• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

LUMS SSE admission test

Reaction score
Please can someone tell me the format of the SSE admission test. and also how to prepare for it.

Reaction score
The test is divided into 6 portions: English, basic maths, chem, physics, bio, advanced maths.
the first two sections are compulsory. You have to choose 3 out of the remaining 4.
English portion is easy. It would contain mcqs and fill in the blanks testing your grammatical skills. You also have to write an essay.
chem, phys and bio werent very difficult. basic maths wasnt basic at all! :p (not sure if this is the general rule or it was in my test only)
SAT books are good for preparation.
calculator wont be allowed.

Reaction score
What about those who did FSc. instead of SAT and A levels. Do we have to go through our Matriculation Mathematics textbooks of Punjab or what (as it is mentioned 'basic maths')? And do you have any link to the past/ sample papers of SSE test?
Total no. of mcqs of physics, bio and chem? @avenger

Reaction score
The test is divided into 6 portions: English, basic maths, chem, physics, bio, advanced maths.
the first two sections are compulsory. You have to choose 3 out of the remaining 4.
English portion is easy. It would contain mcqs and fill in the blanks testing your grammatical skills. You also have to write an essay.
chem, phys and bio werent very difficult. basic maths wasnt basic at all! :p (not sure if this is the general rule or it was in my test only)
SAT books are good for preparation.
calculator wont be allowed.
Hey. For English and basic maths we can prepare from SAT book and is English portion hard because SAT english is hard i think. Also, from where we can prepare the science subjects? Thankyou

Reaction score
What about those who did FSc. instead of SAT and A levels. Do we have to go through our Matriculation Mathematics textbooks of Punjab or what (as it is mentioned 'basic maths')? And do you have any link to the past/ sample papers of SSE test?
Total no. of mcqs of physics, bio and chem? @avenger
well.. actually sse test isnt solely from SAT or A'levels, rather it is based on the concepts you've developed during your long term studies. so you cant prepare it completely from one book. Its just that in most people's opinion the topics discussed in SAT are more helpfull for SSE preparation. you can buy Barron's SAT books and go through them.
Total number of mcqs aren't fixed. They were different for every section, when i appeared for it last year.
I dont think there are any complete sample papers.
http://www.documents.pk/docs/detail/sample-questions--chemistry--for-lums-sse-admission-test_3125
thats all i could find. They take the question papers back after the test so they are not released.

sorry for the late reply. Didn't get the alert for the tag

Reaction score
Hey. For English and basic maths we can prepare from SAT book and is English portion hard because SAT english is hard i think. Also, from where we can prepare the science subjects? Thankyou
English isnt difficult. If you are good at grammer, essay writing and sentence structure, then it shouldnt be a problem. Notice that unlike science, english skills are developed over long term studies and cannot be "revised/prepared" in the last times. I didnt prepare for english, and i found it the easiest of all portions. It isnt hard.
maths is what you should be worried about. It is difficult.
As i said in my post above, no single book can completely prepare you for the test. Most people would recommend preparing from SAT books though.

Reaction score
Hey , I'm applying to LUMS this year and I have no idea how to prepare for the SSE test, I do know what the test is comprised of, i.e. the sections in it, but I can't find any sample papers to practice from. I appeared in SAT 1 and got a score of 2000 and SAT 2 Bio 730 and Phys 690, do I need to worry about the test? And where should I prepare from? Would the SAT books be enough or do I need to revise my A-levels as well? I would really really appreciate some help..

Reaction score
well.. actually sse test isnt solely from SAT or A'levels, rather it is based on the concepts you've developed during your long term studies. so you cant prepare it completely from one book. Its just that in most people's opinion the topics discussed in SAT are more helpfull for SSE preparation. you can buy Barron's SAT books and go through them.
Total number of mcqs aren't fixed. They were different for every section, when i appeared for it last year.
I dont think there are any complete sample papers.
http://www.documents.pk/docs/detail/sample-questions--chemistry--for-lums-sse-admission-test_3125
thats all i could find. They take the question papers back after the test so they are not released.

sorry for the late reply. Didn't get the alert for the tag
Thank you for the information. It really is better to try to focus more on the concept rather than shifting from one book to another. Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
can someone plz tell how to solve this question
Find the coordinates of the point which divides the line joining (5,-2) and (9,6) internally in ratio of 1:3
ans (6,0)
Thanks

Reaction score
you have to divide the line into 4 sections (1:3) so divide the x and y coordinate separately
x=(9-5)/4 = 1 therefore point's x coordinate would be 1+5=6
y=(6--2)/4=2 therefore y coordinate would be -2+2=0

Reaction score
you have to divide the line into 4 sections (1:3) so divide the x and y coordinate separately
x=(9-5)/4 = 1 therefore point's x coordinate would be 1+5=6
y=(6--2)/4=2 therefore y coordinate would be -2+2=0
Thanks a lot! I might have to bother u for some more.

Reaction score
Can someone plz solve this
Question: The sum of third and ninth term of an A.P is 8. Find the sum of the first 11 terms of the progression.

Ans 44

Reaction score
a3+a9=8
a3=a1+2d a9=a1+8d
therefore (a1+2d)+(a1+8d)=8
2a1+10d=8
a1+5d=4
a1=4-5d

substitute the value of a1 in formula of sum

S=11/2(2(4-5a)+10d).............. Sum of n terms=n/2(2a1+(n-1)d)
S=5.5(8-10d+10d)
S=5.5(8)
S=44

Reaction score
Question: Two numbers when divided by a certain divisor leave remainders of 431 and 379 respectively. When the sum of these two numbers is divided by the same divisor, the remainder is 211. What is the divisor?
Ans is 599
Sorry for bothering again!!

Reaction score
Question: Two numbers when divided by a certain divisor leave remainders of 431 and 379 respectively. When the sum of these two numbers is divided by the same divisor, the remainder is 211. What is the divisor?
Ans is 599
Sorry for bothering again!!
I'm really sorry I'm not getting the answer right:unsure: are you sure this is all the information in the question?
do tell me how its solved if you figure it out:p

Last edited:
Reaction score
English isnt difficult. If you are good at grammer, essay writing and sentence structure, then it shouldnt be a problem. Notice that unlike science, english skills are developed over long term studies and cannot be "revised/prepared" in the last times. I didnt prepare for english, and i found it the easiest of all portions. It isnt hard.
maths is what you should be worried about. It is difficult.
As i said in my post above, no single book can completely prepare you for the test. Most people would recommend preparing from SAT books though.
Thankyou so much :)