• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

IAL Physics Unit-1 WPH01 (Physics On The Go) [20/05/14] Help & Discussions |Edexcel

Reaction score
Attention to all candidates sitting for the 'vile' unit-1 exam on the 20th.I'm sitting for unit-1 for the 3rd time & yet to achieve an A in this unit.*sigh* I hatee unit-1 sooo much! Well,this is my last sitting & tbh,i'm more worried on this unit rather than u-4,5! I just don't get this unit on my head.Seems the easiest unit while studying,giving me a horrible time since last two sessions! Pleading anyone who would help me understand unit-1 starting with solving the jan-14 paper! Post your queries,suggestions etc.

Attachments

• WPH01_01_que_20140115.pdf
    763.3 KB · Views: 221
Reaction score
Try starting out with the basics before doing past papers: study the theory first. If you want I can help you with any queries :)
I have gone through the theory a number of times.There are some questions which came in recent papers which i cannot relate to specific topics! They are given based on basic knowledge in mechanics i guess! Apart from projectile motion,I don't have any problem with the theory section hopefully! Have a lott of problems in the jan-14 paper tho.Did u solve it? Could u please help me? Thanks! :)

Reaction score
Can anyone explain the answer to the last multiple choice question in the Jan 2014 paper

Reaction score
Can anyone explain the answer to the last multiple choice question in the Jan 2014 paper
The question asked for the greatest decrease in the time for the ball to reach the bottom! So a ball of greater mass would mean the weight would increase & it would fall more quickly.Also a smaller diameter ensures that the viscous drag which acts upwards to be less...These two factors enable the greatest decrease in the time it takes to fall!

Hey bro,understood question no.11? that mountain climbing 35 degree/ 25 degree one? Can explain? how to solve

Reaction score
The question asked for the greatest decrease in the time for the ball to reach the bottom! So a ball of greater mass would mean the weight would increase & it would fall more quickly.Also a smaller diameter ensures that the viscous drag which acts upwards to be less...These two factors enable the greatest decrease in the time it takes to fall!

Hey bro,understood question no.11? that mountain climbing 35 degree/ 25 degree one? Can explain? how to solve

Mass of geologist is 85kg, so his weight = 85*9.81 = 833.85N
Consider the side of the mountain inclined to 25 degrees. If he's climbing up the mountain from that side, there will be two component of forces due to his weight.
So we'll have to take the component of force, which acts down the side of the mountain (against the motion of geologist).
tSb7Yjl.png

That'll be ;
833.85 * cos (65) = 352 N
Now do the same for the other side, inclined 35 degrees to horizontal. Take the component of weight opposite to the direction of motion of geologist.
833.85*coz(55) = 478 N

From this we can say that the side inclined to 25 degrees requires less force.

Now calculate the distance he has to travel for each side. If you consider a right angle triangle, with an angle of 25 degrees, we know that the opposite in this case would be height of the mountain and hypotenuse would be the distance geologist has to travel. So sin25 = 365 / distance
therefore distance = 365 / sin(25) = 863.7 m
For 35 degrees side, sin35 = 365 / distance
therefore distance = 365 / sin(35) = 636.4 m

So, 35 degrees side requires a less distance to be covered.

Now combining the distance and the force,
workdone = force * displacement
For 25 degrees side; workdone = 352 * 863.7 = 300000 J
For 35 degrees side; workdone = 478*636.4 = 300000 J
So the workdone is same for both sides.
25 degrees side requires less force, but a greater distance to be covered.
35 degrees side requires more force, but a smaller distance to be covered.

Hope i helped. But damn, this question is only for 3 marks, haha.

And thanks for the answer you gave to my question. :)

Edit: Btw, can you prove that answer by the means of equation? I believe there's an equation,
v = ( 2 x r^2 x g x (density of sphere - density of fluid) ) / ( 9 x coefficient of viscosity ) .
So if time were to decrease, wouldn't r^2 increase, so greater diameter is required?

Last edited:
Reaction score
going to appear just 2 dayss later...it seems easyy....but yes that 1hr 30min of exam time is always a nightmare!!

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what are the experiments i should know for this unit? Thanks.

Verifying Newton's Laws
Determining Young's Modulus
Measuring g
Determining the viscosity of a fluid
Measuring the velocity of an object

Thats about it I guess.

Reaction score
Verifying Newton's Laws
Determining Young's Modulus
Measuring g
Determining the viscosity of a fluid
Measuring the velocity of an object

Thats about it I guess.

Thanks for the reply, i know all of them except for Newton's laws and the velocity of an object, where can i find those? or even better do you have a .pdf or .doc for the experiments? Anyone?

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, i know all of them except for Newton's laws and the velocity of an object, where can i find those? or even better do you have a .pdf or .doc for the experiments? Anyone?

Here's what I've got. Not strictly to our specification, but can never be too prepared! ;)

Attachments

• An experimental verification of Newton’s second law.pdf
    583.3 KB · Views: 41
  • Determination of Acceleration due to Gravity.pdf
    95.6 KB · Views: 32
  • Free Fall - Determining the acceleration of gravity.pdf
    623 KB · Views: 32
  • Physics Experimental Work.pdf
    143 KB · Views: 31
  • Young Modulus Experiment.pdf
    137.1 KB · Views: 34
  • Falling Ball Viscometer.pdf