• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

I need help .

Reaction score
I am an alevel student , my as results were 2 as and a c, my father and mother 2 months a ago used to think that i am a nice student, my aim were to get into either gik university in electrical engineering or lum university in electrical engineering, i considered nust islamabad to be my second choice i gave entry tests of all three including fast in cs:
fast acceptance (in cs can still go there):
lum rejection;
giki rejection merit number 3993;
nust islamabad rejection but accepted in karachi nust 1121 merit , i dont want to go to nust karachi campus , i dont like it nust karachi in the first place and i am from faislabad, fast although my father is forcing me to go to fast but i dont like fast all of my school students who are rejecties of lum , gik or even nust study there i dont want to be looked as a kid who is weak in studies in my family circle , i dont want to take gap year which would be horrible considering every one in my relatives would ask me where are you studying what should i do should: should i wait one year for lums or gik or , should i go to fast and apply next year in both (would it decrease my chances of getting into them ), kindly help me out anyone with experience especially the ones who have taken gap years does gap year help you getting into university ? ,and does it have any bad effect on your cv in future?

Reaction score
FAST EE is not a bad option. However if you really dont want to go there, you will have to take a gap year. dont be afraid of a gap year. 20 years from now nobody will care about it. what will matter is only your career. my advice woukd be to take the gap year, study (really hard) for SATs and then for entry tests. you will have all the time in the world to study, dont let it go to waste. i did the same and alhamdulilah ive gotten into my preferred university.

Reaction score
i might sound i little peronal please dont mind , was that gap year way too long ?,was it depressing ? what did you tell if anyone asked you about your university?
i am really tensed as i dont to waste my year and then again fail in gik i have heard my relative did same for same university and flunked again , does gap year is really an advantage ? i want to go to academy for whole year to remain focused by there is no such academy ,entry test have been my worst experience :'(

Reaction score
it lasted one year and yes, i hated being pitied on by others. you might become depressed at times especiallyin the first few months. but you need to stay confident about your decision. dont let anything anyone says bother you. work on a few hobbies and let people know youre keeping yourselfbusy and enjoying your gap year. most of all, please please study hard. keep yourself focused on your target inshallah youll succceed.

Reaction score
why not apply in NED?? I have heard there have been admissions in NED in the past with straight Bs . surely your A level result might be equivalent to more than straight Bs! Really man what's the use of all the hardwork in A level, when you going to apply for universities who got criteria of 40 - 60%! :mad:
wish I had that percentage!

Reaction score
I am an alevel student , my as results were 2 as and a c, my father and mother 2 months a ago used to think that i am a nice student, my aim were to get into either gik university in electrical engineering or lum university in electrical engineering, i considered nust islamabad to be my second choice i gave entry tests of all three including fast in cs:
fast acceptance (in ee i can still go there):
lum rejection;
nust islamabad rejection but accepted in karachi nust 1121 merit , i dont want to go to nust karachi campus , i dont like it nust karachi in the first place and i am from faislabad, fast although my father is forcing me to go to fast but i dont like fast all of my school students who are rejecties of lum , gik or even nust study there i dont want to be looked as a kid who is weak in studies in my family circle , i dont want to take gap year which would be horrible considering every one in my relatives would ask me where are you studying what should i do should: should i wait one year for lums or gik or , should i go to fast and apply next year in both (would it decrease my chances of getting into them ), kindly help me out anyone with experience especially the ones who have taken gap years does gap year help you getting into university ? ,and does it have any bad effect on your cv in future?

If you didnot want to go to Karachi why the hell did you set it as a preference?
Tell me your NUST preferences and if you set them sanely you have chance for islamabad/pindi.
Mechatronics Engineering (Rawalpindi) Very very little
Chemical Engineering (Islamabad) Good chance
Electrical (Telecom) Engineering (Rawalpindi) also a good chance.

and if you selected any one of those below your admission is probably confirmed.
Material Engineering (Islamabad)
Environmental Engineering (Islamabad)
Geo Informatics Engineering (Islamabad)

Up till now only the first selection list is out, you just have to wait for further lists.

My suggestion is either go for FAST or wait for name in desired place in NUST and go there. Study one year and then appear again if, then, you still want GIKI or LUMS.

Reaction score
fast acceptance (in ee i can still go there):
lum rejection;
Don't lose hope yet, tell us ur preferences in NUST u might have a chance.
and if U can still go to fast, do go there. It's not that bad as u have assumed it to be.

Reaction score
Well here I would also like to tell something about my self.
I too was a good student. not that much excellent as u are but yes was someone who was happy wid what he has achieved so far. My bases were good. I love the subjects phy.chem and maths. I cleared my As Level wid 2Bs and 1c. since the begining I dremt about studying in GIKI or and second choice as nust. I investigated many seniors who were studyng in nust and giki. they said u jsut need to work for entry tst if it will be good U will be admitted. i prepard with full will ( I guess)
but Unfortunately luck disgraces me. I was not selected for GIki; merit 2000.

nust merit was 4625 I studied for entry tests, straight after my last paper of A levels. I used all of the books from different academies. But there was nothing I could do just to sit wid blank face when merit list was issued.

these days m too depressed and just watching my friends going in diff. uni.'s . the question which u raised that what will relatives think, is the same for me. m too afraid about friends and people in vicinity. My parents are not saying much and are not regretting me, on what I did, but yes I can feel that something is bothering them. I am also facing the same situation.

Uptill now, I am planning to take a gap year and to give sat papers. Doing this is the best option I have seen so far. As This will not allow my abilities to rust . but will polish and will create a backup for applying in nust and giki for the next year.

If u see the other way it is not that u have to wait for 12months.. next year tests wil be condected till end of june or start of july as now.. so only 11 moths left.. :)
Believe me I can understand the situation u r facing same is the case wid me.

I would also like to appreciate the lines of the scond commenter in this thread that what world will say doesnot matter the thing matters is that what u think. they will forget aftr 4 days gossiping.
donot worry about friends good ones will be wid u. and whenever u will go to uni. u will find new ones this is also for sure.(this line has been told to me by my senior cousin).
last thing is that. U plan ALLAH too plans. HE has planned some good for u. For sure.

Reaction score
I too was a good student. not that much excellent as u are but yes was someone who was happy wid what he has achieved so far. My bases were good. I love the subjects phy.chem and maths. I cleared my As Level wid 2Bs and 1c. since the begining I dremt about studying in GIKI or and second choice as nust. I investigated many seniors who were studyng in nust and giki. they said u jsut need to work for entry tst if it will be good U will be admitted. i prepard with full will ( I guess)

nust merit was 4625 I studied for entry tests, straight after my last paper of A levels. I used all of the books from different academies. But there was nothing I could do just to sit wid blank face when merit list was issued.

these days m too depressed and just watching my friends going in diff. uni.'s . the question which u raised that what will relatives think, is the same for me. m too afraid about friends and people in vicinity. My parents are not saying much and are not regretting me, on what I did, but yes I can feel that something is bothering them. I am also facing the same situation.

Uptill now, I am planning to take a gap year and to give sat papers. Doing this is the best option I have seen so far. As This will not allow my abilities to rust . but will polish and will create a backup for applying in nust and giki for the next year.

If u see the other way it is not that u have to wait for 12months.. next year tests wil be condected till end of june or start of july as now.. so only 11 moths left.. :)

I would also like to appreciate the lines of the scond commenter in this thread that what world will say doesnot matter the thing matters is that what u think. they will forget aftr 4 days gossiping.
donot worry about friends good ones will be wid u. and whenever u will go to uni. u will find new ones this is also for sure.(this line has been told to me by my senior cousin).
last thing is that. U plan ALLAH too plans. HE has planned some good for u. For sure.

ned i dont know about it much fast is far better option for me than ned , i want electrical or mechanical or electronics in isl or pindi only
yeah i am planning to take gap year now lums test is in march ,gik is july i have made up my mind :) but i am giving nust a chance and sorting out my preferences if i get mechatronics i am going to nust and will apply next year to lums/giki

badrobot14

XPRS Administrator
Reaction score
I've heard that Fast EE is not that great, but I've heard high praises of Fast Computer Science... that's as much as I know about it....

Reaction score
I've heard that Fast EE is not that great, but I've heard high praises of Fast Computer Science... that's as much as I know about it....
heard it right coming from a brother of a FAST graduate , not boasting or anything...
in computer science only Lahore LUMS is close, from what I know...
and yes EE is not great but I don't think it's bad either, right??

Reaction score

ok get ready for a big answer, I wrote this line after writing the answer :p
good planning... 12 months is much time to study! don't waste it, there were about 22000 students appearing for NUST this year, maybe there will be more next year but I don't know. It's a competition! That's right, merit means competition and you got to own them all! Last time you had one month to prepare for the exams. That's approximately all the time left for A level students to prepare for the tests. In this time, you got to bridge the gap between the Fsc and A level, that some people don't maybe because they're smart enough. Then you got to learn shortcuts, maybe some new things for the aptitude tests. and obviously one can't cover it completely in 1 month! students start preparing for aptitude tests 3 months before the tests! yes I'm right, side by side with A level. My cousin who is in NUST, might have graduated by now, told me to do too but I couldn't maybe because of giving accel. Some of my friends, they started studying 3 months before the test, like seriously studying, from books or institute! Even some of them got rejected in GIKI. I don't know about NUST. You got a year dude. avail it! Maybe I know how it feels to be in the situation, because my tests in both FAST and NUST went hopeless for some reasons. I was taking a gap year and deciding to give inter accel! I got admission in FAST, it was all from Allah. It was a shocker! What I'm saying is keep good hopes. keep yourself motivated don't slow down. Like I said, some people start studying from 3 months before the exam. some people maybe like you taking a gap year and studying from now! Yes I know some people who are. So there's still competition. Don't slow down. keep working! it might look boring to study the same things but no pain no gain! you got to beat them all this time aim for the top merit position.
One thing I learned in these tests was rattify the formulas in Maths. no need to go into great depth. Grab the Fs.c 1st year and 2nd year Maths books and do all the examples ... rattify the ways in which these are done. That doesn't mean you rattify 2+ 3= 5 or 15 + 23= 38 :p but rattify the way in which they're done( know the word algorithms?? it's like that) . By rattify I don't mean route learning but learn them. I can guarantee you can easily be able to do more than the half course of Inter this way! They test the basics mainly. But that means you cover all topics, or all formulas! This thing I used to do in FAST test, I made two columns on a page, on one page, I wrote for example, dy by dx of sin^-1 x. On the other side of the column I left a blank space. I did it with all the formulas of differentiation integration, Ap G.P, trignometry, and some other chapters if I remember right, and I made photocopies of them. Like about 4 to 5 photocopies a day before the exam. I did maybe 2 photocopies in the night, and the remaining on the way going to FAST , yep it's a long way from here to FAST :p and also before the test.
So this thing helps! really do this if possible, gets you out of the box, gives you an edge! See I've been emphasising on the gap between Inter and A level because you've done A level. Then let's suppose you have studied all the Inter course. So you're like a multitalented person now :p You get an edge in the tests. Then maybe you can learn extra for the aptitude tests, like shortcuts maybe, but bridging the gap might just complete your 80% of the preparation! don't go for Inter past papers , but Inter books especially Maths and Physics.
Then you also have IQ for FAST. yes it's important! You got to prepare that from aptitude tests books. Don't go emphasising on General knowledge section and English section. They build with time and practice and General Knowledge section has the least weightage in aptitude tests, and it's not there in FAST. Questions can range from who was the president of India in 1947 to who won the gold medal in boxing in Olympics 2012 , if you know what I mean :p Maybe read a newspaper article daily, that can help you in both English and GK section. English most of it you've done in O level, that's right man here's the advantage you got from O level if you're looking for it :p Here's the use of writing those epic stories :p
And for negative marking don't do questions that you're not sure of! Mark them ( maybe inside your head) as left if they're too unfamiliar or tempting. Do all the questions you're sure of. Then go for the ones you had marked as tempting. Try to solve them really hardly! Put your effort don't just leave them without an effort, always remember there might be students who can do these questions which you're leaving. However always keep in mind if you've done exceptional in the questions you were sure of, then you can leave those other questions. Like suppose , the curve is 70% and you've done them then no worry. Like in my FAST test, I attempted upto around 60 questions. i mean, that included the guessed ones. I was told the curve is around 70. So I couldn't leave. The ones tempting in my mind I attempted them, thought over them. Do your paper to the full you can. Don't do silly mistakes! remember it's a competition. You got to win it! Get on the top! Get on the top! This time you got time to prepare, you got experience you already studied so you already got an edge. Don't lose hope , don't fall back! Make a timetable , maybe a yearly planner. That really helps, mark goals that are sensible and can be done with ease and comfort. Yes don't go mad over it but don't feel depressed. keep yourself motivated, look at why you want to go to university, why you want to get the admission keep yourself motivated. Muhammad Ali lost a fight against Joe Frazier as he said he took Joe Frazier lightly. Then he saw the people were crying and were sad and depending on him. So he got motivated, he got gas , energy and he worked real hard for the next match and won his title back! Cool story but it gives a lesson! You're a human and treat yourself as a human. Don't go all robot on yourself! If you feel sad, accept you're feeling sad and do something about it instead of just ignoring it. be happy. goodluck! See you next year ... maybe in NUST?? :)
And do apply for backups, they really help. apply in FAST for sure if you have interest in Computer Science.
Btw I wasn't saying I did in FAST all by myself. It was a miracle and it happened because of Allah.
And yes remember, if you get admission in a university, Allah wanted you to have admission in that university. If you haven't got admission in the university, then it wasn't good for you. But that's after you put the effort... Put your trust in Allah... Success is all due to Allah.
Goodluck! :)

Reaction score
and i am talking about fast nuces computer sciences not ee i wrote it wrong in my first post
if you have interest in CS go for FAST! And if you don't have interest in CS..........................................
why on earth did you apply for FAST in the first place?? :mad: no offense :p

Reaction score
if you have interest in CS go for FAST! And if you don't have interest in CS..........................................
why on earth did you apply for FAST in the first place?? :mad: no offense :p
totally agreed why did you apply in fast when you are only intrested in going to lums or gik ,makes no sense :p

Reaction score
well well well, i'd like to add more, i was a bright student right from the start, good grades in O levels, 8As, 6A*s, ok my AS wasn't that impressive 2As n a B, flunked in the chemistry practical exam :( nd then came the university tests, i prepared well, started the prep slightly late though, but it was sufficient, the giki test went average, didn't flunked but i later realised i could have gained somewhere around 12-13 more marks, it's just that i left 3 questions that i had a lil doubt on, following the instructions most of our seniors gave, but later and that was after the test, i realised i was doing them correct, and well the critical reading section, i didn't prepare, thinking it won't come, but it did, merit no. 1623, all hopes gone,

for the nust test, i couldn't prepare as well, had fast test in between, i never wanted to apply to that university, but my parents forced me to, so the nust test didn't went great either, so here am I, looking at my friends with much lower grades getting into universities that i had always dreamt of going to, some of my be takalluf friends have even started making fun of all this, i got accepted in fast though, have even paid it's fee, again on the insistence of my parents, but the thing is i don't want to go there at all, it was never my aim, inferiority complex just like the guy above

now i face the same problems as the guys above, i've set my eyes on UET now, i'm working hard for it, and if i get accepted i'll go there, UET was always my 3rd preference after GIK and Nust, but i'll accept it, as Allah's decision, or as everyone says and i believe that too k jo hota hay us mein behtari hoti hay, perhaps Allah has a better plan, so i'd suggest all of the guys above to chin up, nd prepare for UET, or NED for karachites, itni buri bhi nhi hay, though it can't match the level of the latter, just believe in Allah, or agar UET/ NED na hua to gap year ka sochna :)

i can understand what u guys are going through, i was sort of known as a good student both in my family and at school, so it's really heart shattering when u realise that u haven't lived up to their expectations, but chin up, as you're not the only one, mere aik dost k 6As 4A*s O level or 3As AS mein, us ka bhi yahi haal hay, InshaAllah Allah behtari hi kare ga

Reaction score
luck played a huge part in the GIK test, one of my friends attempted the same no. of questions as me, got merit no. 889, i got 1623, too much careless mistakes perhaps :/