• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Islamiat: "Quran as a source of Law"

Reaction score
Assalam-o-Alaikum,
People, this is my first thread. I have written an answer to the Part (a) of Question (2) regarding the use of Quran as a source of law. I want to share my answer, and please tell me if i have written something wrong and where i can improve. Thanks!

"The Quran is the first and most authoritative source of law. It is also the most authentic as it the word of Allah and the primary source together with Hadith. Hadith is considered next to it as the source of law. Quran is the perfect book of guidance as it contains a code covering all dimensions of human life i.e. social, economical, moral, ethical etc. Allah says: “This is the book. In it is guidance, sure without doubt to those who fear Allah.” Again he says: “For we had certainly sent onto them a book based on knowledge which we explained in detail, a guide and mercy to all those who believe.”
The laws of the Quran are the basis of Islamic Shariah and the sacred laws of Islam. Quran is the most comprehensive book and its rules are eternal and ever-lasting. It is universal and meant for the whole of mankind. Despite of its religious background, it is humanistic. Allah recognizes the failure of human nature does not lay undue burden on him. Allah says: “Allah does not charge a soul with more than it can bear.” The Quran lays down the rules and regulation of inheritance and the division of wealth among relatives. Allah says: “Allah advises you concerning your children’s (inheritance): the share of a male is equal to that of two females, if there are only daughters, two or more, their share is two thirds of the inheritance and if only one, her share is a half.” For those who indulge in the crime of stealing, Allah says: “For those who steal: male or female, cut off his or her hands.” Quran also lays down principles regarding the way of earning. Allah says: “Allah has allowed trade and forbidden usury.” Similarly, moral rules have also been laid down. Allah says: “Help each other in truthfulness and piety, and not help others in sin and transgression.” And also: “For male and female indulged in adultery, flog each of them with a hundred stripes.” Generally, the principles laid down the Quran explain the major teachings, and hence other sources of law are used for the explanation and the elaboration. For example: “Be steadfast in prayer and practice charity.” And also: “Pilgrimage there is a duty man owe to Allah for those who can afford the journey.” Here, the preparations, the ways and etiquettes of performing prayer, charity and pilgrimage have not been discussed. For that, the Hadith has to be consulted.
The Quran was revealed bringing the arguments and the traditions of the Arab society to an end. Verses against infanticide, unlimited polygamy, drinking, gambling, adultery and usury were revealed. Similarly, the answers to our arguments today can be found in the Quran. This is the evidence that the content of the Quran never gets old and the Quran is for all generations. If we make the Quran the basis of all our actions and thoughts, we will never be misguided. For example: “Do not eat each other’s property by wrong means.” This tells us that all kinds of cheating are prohibited in Islam. And also: “Be just, it is next to piety.” This shows that any law favoring injustice in purely un-Islamic."

Reaction score
Exactly, it is brilliantly written but, what I think has tiny-mini flaws.
A. What I felt, it was a bit unorganized: You talked about quran but on the second sentence, turned to its joint working w/ Hadis and then jumped back to Quran's importance. This shouldnt be, See CIE's marking method, they;ll give 8+ only if you have made an organized answer
B. Main question was indirectly answered : question asks you how it is used in working out law and you are answering mostly on its importance, thats a bit wrong, otherwise its nice. I'll give it 7/10.

Here is the format which I would follow if I would be asked this question:

Para 1: Quran Alone.
  • Imp. of Quran: Word of Allah
  • Assurity that it is free from corruptions and alterations - add verse: Indeed We have sent done the message and We will surely guard it( from corruption)
  • An example where laws are derived from Quran
Para 2 : Use of Quran w/ Hadis
  • Some place Quranic injunction not clear, Hadis used for their elaboration
  • Example of Salat: How to perform( Pray as you see me praying) and what to recite in it ( The is no prayer for the one who does not recite the opening chapter of the book.) OR Zakat:" There is no zakat for the one until a year passes over it " etc.
Para 3 : Use of Quran w/ Ijma
  • Quran and Hadis both does not provide clear guidance
  • Marrying grandmothers and granddaughters exapmle for instance to be given
Para 4:
  • Quran + Hadis unclear, Ijma not worked out, then worked w/ Quran
  • Saling/buying goods forbidden in Jummah prayes ( Elaborate )
Hope I have given a nice response