• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Letter from C.I.E Chief Executive

Reaction score
Cambridge International Examinations, part of the University of Cambridge, operates in more than 160 countries around the world. Our work in Pakistan, where we provide assessments and other educational support in more than 500 schools, is particularly important. We are honoured to be trusted with such an important role in the education of the young people of Pakistan. We take very seriously our duties to ensure that all the examinations which students take are fair, and that all candidates receive a valid result. We also have an obligation to ensure that the qualifications we provide to students are recognised worldwide as fair indicators of students’ level of attainment.

In our June 2013 examinations, the security of examination materials for Cambridge O Level and IGCSE Pakistan Studies and Islamiyat was breached prior to the examinations being taken in Pakistan. This serious lapse in security, for which we must accept responsibility, was not the fault of anyone in Pakistan. It means, unfortunately, that some candidates saw the content of the question papers prior to sitting the examination.

This is an exceptional and highly regrettable situation. In order to ensure fairness to all candidates and to uphold the credibility of the qualifications they will receive, we have required all candidates for the affected examinations to attend re-sits on 13 and 14 June 2013. These additional sittings will of course not be charged for. At the re-sits candidates will take papers of equivalent difficulty to the original papers and similarly aligned to the syllabuses in question. Therefore, without any additional preparation, candidates can be expected to perform at the same level as in the original examination.

Candidates' performance on the day of an examination can sometimes be affected by exceptional factors outside their control. Cambridge International Examinations has standard procedures for dealing with such circumstances as and when they arise. These procedures apply to the replacement exams on 13 and 14 June as on all other occasions.

If any candidate prefers to withdraw from the examination at this stage, a full refund will be provided. Any candidate who prefers not to attend the re-sit in June but to re-take their examination in November 2013 will be able to do so without additional charge.

Cambridge International Examinations takes full responsibility for this situation and deeply regrets the inconvenience and concern caused to candidates, their families and schools. We are working with our partner, the British Council, and the many affected schools to deal with this situation in a way which we believe protects the interests of all candidates in Pakistan in receiving a fair and valid examination result.

At the earliest opportunity, it is my intention to travel to Pakistan in order that I may provide further explanation to interested parties, and to underline our regret at the difficulties which these events have created for many students and schools.

Michael O'Sullivan
Chief Executive, Cambridge International Examinations

Reaction score
look at him just for this little paper crisis that man sent an apolgy

and in pakistan if the paper is thought to leaked there is no redo or no apology .......... we really have to manage our system properly----- not a matric student but i do care

Retake in Matric and no one bats an eye
Retake in O-levels and every one loses their mind

Reaction score
look at him just for this little paper crisis that man sent an apolgy

and in pakistan if the paper is thought to leaked there is no redo or no apology .......... we really have to manage our system properly----- no a matric student but i do care

Retake in Matric and no one bats an eye
Retake in O-levels and every one loses their mind
u r absolutely right .. though i am an o level student but i believe that we should have updated our own educational system to an international standard and not promoted these international exams ... this has honestly created a difference between the rich and the poor as all the rich children do o levels and all the poors do matric

Reaction score
u r absolutely right .. though i am an o level student but i believe that we should have updated our own educational system to an international standard and not promoted these international exams ... this has honestly created a difference between the rich and the poor as all the rich children do o levels and all the poors do matric

yeah that's exacltly what i am saying !!!

Reaction score
" At the re-sits candidates will take papers of equivalent difficulty to the original papers and similarly aligned to the syllabuses in question. Therefore, without any additional preparation, candidates can be expected to perform at the same level as in the original examination"

Does this mean, the topics that were taken for questions previously will be taken in these?

Reaction score
" At the re-sits candidates will take papers of equivalent difficulty to the original papers and similarly aligned to the syllabuses in question. Therefore, without any additional preparation, candidates can be expected to perform at the same level as in the original examination"

Does this mean, the topics that were taken for questions previously will be taken in these?
No, obviously not... It means just with slight revision we are capable of doing the paper...