• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Iɴғᴏʀᴍᴀᴛɪᴏɴ ᴀɴᴅ Cᴏᴍᴍᴜɴɪᴄᴀᴛɪᴏɴ Tᴇᴄʜɴᴏʟᴏɢʏ (0417) : Pᴏsᴛ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴅᴏᴜʙᴛs ʜᴇʀᴇ! ᴴᴰ

Was this helpful

• Total voters
Reaction score
What is batch processing, real time processing and online processing?
Can someone explain :/ I don't understand it.
Batch processing: Data is processed in one go (overnight) It is used in applications where immediate updating of data is not needed such as when making pay slips ect. So data is collected and processed all together at once(overnight, when the system is less busy) and the files are updated the following morning. Once batch processing has started, no human intervention is required.
Online processing: It is a type of real time processing and is used in applications where immediate updating of files is necessary for instance it is used to book a ticket so files are updated quickly to avoid problems of double booking as it has to be marked as unavailable.
Real time processing involves use of microprocessor controlled devices. Readings are taken continously to monitor.

Reaction score
Batch processing: Data is processed in one go (overnight) It is used in applications where immediate updating of data is not needed such as when making pay slips ect. So data is collected and processed all together at once(overnight, when the system is less busy) and the files are updated the following morning. Once batch processing has started, no human intervention is required.
Online processing: It is a type of real time processing and is used in applications where immediate updating of files is necessary for instance it is used to book a ticket so files are updated quickly to avoid problems of double booking as it has to be marked as unavailable.
Real time processing involves use of microprocessor controlled devices. Readings are taken continously to monitor.

What exactly is a micro-processor? :/

Reaction score
What is batch processing, real time processing and online processing?
Can someone explain :/ I don't understand it.
batch processing is a type of processing where all input is collected first, typed in, and verified , then processed later all at a time to produce results.
on-line processing is a type of processing where input, processing and output are received immediately at the same time.
real time processing is a type of on-line processing that involve automatic updating when a change is made. i.e. if a microprocessor is processing values, it doesn't have to be online, but if there is an update to the preset values, it must be on-line.

Reaction score
But isn't a CPU a part of computer?

They're always saying that micro-processors are a part of so many other devices, washing machines and stuff. So a washing machine has a CPU? :/
Ok so I'll explain the whole process
First sensors take readings which are converted into digital format and sent to the COMPUTER that compares the values from sensors with that stored in its memory etc etc
Yes it is part of a computer and computer is the one taking the action i.e the control

Reaction score

They're always saying that micro-processors are a part of so many other devices, washing machines and stuff. So a washing machine has a CPU? :/
Ok so I'll explain the whole process
First sensors take readings which are converted into digital format and sent to the COMPUTER that compares the values from sensors with that stored in its memory etc etc
Yes it is part of a computer and computer is the one taking the action i.e the control

Reaction score

it is like a chip that is used to control a certain device, a sensor first have to read analogue data, then ADC convert it to digital to be understood by microprocessor, it read the value and compares it with the pre-set one if lower, for example heater on, if higher heater off.
P.S* ^^temperature sensor

Reaction score
it is like a chip that is used to control a certain device, a sensor first have to read analogue data, then ADC convert it to digital to be understood by microprocessor, it read the value and compares it with the pre-set one if lower, for example heater on, if higher heater off.
P.S* ^^temperature sensor
I felt the urge to say thankyou.
You explain much better than me lol

Reaction score
They are common sense. :p
But do you actually think our common sense WILL work once we are in the examination hall and we haven't slept and are mesmerized by the paper laying in front of us, thinking what to do?!?! At the back our minds, our parents words would be played like a background song, hoping A*s and distinctions from us.....