• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics Confusion!!

Reaction score
Hi all!!
I GOT A PROBLEM AND I'M REALLY CONFUSED,,, WHEN I AM SOLVING A QUESTION IN MATHS,, SOMETIMES MY SOLVING METHOD IS DIFFERENT THEN THE MARK SCHEME BUT THE ANSWER IS TYPICALLY SAME AND MY METHOD IS COMPLETELY CORRECT AND THE STEPS IS ALSO CORRECT,, ALTHOUGH SOME OF MY STEPS IS WRITTEN AS IN THE MARK SCHEME AND THE SAME NUMBERS IS ALSO WRITTEN AS IN THE MARK SCHEME BUT THE PLACES IS DIFFERENT AND SOMETIMES 2 OR 3 NUMBERS IS DIFFERENT BUT ANSWER IS TOTALLY CORRECT,, SO DOES THIS EFFECT UPON THE METHOD MARKS OR IF THE EXAMINER CHECKS IT AND FOUND THAT IT IS CORRECT BUT AS NOT THE SAME AS IN THE MARK SCHEME WILL GIVE ME THE " MY METHOD MARKS " ???

THANKS ALOOOT!!!!!!

Reaction score
Hi all!!
I GOT A PROBLEM AND I'M REALLY CONFUSED,,, WHEN I AM SOLVING A QUESTION IN MATHS,, SOMETIMES MY SOLVING METHOD IS DIFFERENT THEN THE MARK SCHEME BUT THE ANSWER IS TYPICALLY SAME AND MY METHOD IS COMPLETELY CORRECT AND THE STEPS IS ALSO CORRECT,, ALTHOUGH SOME OF MY STEPS IS WRITTEN AS IN THE MARK SCHEME AND THE SAME NUMBERS IS ALSO WRITTEN AS IN THE MARK SCHEME BUT THE PLACES IS DIFFERENT AND SOMETIMES 2 OR 3 NUMBERS IS DIFFERENT BUT ANSWER IS TOTALLY CORRECT,, SO DOES THIS EFFECT UPON THE METHOD MARKS OR IF THE EXAMINER CHECKS IT AND FOUND THAT IT IS CORRECT BUT AS NOT THE SAME AS IN THE MARK SCHEME WILL GIVE ME THE " MY METHOD MARKS " ???

THANKS ALOOOT!!!!!!

I have the exact same problem but i have noticed that generally if it is a huge calculation and you have rounded here and there than your answer becomes less accurate so you will lose marks.
But, if it is a question where your working is fine than yeah of course the marks will be given!

Reaction score
I have the exact same problem but i have noticed that generally if it is a huge calculation and you have rounded here and there than your answer becomes less accurate so you will lose marks.
But, if it is a question where your working is fine than yeah of course the marks will be given!

That sounds really great,, but in case of an algebra word problem question the expressions can be written in a various forms,, it can be written e.g 36/y-36/y+1=25 OR 36/y-25=36/y+1 OR 36/y=36/y+1+25,, in the mark scheme one of those forms is written and i chose a different one from those 3,, so what will happen in that case?
THIS is the question if u need further explain about that type of question "THE COST OF A SMALL BOTTLE OF JUICE IS $Y,,,,, THE COST OF A LARGE BOTTLE OF JUICE IS $(Y+1),,, WHEN CATRIONA SPENDS $36 ON SMALL BOTTLES ONLY, SHE RECEIVES 25 MORE BOTTLES THAN WHEN SHE SPENDS $36 ON LARGE BOTTLES ONLY. (MAY/JUNE 2012 PAPER 43 QUESTION 10 (b).