• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

IGCSE chemistry paper 6

Reaction score
Hi, so i gave the igcse chemistry paper 6, and i was wondering if any of you toke it. question number 5 was to find out what the second liquid wass? what did you get
Thank you

Reaction score
Yeah, it was alcohol (ethanol). :p

Btw, what was the answer of ( what is the effect on temperature if 1g of magnesium ribbon used instead of 1g magnesium powder?) There was a question something like that?

Reaction score
SarahCh8
the answer was for 2 marks so two reasons
1: temperature change will be smaller.
2: the rate of reaction would be slower.

Reaction score
guys in the straight line graph it didnt pass through the first point but it was so close and it didnt pass at another point which was far from it
i got the mass when 0.7 g used is around 0.455 ?
also why did we heat crucible 3 times ? and what was the ph and smell and color of the carboxylic acid ??

Reaction score
yep the red-brown solid was copper (III).
in that graph the line will pass thru all points except experiment 4 as it was not accurate.
the mass i got was 1.5 as i multiplied the other two given values.
the crucible was heated thrice for accuracy of the results and to get better conclusions.
well this Question was about sol. A and they mentioned in the question that A was ethanoic acid.
i wrote ph 3-6 as it was weak acid and pungent smell.
*all answers are written thru my knowledge.. don't compare your's and think u might've done it wrong.
maybe i will get those answers wrong.
:)

Reaction score
guys in the straight line graph it didnt pass through the first point but it was so close and it didnt pass at another point which was far from it
i got the mass when 0.7 g used is around 0.455 ?
also why did we heat crucible 3 times ? and what was the ph and smell and color of the carboxylic acid ??

Yuss, it was 0.45g & when we add up it was 1.15g of CaO. :p
I wrote It smells of vinegar & pH 2 - 4 (I should have written 2 - 6 I think) :/
Color change was RED as it was an acid.
As LovelyNimmy said, all the answers were written through my knowledge so don't compare yours and think you might've done it wrong.

Reaction score
It was displacement reaction, right?

What was the reason for largest temperature rise? :/

Reaction score
It was between Iron powder & Copper(II) sulphate, so Iron is more reactive than copper so it can displace.

What was the reason for largest temperature rise? :/

Reaction score
largest temperature rise was due to use of magnesium powder rather than magnesium ribbon... related to particle size of the reactant.

Reaction score
Yup. :D

What did you all write for the color change of ethanoic acid?
And what did we have to do with the insoluble one in chromotography drawing thingy?

Reaction score
well i did not get the question 5 second liquid, i mean it said that it decolourised kmno4 or something
and about the rate of rxn : the temperature would be the same only the rate decreases :s

Reaction score
well i did not get the question 5 second liquid, i mean it said that it decolourised kmno4 or something
and about the rate of rxn : the temperature would be the same only the rate decreases :s

That pure liquid was organic alcohol.
are you sure about the rate? :/