• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

lets discuss yesterday's unit 2 biology exam ( jan 2015)

Reaction score
So ! i want to start a discussion about this exam since no one started it yet . uhmm how did you guys do in the last question? it was quite hard ... and how did you describe that smoking graph , it was tricky in a way ;).. How did you do most importantly?

Reaction score
yeah i found it interesting, because it was about twins, i am a identical twin. Anyways i hope i wrote a good answer in context of the question.
u know there is a small information on twin studies in our edexcel bio book. effects of gene and environment on phenotype of twins.

Reaction score
say , what did you write in the " why did they use animals after they tested the drug on tissues? " well the 5 points of my awnser were :
1-animals have similar metabolism as humans , so , 2- there is less ethical impacts because there is a risk of killing human beings if the major side effects were not tested on animals . also , 3- animals like mice ( that have similar metabolism as humans ) are abundantly found , so there is no possible risk of extinction/Loss of genetic diversity . 4- these animals don't have to be "payed" due to them voulnteering , 5- while animals such as mice are really easy to obtain or buy .... i know that if a point is wrong , they ignore it but uhmmm yeah , can you please tell me if i possibly scored three points right in this question? .. and what did you guys write in that question where he asks "how do you use tissue culture to increase the intensity of the female palm trees . and @MuslimBoy , i did write the overall effect that Phenotype and genotype affect the risk of having a lung cancer , what about you?

Reaction score
^ Question says, why they used animals AFTER testing drug on tissues. [Pre-clinical trials]. Clearly you have to relate something with the tissues in your answer. Drug is tested on cultured cells to see the general effects of the drug. Afterwards, drug is given to animals to see the effect on whole animal. [ Distribution rate, absorption rate, metabolism/excretion profiles..etc] and to see if the drug targets the tissues the way they predicted. Any side effects away from the target cells are noted. More points related to the question can be written, but that's the main purpose of drug testing on animals after testing on cultured cells, I guess.