• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

IGCSE Curve Removed?

Reaction score
Hello everybody.
I have been hearing it since last year, that the curve for IGCSE examinations have been replaced by grade boundaries. If this is really the case, then we're all in a very tough situation seeing that a lot of you people hardly completed the Biolody paper 31 yesterday. Today chemistry paper 61 was also very different, and possibly a little bit harder than the previous years. ICT paper 3 was also a mess. If there is no curve we will all get A's and B's. I really don't want that happening.

Can someone post the correct information with a reliable source? Please, the stress of exams and this news of curve removal has been killing me.

Reaction score
OMG !!! r u seroius ????
so .... chemistry .... A*= 0 nooooooooo maaaaaaaaan
hope these news aren`t correct :%)

Reaction score
Why don't you want everyone to get A's and B's?
And yes head teacher told us there are no curves...
So you want everyone to fail?

Reaction score
hamany17 said:
Why don't you want everyone to get A's and B's?
And yes head teacher told us there are no curves...
So you want everyone to fail?

I guess he means that As and Bs arent satisfiable..
And my teacher said for sure there are curves, I dont know :S
We need to study hard, and whatever will come from God, shall come..

Reaction score
HECK NOOOO !!! First they make the exams so freakin, hard and now they are also removing the CURVE ?!?!?!?
this cant happen ! its really unfair ! the students who gave the exams before were credited with this curve so the same should be done for us too!!
THIS ISNT ACCEPTABLE ! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Reaction score
dont worry everyone
our teacher told us that these are just rumors and that they will never remove curve
so dont worry :) :Yahoo!: :Yahoo!: :Yahoo!: :Yahoo!: :Yahoo!:

Reaction score
shamawi said:
dont worry everyone
our teacher told us that these are just rumors and that they will never remove curve
so dont worry :) :Yahoo!: :Yahoo!: :Yahoo!: :Yahoo!: :Yahoo!:
I just pray to God that what ur saying is right. :)

Reaction score
Thats what I meant. A's and B's are not satisfactory. I need A*'s for college. Rumors are circulating from Egypt, imo. A lot of my Egyptian friends have been stating it like a fact.
May be we should try emailing CIE for official information?

Reaction score
relax the info is not totally correct , but the curve will be removed, but not this year, it will be removed in 2012 exams, it is in their syllabuses. this year will be a curve , but next year is a fixed 90% for A to all exams.

Reaction score
Good news, people.

Here is a quote from the CIE website-
Is the percentage uniform mark the same as the actual mark that the candidate obtains on the question paper?

No. The percentage uniform mark is not the same as the actual mark that the candidate obtains on the question paper. This is because it depends on the position of the grade thresholds (which may vary from one series to another and from one subject to another) and it has been converted into a percentage. The percentage uniform mark does not affect the grade a candidate receives, it simply shows whether they are in the middle of a grade, or near the top or bottom.

I have bolded the important bits.
You can read more here- http://ask.cie.org.uk/system/selfservic ... E_ID=64340

Reaction score
omareno3000 said:
relax the info is not totally correct , but the curve will be removed, but not this year, it will be removed in 2012 exams, it is in their syllabuses. this year will be a curve , but next year is a fixed 90% for A to all exams.

Can you please tell me where exactly in the 2012 syllabuses may I find that? It would really be helpful.

Reaction score
there actually gonna remove the thresholds in the oct/nov session so we are safe

Reaction score
The curve will NOT be removed in the forseeable future guys.

As for the percentage uniform mark, a reliable quote was already given in this topic. It is not your actual raw score, just a weighted percentage which is BASED on the curve and determined by the grade thresholds which vary from session to session.

Don't worry about the curve being removed, you can be confident that the CIE grading system will remain the same for now.

Reaction score
Don't worry guys, the curve will not be removed as this will make the grading system highly unfair. the curve is there to make the grading effective and do justice with everyone. :wink: :good:
phew.....you had me there for a while. :shock: