• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

I want to Start Furthur Mathematics

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am in A-level and I want to learn Further mathematics. Never Done it before and it's not taught in our schools here. I am currently doing A-level Mathematics (p1, p3, s1, m1). Can you guys give me some head ups for starting learning further maths? Will it be tough if I self-learn it? Can you also suggest me some of the best books around to learn and practice it? I am looking forward to sit for the exam in June 2013 because I will be sitting for my A-levels this november. So this will leave me ample time to start it. If I start now I am sure I will finish it by june 2013. Please help me out.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Hello, I am taking Maths too for my AS and A2. Maths is a practice subject. This means you must practice your Maths, doing h/w, make notes, revision and if possible surround yourself with any of your friends that are in the same course and of course, attend class tutors. If you have any doubts, simply refer to your tutor for assistance.

All the best and good luck for everything. :)

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am in A-level and I want to learn Further mathematics. Never Done it before and it's not taught in our schools here. I am currently doing A-level Mathematics (p1, p3, s1, m1). Can you guys give me some head ups for starting learning further maths? Will it be tough if I self-learn it? Can you also suggest me some of the best books around to learn and practice it? I am looking forward to sit for the exam in June 2013 because I will be sitting for my A-levels this november. So this will leave me ample time to start it. If I start now I am sure I will finish it by june 2013. Please help me out.

Thanks.

Well the most common book i guess is further pure mathematics by bostock and chandler. But you need several other books too. For example for statistics you will need advanced level statistics by j.crawshaw and j.chambers.Then for mechanics you will need m2.For pure section p4, p5 and p6 should also be used. And you should definitely not do it on your own, the course is very lengthy and its also tough.If it isn't taught in your school find a tutor for it.Even if your maths is brilliant you will need help. There are dozens of books that will help you, but not all will go according to the syllabus. A level maths is very easy compared to further maths.Its a challenging subject but very enjoyable too if you find maths interesting. But i will suggest that you should not do it on your own. Did you do o level add maths?If so what grade did you get?

Reaction score
Well the most common book i guess is further pure mathematics by bostock and chandler. But you need several other books too. For example for statistics you will need advanced level statistics by j.crawshaw and j.chambers.Then for mechanics you will need m2.For pure section p4, p5 and p6 should also be used. And you should definitely not do it on your own, the course is very lengthy and its also tough.If it isn't taught in your school find a tutor for it.Even if your maths is brilliant you will need help. There are dozens of books that will help you, but not all will go according to the syllabus. A level maths is very easy compared to further maths.Its a challenging subject but very enjoyable too if you find maths interesting. But i will suggest that you should not do it on your own. Did you do o level add maths?If so what grade did you get?

Thanks for giving a reply according to my question :) Well, I have the Crawshaw book I use it for S1. For M1 I am using Understanding Mechanics by Sadler. In my current situation I am pretty good with my A-level maths, I am getting my A surely during my second term MOQ exams. I will be talking to my private maths tutor about this because it's not taught in any of our schools here. A-level maths is infact very easy if you practice a bit but it's not the case for further maths I guess, from what you're saying. About the o-level, yep did Add maths in o-level got 6 LOL. But I'm over that now. I can do the o-level add maths papers in 1 hour now and get 90%. It's more of the Maths P1 of A-level :)

nkw

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Thanks.

As a further math taker, I would advise u AGAINST TAKING F.MATH by yourself! Despite the books mentioned above, (which are no doubt the best references) it is insufficient for your preparation. DO NOT USE GOOD MATH RESULTS AS A GAUGE FOR F.MATH. A-lvl Math is chicken feet compared with f.math. F.math tests a huge lot on your ability to do questions out of the box. i.e. u might see a monstrous question in weird and scary forms but u must be able too see thru it and simplify it into something u've learned before, unlike math, it's not as straight forward as just solving questions with given formulas. (all of my f.math classmates scored amazingly well for AS and college's exams, mostly above 90s, but most of them are suffering with the F.math syllabus even with a good teacher.)
The books mentioned have mostly covered the syllabus, however, u need to know what is included for the syllabus and what is not. For e.g. hyperbolic functions are not included for math, and so for many parts of linear algebra. For stats, type 1, type 2 errors for hypothesis testings are not included too. And many more. (Even our lecturers get mixed up with what's in or what's not in many times).
I am currently taking physics, chemistry, math, f.math, economics and thinking skills. My warning is this, the scope of further math is humongous, it probably needs as much practice and learning time as all 5 of the other subjects added together (3 if u're not counting math and thinking skills, u should be able to do this with great ease if u're taking f.math). However, if u really love mathematics, like I do. I would encourage u to take it as a challenge, but do get an experienced tutor. All the best.

Reaction score
As a further math taker, I would advise u AGAINST TAKING F.MATH by yourself! Despite the books mentioned above, (which are no doubt the best references) it is insufficient for your preparation. DO NOT USE GOOD MATH RESULTS AS A GAUGE FOR F.MATH. A-lvl Math is chicken feet compared with f.math. F.math tests a huge lot on your ability to do questions out of the box. i.e. u might see a monstrous question in weird and scary forms but u must be able too see thru it and simplify it into something u've learned before, unlike math, it's not as straight forward as just solving questions with given formulas. (all of my f.math classmates scored amazingly well for AS and college's exams, mostly above 90s, but most of them are suffering with the F.math syllabus even with a good teacher.)
The books mentioned have mostly covered the syllabus, however, u need to know what is included for the syllabus and what is not. For e.g. hyperbolic functions are not included for math, and so for many parts of linear algebra. For stats, type 1, type 2 errors for hypothesis testings are not included too. And many more. (Even our lecturers get mixed up with what's in or what's not in many times).
I am currently taking physics, chemistry, math, f.math, economics and thinking skills. My warning is this, the scope of further math is humongous, it probably needs as much practice and learning time as all 5 of the other subjects added together (3 if u're not counting math and thinking skills, u should be able to do this with great ease if u're taking f.math). However, if u really love mathematics, like I do. I would encourage u to take it as a challenge, but do get an experienced tutor. All the best.

I am quite impressed by your selected subjects. Does this means you are taking 6 subjects at the same time? In my school, we are only allowed to take up to 5 subjects. I guess f.maths is a lot more difficult than A-level maths.Until now then. Thanks. (y)

Reaction score
I am currently doing Maths, Chemistry and Physics lol only 3 A-levels :p I want to do furthur maths

Reaction score
is any 1 of u from karachi pakistan and knws a further maths teacher?i am taking maths phy and chem and really enjoy maths and have interest in it and am thinking ov giving further mathematics in june 2013. i will start learning from this june. will i be able to cmplete the course in 1 year if i take a good tution???

Reaction score
is any 1 of u from karachi pakistan and knws a further maths teacher?i am taking maths phy and chem and really enjoy maths and have interest in it and am thinking ov giving further mathematics in june 2013. i will start learning from this june. will i be able to cmplete the course in 1 year if i take a good tution???
same question i wanted to ask

Reaction score
btw have you finished math Alevel?

Reaction score
yup u can say by tomorrow i will finish my A level mathematics cux i gave accel mathematics i.e s1,m1,p3,p1. i did very well in p1,p3 but dude that m1 last question destroyed that m1 paper for me

nkw

Reaction score
Yes 1 year is definitely enough to cover fmath syllabus, but u've to practice constantly. But I'd advise u against taking fmath if u cannot answer all questions in a math paper easily. If u really can't find lecturers, youtube is a great place to learn too. But that's if u're not aiming for an A*. For what I know, unless u're planning to read mathematics or computer science in the golden triangle universities of UK, (Imperial, UCL, Oxford and Cambridge) Fmath is never required, in fact, universities advise students against taking the subject as it might dampen the potential students' chances to enter. A few of my friends got offered places in premier league unis like Bath, LSE, Warwick, and they usually specify (only a pass for f math, but other subjects AAB/AAA) meaning they don't want u to spend time on F.math. But my Imperial Math and stats offer wants further math to be A*. So think carefully before u make up your mind. Most of my classmates (taking at least core subjects) gave up too late (when they saw their uni requirement doesn't include fmath), wasted 1 yr of tuition fees, time.

nkw

Reaction score
But it's not hard to get an A for further math. If u're not aiming for A*, so if u don't mind imperfect results, take it, it's challenging, and fun.

Reaction score
dude i have love and passion for maths and i feel i can do it and after all i know cant look bak i will have to giv further since further was the only reason why i cmpleted my maths A level course in 1 year. i am a determined guy and will inshaAllah do it.

Reaction score
But it's not hard to get an A for further math. If u're not aiming for A*, so if u don't mind imperfect results, take it, it's challenging, and fun.

hey bros, i also really wanna give Further Maths but the problem is i havent done accl maths and i plan to giv F.maths in J2013....can i still do it? please help my case is weird :/

Reaction score
dude it will be tuf to gv further and accel at the same time a few of my friends were also sayin to do this but some of them resented the idea and thus adviced me to gv accel
. but if u feel that u r pretty gud in maths then go for it and avail it. inshaAllah u may get a good grade it all depeds on practise and hw much time we give to it.

Reaction score
dude it will be tuf to gv further and accel at the same time a few of my friends were also sayin to do this but some of them resented the idea and thus adviced me to gv accel
. but if u feel that u r pretty gud in maths then go for it and avail it. inshaAllah u may get a good grade it all depeds on practise and hw much time we give to it.
bro thanks...gav me bit confidence :) by the way can u please tell me an excellent teacher?