• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Importance of Social Work and Extra-curricular Activities in Foreign University admissions

Reaction score
I want to know how much impact it has in university admissions. I've seen people with perfect A level/ Sat scores getting rejected because of a low ECA profile. So can someone please just explain me how this thing works? Can someone name or point out some ECA that are useful for a prospective engineering student? Please help me out guys! I want to study in a top university in Asia, UK, USA or Australia.

TSZ

Reaction score
To be honest, academics are the best things that are considered but at extremely good unis, almost aal students have damn good SAT's and GPA's so what then differentiates them is how much stuff they did while studying. Try doing internships at engineering firms and enter academic competitions and win them. Do community service and show leadership skills by taking government positions at school and do declamations, debtaes or MUN's. Also try to play sports at a national level. A note here: ure EC's shud't be varied: like it shudn't be like that uve done one MUN and been to one academic competiton and done a few hours of community service. Do only two or three different types of EC's but do a lot of them

Reaction score
I want to know how much impact it has in university admissions. I've seen people with perfect A level/ Sat scores getting rejected because of a low ECA profile. So can someone please just explain me how this thing works? Can someone name or point out some ECA that are useful for a prospective engineering student? Please help me out guys! I want to study in a top university in Asia, UK, USA or Australia.
look internships can be faked. they DONT count much

win competitions like NSTC. Search it here on xtremepapers, there is thread for that. Go in the pakistan international team
do debates and win tournaments on national level

These official things count. Which are accepted and not doubted as whether they are fake or not

Reaction score
look internships can be faked. they DONT count much

win competitions like NSTC. Search it here on xtremepapers, there is thread for that. Go in the pakistan international team
do debates and win tournaments on national level

These official things count. Which are accepted and not doubted as whether they are fake or not
As far as I know, National or International awards are the most important co-curricular activities. Internships, volunteer work etc are given value if it's done at internationally recognised organisations. I was among top 30 in National Informatics Olympiad, I learn French at Alliance Francaise and I have participated in an International mission. I do volunteer work in an Internationally recognised hospital and I have won third prize in an Essay competition organized by British council. I have a distinction in a Macmillan exam where my place was in the top 4% in my region. I know two computer programming languages(C and VB). I intend to learn web designing in the future. This is what I have and I don't know if it's good enough. I am from Bangladesh btw, so I can't participate in NSTC. Can you please comment on my Eca? I want to study Computer Science, Physics or Mechatronics in a very high ranked university.

Reaction score
As far as I know, National or International awards are the most important co-curricular activities. Internships, volunteer work etc are given value if it's done at internationally recognised organisations. I was among top 30 in National Informatics Olympiad, I learn French at Alliance Francaise and I have participated in an International mission. I do volunteer work in an Internationally recognised hospital and I have won third prize in an Essay competition organized by British council. I have a distinction in a Macmillan exam where my place was in the top 4% in my region. I know two computer programming languages(C and VB). I intend to learn web designing in the future. This is what I have and I don't know if it's good enough. I am from Bangladesh btw, so I can't participate in NSTC. Can you please comment on my Eca? I want to study Computer Science, Physics or Mechatronics in a very high ranked university.
define a high ranked university? How much cost can you pay annually in us dollars?

what are your olevel grades? alevel expected grades?

Reaction score
define a high ranked university? How much cost can you pay annually in us dollars?

what are your olevel grades? alevel expected grades?
Oxford, Stanford, Caltech, Princeton and NUS etc are my dream universities. My O level grades are nine A stars and an A. I can pay ten thousand dollars annually, so I guess I will need a scholarship or some sort of financial aids. I have taken six subjects in A levels and Insha allah I aspire to get A and A stars in all of them. I am currently in AS and I will give SAT after completing A levels in a gap year. So brother am I on the right track?

Reaction score
Oxford, Stanford, Caltech, Princeton and NUS etc are my dream universities. My O level grades are nine A stars and an A. I can pay ten thousand dollars annually, so I guess I will need a scholarship or some sort of financial aids. I have taken six subjects in A levels and Insha allah I aspire to get A and A stars in all of them. I am currently in AS and I will give SAT after completing A levels in a gap year. So brother am I on the right track?
well no

U CANNOT TAKE A GAP YEAR. TO APPLY TO GOOD FOREIGN UNIVERSITIES YOU MUST APPLY VIA SCHOOLS (NOT AS A PRIVATE CANDIDATE). THEY DONT ACCEPT THAT

Reaction score
well no

U CANNOT TAKE A GAP YEAR. TO APPLY TO GOOD FOREIGN UNIVERSITIES YOU MUST APPLY VIA SCHOOLS (NOT AS A PRIVATE CANDIDATE). THEY DONT ACCEPT THAT
But I am not a private candidate. I can provide high school transcripts and recommendations even if I apply in a gap year. My seniors have done it in the past.

Reaction score
okay thats good then

well you need extracorricular activities on a national or international scale. You need to win tournaments on these stages (Not just participating in them)

search nstc on xtremepapers. Its a national science talent competition, if you qualify u represent pakistan on international stage in phy,chem,bio or math olympiads

Also there is a thing called ARSSDC. Ask your phy teacher if you participate in that

Do debates and win tournaments on national level. (which school are u in btw? if u dont mind)

Reaction score
well thats good then

universities like the ones u mentioned demand a very well developed extra-corricular base

search nstc on xtremepapers. its an national science talent competition. If you qualify u represent pakistan at international phy,chem.bio and math olympiads.
Also ARSSDC, ask your phy teacher if you participate in it (as a school)
Do debates and win tournaments on a national scale

Reaction score
well thats good then

universities like the ones u mentioned demand a very well developed extra-corricular base

search nstc on xtremepapers. its an national science talent competition. If you qualify u represent pakistan at international phy,chem.bio and math olympiads.
Also ARSSDC, ask your phy teacher if you participate in it (as a school)
Do debates and win tournaments on a national scale
I am not a Pakistani. I cant participate in any competitions in Pakistan. Here in my country, we have National Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Informatics olympiads. The top four national olympiad winners are allowed to represent Bangladesh in International Olympiad. In Informatics olympiad forty contestants get the National award and only four are sent to International Olympiad. So I have a National award in Informatics olympiad. I have mentioned my other ECAs in my earlier posts. I just want to know if they are good or bad?

Reaction score
well it would help but SAT scores are important as well

SAT1 2300 plus
sat2 2380 plus

Your college essays and teacher recommendations are also very very important. Get 2-3 teachers to know you well personally so they are able to describe your personality and chose a teacher who has good english language skills (mostly non-science teachers)

Reaction score
well it would help but SAT scores are important as well

SAT1 2300 plus
sat2 2380 plus

Your college essays and teacher recommendations are also very very important. Get 2-3 teachers to know you well personally so they are able to describe your personality and chose a teacher who has good english language skills (mostly non-science teachers)
Omg! Scoring 2300+ in Sat 1 is one hell of a job. I was told at school that 2200+ in Sat 1 and 2300+ in Sat 2 will be a good score for Ivy league universities. I am aware of the importance of good recommendations and essays. Thanks for your help. :)