• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

I just started my AS course :((

Reaction score
Hello there guys :) i just finished my OLs this june and entered my AS course for 3 subjects ( physics maths and chemistry) . The AS is really different than the OL and for some reason this is making me panic :( well, the past papers look really complex. However im moving with my teacher step by step and finished the first 2 chaps in each in addition to solving classified papers .. So am i on the right track? How do i get an A in them? How shall i study with the past papers in parallel?
Thanks

Reaction score
first of all let me make one thing clear...AS is much more different from IGCSE. that means that in AS u have to study much harder and its really tuff....youve made a good start but i advise you to carry on like this and study EVERYDAY! do lots of past papers and get accostomed to it.. and start ur exam preparations long before the exam itself...its not like IG where u study at the last moment and get A

this is from my experience of AS bro...goodluck!
ps. its only hard if u do AS in cambridge like I did....if ur doing edexcel then its not that hard...which board u doing?

Reaction score
first of all let me make one thing clear...AS is much more different from IGCSE. that means that in AS u have to study much harder and its really tuff....youve made a good start but i advise you to carry on like this and study EVERYDAY! do lots of past papers and get accostomed to it.. and start ur exam preparations long before the exam itself...its not like IG where u study at the last moment and get A

this is from my experience of AS bro...goodluck!
ps. its only hard if u do AS in cambridge like I did....if ur doing edexcel then its not that hard...which board u doing?
Im definitely doing it cambridge .. But should i begin solving pastpapers from now?

Reaction score
yup you will feel this at the start but late itl start to become easier with practice and you are doing great continue like this and practice regularly and youll get an A :)
well yeah like when u come back from school revise what u learnt that day and open pastpapers and solve questions from that topic..
The problem is that i only took 2 chapters from each subject.. So when i open the past papers and find many questions im not familiar with i feel stressed and late :( i always feel like crying when this happens .. So is that okay? Shall i wait to see the real result? Do you guys have that experience?

Reaction score
The problem is that i only took 2 chapters from each subject.. So when i open the past papers and find many questions im not familiar with i feel stressed and late :( i always feel like crying when this happens .. So is that okay? Shall i wait to see the real result? Do you guys have that experience?
Gosh someone atleast showed up sumthn' about AS!! prettyy crazyy about AS :(
so was I but dont worry soon ul be doing it perfectly well it just takes time its just that their us a huge gap b/w As and A2 as well as As and O level so itll take time to adjust just remember tht no mwtter what your As grades As is different many suffered even i realised but late after mocks result and i had to study like crazy then. :/ . and yeah it ll go away dont worry after some time you wish theyd remain unsloved ;)

Reaction score
O level grades*
I really do hope so :) you really comforted me and im feeling way better.. I'll just give it a month and i'll see what happens with me .. Any tips for now? It's still my second week of school :p please teach me master .. Give me some of your experience

Reaction score
goood now relax take a glass of a refreshing drink and sleep ;) . prep along side the teacher and dont freak out :)

Reaction score
I really do hope so :) you really comforted me and im feeling way better.. I'll just give it a month and i'll see what happens with me .. Any tips for now? It's still my second week of school :p please teach me master .. Give me some of your experience
Just relax bro. You have only 3 subjects, you have plenty of time. Make a plan and implement it. If you get bored, take breaks, hang out with friends or go somewhere to refresh your mind. You have ages to prepare. As for my experience, I had 6 subjects and I finished the syllabus of all subjects within March without touching or solving much past papers. I had 1 month for revision and to solve papers. At that time I felt like crying. I did not even get time to solve past papers of some papers- I just read the ms. Thanks to Allah, I still ended up with straight 6 As.

Reaction score
bro this fear you have is good cuz u realize very early what ur up against and im sure ur gonna be well prepapred...the thing with me was that i came into AS being very complacent cuz of good IGCSE grades and i realised tis at the very end and i struggled but i managed to secure good grades in math and physics...

Reaction score

You are through the same situation as I had been.. I really cried that why did I opt for A levels, I was unsure whether I'd be able to make it or not.
But have faith in Allah. Its hard, no doubt, but when you keep on studying everyday and do past papers as soon as you finish your chapter and discuss the difficult questions from your teacher.. things might get easier. And must must follow the mark schemes, don't move forward if you dont understand a thing. In the end, in shaa Allah you'd make it.
My prayers are with you :)

Reaction score
Hello there guys :) i just finished my OLs this june and entered my AS course for 3 subjects ( physics maths and chemistry) . The AS is really different than the OL and for some reason this is making me panic :( well, the past papers look really complex. However im moving with my teacher step by step and finished the first 2 chaps in each in addition to solving classified papers .. So am i on the right track? How do i get an A in them? How shall i study with the past papers in parallel?
Thanks
Come on, it might seem difficult but in reality, the subjects aren't that difficult, depends if you like it also but for me who has finished As, A level and going for final exams, i think if someone loves to study, then he shall succeed! Good luck and persevere continuously. You know you can(y)

Reaction score
You are through the same situation as I had been.. I really cried that why did I opt for A levels, I was unsure whether I'd be able to make it or not.
But have faith in Allah. Its hard, no doubt, but when you keep on studying everyday and do past papers as soon as you finish your chapter and discuss the difficult questions from your teacher.. things might get easier. And must must follow the mark schemes, don't move forward if you dont understand a thing. In the end, in shaa Allah you'd make it.
My prayers are with you :)

Thank you very much for your really positive spirit <3
I just wanted to ask you about mechanics .. we finished kinematics but actually, i can only solve the very simple questions, and i can understand the complicated ones from the recent sessions .. for example, i tried solving one question from AS Math 2013 but i cant understand the how to solve it.
is this normal? could it be related to other questions? im really finding mechanics complicated

Reaction score
I just wanted to ask you about mechanics .. we finished kinematics but actually, i can only solve the very simple questions, and i can understand the complicated ones from the recent sessions .. for example, i tried solving one question from AS Math 2013 but i cant understand the how to solve it.
is this normal? could it be related to other questions? im really finding mechanics complicated
Mechanics has a lot of variations. It's normal for most students to struggle the first time they solve the papers. But as you go along solving, things will get easy. After you solve first 3 years the next 3 years will get easy. This is how it works for most. However, my experience was different because I finished M1 in 10 days and then solved 2 year year-wise past papers before I sat the exam. o_O But don't worry, you don't have to cram everything :p, I did that because I gave accelerated.

Reaction score

Believe me this is really normal.. You have just witnessed the huge gap between O and A levels. I guess this is better than normal since you are worried from the beginning, those who realize this later end up with bad grades. You should be happy you realized it earlier. You can photocopy the topical references from redspot Maths past papers.. thaat way you will only find the questions related to the topic. Do read the books before you attack the past papers, else if you are just seeing the mark schemes to solve them- they are useless! This way you are ruining the already limited past papers by memorizing them.