• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Islamiat Answer: Difficulties encountered by Prophet PBUH and followers in Makkah

Reaction score
Salam, I have this answer to the popular question asking to describe the main difficulties encountered by Prophet PBUH and followers during the years they lived in Makkah. My Islamiat teacher said it was a great answer: nicely covering details within length. Here it is:

Three years passed since the Holy Prophet"s first revelation. He had been preaching the word of Allah to his close friends and relatives, and bythat time, forty righteous people had embraced Islam. When the command came to preach publicly:- "Expound openly what thou art commanded...," The Holy Prophet gathered the Quraish at the Safa hill and told them about the unity of Allah and his Prophethood. But the Quraish dispersed in fury and resentment

The Quraish realized that if they dont take any strict measures against this call, it would be accepted by many. Therefore, they began persecuting the Prophet PBUH and his followers. It was the worst trial for early converts and poor ones; they were starved, beaten and imprisoned. Slaves, such as Hazrat Bilalwere made to lie down on the hot desert sand with a boulder on their top and offered the options of either renouncing their faith or suffer. Some died of the effects but none of them turned away from Islam. One such example is the martyrdom of Hazrat Sumayya. The Prophet PBUH was also treated harshly. Rumours were spread about him, and rubbish was thrown on him and abuses hurled. A woman used to specially wait for the Prophet to pass by to throw rubbish on him. Once a Quraish attempted to strangle the Prophet PBUH while praying. Another time Abu Jahl placed filth on his back, and Abu Jahl's wife used to put thorns on the path the Prophet PBUH was expected to take. Despite these disgusting measures against the followers by the chiefs- Abu Lahb, Abu Jahl, Atba, Waleed etc- they remained steadfast. The Prophet PBUH continued his mission with increasing determination.

In the 5th year of Prophethood, The sufferings of the Muslims reached to the extent that some of the followers including Hz Usman and his wife had to migrate to Abysinnia, where the king Najashi treated them kindly, but the Quraish pursued the immigrants and demanded them back. However after Najashi heard Hazrat Jaffar's inspirational speech, he refused to send them back and the Quraish returned with their mission failed. When the Quraish saw the day by day rising prestige of the Muslims, they demanded the Banu Hashim to withdraw protection from the Prophet PBUH, but when they were refused, the tribes of Makkah drew up a joint agreement enforcing a complete economic and social boycott on the Banu Hashim in the 7th year of prophethood. All the roads leading to the valley, in which they were forced to live, were blocked and the little food they had was soon over. Then there was an extremely difficult period; the valleys echoed with the cries of helpless people and children, feeding on boiled leather and leaves. But they bore these difficulties patiently, and waited for Allah's help. They were finally released after three years as some kind hearted unbelieves broke the agreement. However, due to the effects of the hardships faced, the Prophet's wife Khadija died as well as his beloved uncle Abu Talib passed away in the 10th year of prophethood. The Prophet PBUH was deeply grieved at both of these deaths as well as the followers shared his sorrow, and this year was given the name of "The year of sorrow."

Seeing the Prophet PBUH lose protection, the Quraish increased their attacks on the Prophet PBUH, and in order to search an avenue for support, he set out for Taif with Zaib bin Haris. When they approached Taif, the Prophet PBUH told them about Allah and Islamic teachings, but none responded them favourably. Instead the people of Taif violently drove them out of the city with stones being thrown at them due to which they were injured. At the same time the Quraish were sparing no chance to oppose the believers too inferior to stand up against them. Consequently, the Migration to Yasrib was considered.

Thats it! I hope it helps.

Reaction score
Oh and as for the part (b) about how the difficulties set lessons for us, we can write and explore how:
*Our faith should be strong and we should maintain it ;How the early Muslims suffered and some even died of the effects but didn't renounce their faith
* Always remain loyal to religion no matter how hard time it is...bravery; the reaction of the boycotted banu hashim muslims
* Patience: in all these difficulties...how patience bears fruits as it did for Prophet PBUH and followers in the form of success for Islam
* Forgiving...better to pray for people's guidance; the incident of Taif
* Obedience to the Prophet PBUH; the followers obeyed the Prophet PBUH despite severe persecution

Reaction score
Salam, I have this answer to the popular question asking to describe the main difficulties encountered by Prophet PBUH and followers during the years they lived in Makkah. My Islamiat teacher said it was a great answer: nicely covering details within length. Here it is:

Three years passed since the Holy Prophet"s first revelation. He had been preaching the word of Allah to his close friends and relatives, and bythat time, forty righteous people had embraced Islam. When the command came to preach publicly:- "Expound openly what thou art commanded...," The Holy Prophet gathered the Quraish at the Safa hill and told them about the unity of Allah and his Prophethood. But the Quraish dispersed in fury and resentment

The Quraish realized that if they dont take any strict measures against this call, it would be accepted by many. Therefore, they began persecuting the Prophet PBUH and his followers. It was the worst trial for early converts and poor ones; they were starved, beaten and imprisoned. Slaves, such as Hazrat Bilalwere made to lie down on the hot desert sand with a boulder on their top and offered the options of either renouncing their faith or suffer. Some died of the effects but none of them turned away from Islam. One such example is the martyrdom of Hazrat Sumayya. The Prophet PBUH was also treated harshly. Rumours were spread about him, and rubbish was thrown on him and abuses hurled. A woman used to specially wait for the Prophet to pass by to throw rubbish on him. Once a Quraish attempted to strangle the Prophet PBUH while praying. Another time Abu Jahl placed filth on his back, and Abu Jahl's wife used to put thorns on the path the Prophet PBUH was expected to take. Despite these disgusting measures against the followers by the chiefs- Abu Lahb, Abu Jahl, Atba, Waleed etc- they remained steadfast. The Prophet PBUH continued his mission with increasing determination.

In the 5th year of Prophethood, The sufferings of the Muslims reached to the extent that some of the followers including Hz Usman and his wife had to migrate to Abysinnia, where the king Najashi treated them kindly, but the Quraish pursued the immigrants and demanded them back. However after Najashi heard Hazrat Jaffar's inspirational speech, he refused to send them back and the Quraish returned with their mission failed. When the Quraish saw the day by day rising prestige of the Muslims, they demanded the Banu Hashim to withdraw protection from the Prophet PBUH, but when they were refused, the tribes of Makkah drew up a joint agreement enforcing a complete economic and social boycott on the Banu Hashim in the 7th year of prophethood. All the roads leading to the valley, in which they were forced to live, were blocked and the little food they had was soon over. Then there was an extremely difficult period; the valleys echoed with the cries of helpless people and children, feeding on boiled leather and leaves. But they bore these difficulties patiently, and waited for Allah's help. They were finally released after three years as some kind hearted unbelieves broke the agreement. However, due to the effects of the hardships faced, the Prophet's wife Khadija died as well as his beloved uncle Abu Talib passed away in the 10th year of prophethood. The Prophet PBUH was deeply grieved at both of these deaths as well as the followers shared his sorrow, and this year was given the name of "The year of sorrow."

Seeing the Prophet PBUH lose protection, the Quraish increased their attacks on the Prophet PBUH, and in order to search an avenue for support, he set out for Taif with Zaib bin Haris. When they approached Taif, the Prophet PBUH told them about Allah and Islamic teachings, but none responded them favourably. Instead the people of Taif violently drove them out of the city with stones being thrown at them due to which they were injured. At the same time the Quraish were sparing no chance to oppose the believers too inferior to stand up against them. Consequently, the Migration to Yasrib was considered.
That is an absolutely excellent response. From my part, its 9-10 marks. However, there is one thing u should be careful about. This question asks for difficulties in time of makkah so the event of Taif may or may not be added. But if a similar question asks for difficulties by makkans, the event of taif will be considered irrelevant. Thats a common mistake as both questions are visibly same. Writing irrelevant may not result in deduction of marks but it will make u loss ur precious time with no reward.

Reaction score
That is an absolutely excellent response. From my part, its 9-10 marks. However, there is one thing u should be careful about. This question asks for difficulties in time of makkah so the event of Taif may or may not be added. But if a similar question asks for difficulties by makkans, the event of taif will be considered irrelevant. Thats a common mistake as both questions are visibly same. Writing irrelevant may not result in deduction of marks but it will make u loss ur precious time with no reward.

Salam and thanks. Actually the event of Taif is supposed to be added because the question is saying to describe the difficulties DURING THE YEARS THEY LIVED in Makkah, its not about the main difficulties in Makkah...but the time in which they lived there...in other words it means before migration to Madinah :) I also confirmed with my Islamiat teacher, who is a very nice and experienced teacher, and she told Taif should be included to gain maximum marks

Reaction score
Salam and thanks. Actually the event of Taif is supposed to be added because the question is saying to describe the difficulties DURING THE YEARS THEY LIVED in Makkah, its not about the main difficulties in Makkah...but the time in which they lived there...in other words it means before migration to Madinah :) I also confirmed with my Islamiat teacher, who is a very nice and experienced teacher, and she told Taif should be included to gain maximum marks
I didn't meant that the Taif event is irrelevant. but it may be irrelevant in the question where u r asked for the obstacles by makkans.

Reaction score
You wrote this answer in your exams(a.k.a with time limit).
or like an appointment or like that in your study time..
How long did it took?

Reaction score
You wrote this answer in your exams(a.k.a with time limit).
or like an appointment or like that in your study time..
How long did it took?

No, not in exam. I wrote it in an Islamiyat period, which is 40 minutes long. But obviously we write it much quickly for examination. My teacher liked the answer so much that she took it to read it off to other class.

Reaction score
No, not in exam. I wrote it in an Islamiyat period, which is 40 minutes long. But obviously we write it much quickly for examination. My teacher liked the answer so much that she took it to read it off to other class.
Certainly without a doubt,it is a very good/excellent answer though I do need your reply of how long your answers are in the examination itself.Count the words if you can...I can write around 310-340 words,barely however,and I end up with negligible time for reviewing the paper.Thus,I need your help in THE SENSE THAT HOW LONG you write the answer.
whts ur school and how much do you get in islamiat,by the way?Do post any answer which you wrote in exams.OK bro
That answer would have taken a heck a lot of time

Reaction score
Certainly without a doubt,it is a very good/excellent answer though I do need your reply of how long your answers are in the examination itself.Count the words if you can...I can write around 310-340 words,barely however,and I end up with negligible time for reviewing the paper.Thus,I need your help in THE SENSE THAT HOW LONG you write the answer.
whts ur school and how much do you get in islamiat,by the way?Do post any answer which you wrote in exams.OK bro
That answer would have taken a heck a lot of time

I write it according to the time given to us, My teacher is pretty lenient at the moment as we are in grade 9 so we are given 30 minutes for a 10 mark length question, but she says it will be much stricter in grade 10. Mashallah, I have been getting the highest marks in Islamiat in each test as well as exam from the beginning of 9th grade,but don't ask the number of marks....My teacher never gives more than 9/10 (which is only for excellent answers), usually 8/10 is for a good answer xD She says she does this so that we keep working hard in order to achieve more, otherwise if given full marks we might get over confident (she gave us real life example of students as well for this). As for exams, my answers are of about 2 pages for 10 marks, and a bit less than 1 page for 4 mark. I don't know about the words, as what matters more is the number of lines/pages as now we are given limited lines to write our answer in CIE, so we follow that. Instead of reviewing it, plan your answer and write it carefully but smoothly. Try thinking everything at first, then start writing so you don't have to stop in the middle, this way you wouldn't need to review it if you have planned it. I haven't got any excellent answers, except for one which I wrote on the conflict between Muawiya and Ali last year, but my teacher liked it so much she took the paper, and even got it photocopied to show it to the then class 10 students :p btw I study in St. Pats!

Reaction score
Heck a lot of time means that it must have took a lot of time to write it in this forum or post,not in ur school.
Wait.your school initiates the Olevel at 9 class not 8 class...
and this is ur 1st year.
well yeah,our sir gives marks on a very strict level also...never gives more than 9 marks in 10 marks question even for a well written answer in the exams....
Well bro,I wanted if you could post any answer you wrote in the exams(taking under consideration the time limit,pressure and the suddens sense of time caving in on you:)e.t.c).
Do not hesitate to write your answer .Btw i study in Garrison academy for boys now named as Garrison academy for Cambridge studies and have been getting highest marks in Islamiat and overall highest in all the sections.

Reaction score
Heck a lot of time means that it must have took a lot of time to write it in this forum or post,not in ur school.
Wait.your school initiates the Olevel at 9 class not 8 class...
and this is ur 1st year.
well yeah,our sir gives marks on a very strict level also...never gives more than 9 marks in 10 marks question even for a well written answer in the exams....
Well bro,I wanted if you could post any answer you wrote in the exams(taking under consideration the time limit,pressure and the suddens sense of time caving in on you:)e.t.c).
Do not hesitate to write your answer .Btw i study in Garrison academy for boys now named as Garrison academy for Cambridge studies and have been getting highest marks in Islamiyat and overall highest in all the sections.

Yes it did took some time, but I was free when I typed this there :) Yes, 9 class is the beginning of O level but we start our Islamiyat syllabus from class 8 (We did the four caliphs in 8 class). Ok, I will write when I am as free as I was when I wrote this answer here but currently I have another Islamiyat test to study for :p Good to see you are a good Islamiyat student as well. Many of my classmates fear Islamiyat, but the trick to succeed is KNOWLEDGE - ANALYSIS - INTEREST ^_^ I always study Islamiyat willingly so Mashallah I get nice marks ^_^ Whats your trick? ;)

Reaction score
I actually(and I mean it) try to relate all the knowledge and ,likewise evaluative+other parts,as it happened and try to relate these to the era of today because Islamiat is really IMPORTANT,like other subjects, for me.Practicality is the one word I look for and always try to base my study work on this "Practicality".Once you do this,u will feel the rhythm in ur study
And i do mean wht i said........
Try to post answers that u wrote in ur examination
OK bro.....Btw do come online a little more often,even for 5-10 minutes