• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

IGCSE ENGLISH-MEGA THREAD¬¬¬TIPS FOR A*

Reaction score
Here are some model answers of paper 3 question 2:

Question:
‘Entertaining relatives: heaven or hell?’ Write a magazine article, drawing on your own or your friends’ experiences, explaining how to make things go as well as possible and pointing out what should be avoided.

A* response:
We can all sympathise when it comes to entertaining the family. And just this once, it would be so good to ensure the whole event runs successfully and smoothly, whether you’re entertaining four or forty. First of all, a truly happy family is a well-fed family; keep them quiet for as long as possible by cooking and presenting an enormous and magnificent meal and insisting no-one leaves the table until every last tasty dish of food is gone. This may also provide an excellent chance to catch up with those whom we don’t get to see so often (out of choice or chance). Conversely, it’s best not to end up sitting next to the aged relative who will bore the life out of you by droning on about the weather or an excellent shot they made in golf that morning. It may be wise to have some sort of elaborate seating plan; that way, any potential arguments between certain relatives who nearly came to blows at the last family gathering can be avoided for as long as possible.
Secondly, ensure some form of entertainment is provided. Bored relatives are even less fun than unfed relatives, and again, all dull conversations can be kept to a minimum. Board games work fine, but any team games are fantastic at bringing the different age groups of the family together. Warning: some relatives (Uncle George) may get over-competitive; avoid this by making regular offenders the judge or host of the game.
And finally, always make sure your relatives know when to call it a day – it is possible to have too much of a good thing! Subtle hinting on your part may be necessary, my personal favourites including, ‘Gosh, isn’t it getting late?’, accompanied by looking at your watch every five minutes. Be warned. This does only work at night – I would suggest the former at two-thirty in the afternoon.
But I reckon the main thing to remember, however your day pans out, is that you should just make the most of your family’s company – blood is thicker than water, so make the most of your relatives while you can – and perhaps keep Auntie Dorothy away from the wine. Again

Reaction score
IGCSE ENGLISH PAPER 2 TIME BREAKDOWN;

In the P2 exam it i very important to balance your time for A*s. After doing some online research here is the BEST technique so far.
  • Question One: 45-50 minutes
  • Question Two: 30 minutes
  • Question Three: 40 minutes

Reaction score
no u shldnt do dis as a news report...u'll be penalised for dt coz its a formal report n dis ppr was an exception...v gt dis 1 in our mocks n our teacher tld us dt in dis formal report u can make it a alittle personal coz its askin abt ur experience n ur d one writing d report so u need 2 add ur feelings...hope i helped :)
yeah...it did but i saw it after i did my english exam.... :)

Reaction score
How are we supposed to answer Question 1 in Paper 3 (0500/32)? What should we do when we are asked to "evaluate" something?

From 0500/32/O/N/13:

"Read carefully the article on ‘Why I’m teaching happiness’. Write a letter to the Headteacher, expressing your views on teaching about happiness. You may agree or disagree with the Headteacher’s arguments.

In your letter you should:
• explore and evaluate the Headteacher’s views
• use your own ideas to support your comments on the Headteacher’s views."

Reaction score
IGCSE ENGLISH PAPER 3:

Question 1 – Directed Writing

This question usually has a persuasive element, in which case you need to provide REASONS/JUSTIFICATIONS for your conclusions/goals.like Paper 2’s first question, you need to include a blend of facts/examples/opinions from the information you are provided AND your own original ideas. Audience is a key factor in this question, especially considering that it is usually intended to be persuasive. Try to demonstrate that you are sensitive to the feelings, needs, position of your audience. Check your mechanics (spelling, punctuation, etc.).

Reaction score
Do we have to address the bullet points in the question in separate paragraphs or can we follow our own style?

IGCSE ENGLISH PAPER 3:

Question 1 – Directed Writing

This question usually has a persuasive element, in which case you need to provide REASONS/JUSTIFICATIONS for your conclusions/goals.like Paper 2’s first question, you need to include a blend of facts/examples/opinions from the information you are provided AND your own original ideas. Audience is a key factor in this question, especially considering that it is usually intended to be persuasive. Try to demonstrate that you are sensitive to the feelings, needs, position of your audience. Check your mechanics (spelling, punctuation, etc.).

Reaction score
Do we have to address the bullet points in the question in separate paragraphs or can we follow our own style?
no u shld follow d style of the writing that they have asked u to write but u need not address the bullet points in d same order in the script but make sure u include them bcoz u'll be marked on how u integrate all the points in a well-sequenced script :)

Reaction score
hey guys just wanted to ask what happens if in the third question u write more than 450 words?
do they only mark until the 450th word?
and how do they know that there is exactly 350 to 450 words?