• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

IAL Economics January 2015

Reaction score
wanna discuss?
what do you find hard in unit 3?and can you do the evaluation?I'm really bad in that! :(

I find government intervention part a bit tough.. others are ok.. wht do u find tough?
Here is hw to evaluate in econ
•Showing a critical awareness…….may be demonstrated in a variety of ways:
•1 Magnitude of effect
•2 Time period: short run v long run
•3 Costs versus benefits
•4 Impact on different economic agents (e.g. producers, consumers, workers, shareholders, government)
•5 Prioritisation with justification
•6 Questioning quality and validity of data
•7 Questioning validity of underlying assumptions

Last edited:
Reaction score
I find government intervention part a bit tough.. others are ok.. wht do u find tough?
Here is hw to evaluate in econ
•Showing a critical awareness…….may be demonstrated in a variety of ways:
•1 Magnitude of effect
•2 Time period: short run v long run
•3 Costs versus benefits
•4 Impact on different economic agents (e.g. producers, consumers, workers, shareholders, government)
•5 Prioritisation with justification
•6 Questioning quality and validity of data
•7 Questioning validity of underlying assumptions
thanks!!Only the evaluation part seems tough to me cause i fail to write all the points even though i know them.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1664753
i found the 1st post helpful.
and in IAL do u have any idea about how many points we have to discuss for a full mark? I mean in GCE the mark scheme says that "6 marks(3+3) evaluation", but there's nothing like that in IAL mark schemes.

Reaction score
Whts difficult for u?
thanks!!Only the evaluation part seems tough to me cause i fail to write all the points even though i know them.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1664753
i found the 1st post helpful.
and in IAL do u have any idea about how many points we have to discuss for a full mark? I mean in GCE the mark scheme says that "6 marks(3+3) evaluation", but there's nothing like that in IAL mark schemes.

i knw right.
section A i guess its 8 marks for evaluation for each 20 marks question.. so that would be around 3-4 points..
in section B for the 12 marks questions its 4 marks for evaluation right? so it would be 2 points..
do u write conclusions?

thanks a lot for the share.. that looks really helpful :)
what are the other exams that u're appearing for?

Reaction score
Whts difficult for u?

i knw right.
section A i guess its 8 marks for evaluation for each 20 marks question.. so that would be around 3-4 points..
in section B for the 12 marks questions its 4 marks for evaluation right? so it would be 2 points..
do u write conclusions?

thanks a lot for the share.. that looks really helpful :)
what are the other exams that u're appearing for?
Do we need to write conclusions?! :O
I'm sitting for all 4 papers of economics, and phy 4, che5 and bio4.

Reaction score
Do we need to write conclusions?! :O
I'm sitting for all 4 papers of economics, and phy 4, che5 and bio4.

our teacher says that it completes the answers..
aww.. i'm sitting for econ u2, busns u3, accnt u2 and math c34

Reaction score
our teacher says that it completes the answers..
aww.. i'm sitting for econ u2, busns u3, accnt u2 and math c34
they don't give any marks for introductions and conclusions do they?I mean they never mentioned about any introductions and conclusions in examiner reports. But do what your teacher tells u to, don't listen to me cause i don't have a teacher! :p

Reaction score
they don't give any marks for introductions and conclusions do they?I mean they never mentioned about any introductions and conclusions in examiner reports. But do what your teacher tells u to, don't listen to me cause i don't have a teacher! :p

hehe.. yea there is no specific marks for that... :p
it's worth impressing the examiner!!

Reaction score
what do u get in past papers?i get around B. All i do is miss out points and make my own theories! :p

i didnt do much past papers.. at school in the first monthly i gt a c, then a b and finally an a... dunno wht wd happen in ial..
my problem is procrastination when it comes to studies.. hehe :unsure:

Reaction score
i didnt do much past papers.. at school in the first monthly i gt a c, then a b and finally an a... dunno wht wd happen in ial..
my problem is procrastination when it comes to studies.. hehe :unsure:
haha me too! I'm like okay i'll read that chapter in next hour, but i never read it that day! XD i'm gonna sit for unit 4 and i don't have any idea about foreign aid or all those stuffs that are gonna come! -_-

Reaction score
haha me too! I'm like okay i'll read that chapter in next hour, but i never read it that day! XD i'm gonna sit for unit 4 and i don't have any idea about foreign aid or all those stuffs that are gonna come! -_-
:p
i'll be studying it this sem.. i dnt like macro either.. do u find unit 2 easy?

Reaction score
:p
i'll be studying it this sem.. i dnt like macro either.. do u find unit 2 easy?
yes actually. Unit 2 seems so small. It's only about economic growth, inflation and employment. All those things are connected together. So i get a lot of points to write. On the other hand unit 3 has so many things, like market structures, behavior, efficiency, growth and government intervention. and not everything can be connected as the structures of market are different.

Reaction score
yes actually. Unit 2 seems so small. It's only about economic growth, inflation and employment. All those things are connected together. So i get a lot of points to write. On the other hand unit 3 has so many things, like market structures, behavior, efficiency, growth and government intervention. and not everything can be connected as the structures of market are different.
my frnds also say tht its small.. i dunno y i find it tough.. maybe cx m still nt very clear with the basics..
i did it in the last session and got a B:unsure: i need to try harder this time..

Reaction score
my frnds also say tht its small.. i dunno y i find it tough.. maybe cx m still nt very clear with the basics..
i did it in the last session and got a B:unsure: i need to try harder this time..
I'm sure you'll do better this time. If u have any questions about unit 2 don't bother to ask me! :)

Reaction score
I didn't cross the box in unit 1 section B. Do you think it's gonna be a problem?

Reaction score
I didn't cross the box in unit 1 section B. Do you think it's gonna be a problem?

that happens to many students.. i don't think it would be a problem as long as it's obvious that u did that particular question alone
how was the paper btw?

Last edited: