• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

IAL Biology Unit 5: How was it?

How was it?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hey. In question 6, about the hours of darkness and sunlight, the answer to the multiple choice question was the first box ?

Reaction score
No it's 25%. If in doubt MS will justify it :)
I remember reading the question as A1AT DEFICIENCY (NOT COPD DEVELOPMENT) which was 75%. PiMM is normal levels of A1AT protein and Z & S are allelic variants that produce less A1AT therefore any offspring with S or Z in their genotype will have A1AT DEFICIENCY, but whether it causes severe COPD or not is something else, then it would have been 25%. So, in short, on of us interpreted the question wrong. I'll just leave this here.:)

Reaction score
I remember reading the question as A1AT DEFICIENCY (NOT COPD DEVELOPMENT) which was 75%. PiMM is normal levels of A1AT protein and Z & S are allelic variants that produce less A1AT therefore any offspring with S or Z in their genotype will have A1AT DEFICIENCY, but whether it causes severe COPD or not is something else, then it would have been 25%. So, in short, on of us interpreted the question wrong. I'll just leave this here.:)

Like I said the mark scheme knows BETTER. Goodluck