE but they may guide you through it).

So it is not completely necessary to know the method for finding the nth terms of quadratic sequences but it is useful to know. They might ask you simple ones like 1, 4, 9, 16, ... or 2, 6, 12, 20, ...