• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

How was physics p52

how did you guys find the paper??

• Total voters
Reaction score
Sorrryy for such a messed up drawing. But my diagram was something like this :/ is it ok?

Attachments

• 1370522332895.jpg
    1370522332895.jpg
    664.4 KB · Views: 57
Reaction score
guys is it wrong if we use signal generator to change frequency?
and i connected CRO with coil...is that ok? and CRO needs a seperate power supply right?

my points were basically:

read frequency off time base of CRO
calibrate CRO and check y-gain and time-base before connecting
use large values of F to get large I0
make graph of V0/I0 against f, gradient is 2[pie]2[L]2 from where we will get value of L
Y-intercept will be R2
avoid heated coils by wearing rubber gloves

I cant remember the rest :p but do those look ok?

Reaction score
Nice idea you got there, basically the same but you don't use alternator, you move the coil itself so that emf can be induced in that. (y)

And I am pretty sure that frequency was the independent variable and current was the dependent variable. :)

Reaction score
should we consider uncertainty in b while calculating error in E.. or we just calculate using best fit slope and worst fit slope and subtract them???

Reaction score
And I am pretty sure that frequency was the independent variable and current was the dependent variable. :)

I think you know this but if you increase either the frequency of the coil oscillation or the alternator, both the voltage and current will rise due to the increase of the rate of change of magnetic flux. That's why there's V0 and Io term are stated on the left side of the equation.

Reaction score
could a C.R.O be used to measure the peak alternating current connected in series or is it only for voltage :unsure:

Reaction score
I kept the no. of turns in the coil and the current from the power supply constant and used a variable frequency generator to vary the frequency.
I also did the same as u did. I kept number of turns of coil and current in the circuit constant.
I then measured resistance of coil by ohmmeter and Vo by CRO. and then calculated Io by V=IR. Is this correct??? plzzz reply thanx

Reaction score
hey i got my uncertanities in the table wrong and it affected my whole question the graph the worst acceptacle and further question is their any ecf how many marks i will loose?iam so sad:(

Reaction score
I also did the same as u did. I kept number of turns of coil and current in the circuit constant.
I then measured resistance of coil by ohmmeter and Vo by CRO. and then calculated Io by V=IR. Is this correct??? plzzz reply thanx

Congratulations. You're right. :)

Reaction score
Congratulations. You're right. :)
Em still confusef that either Vo was to be copnstant or current???
secondly, how u cud say with surety that i am right....my most of the friends kept Vo constant....so em really cnfused atlarge!

Reaction score
Em still confusef that either Vo was to be copnstant or current???
secondly, how u cud say with surety that i am right....my most of the friends kept Vo constant....so em really cnfused atlarge!

They're both variable, that's why they're on the left side of the equation. If you increases the frequency of the generator, the emf will also increase and thus the current as well. That said, you can keep one of them constant by complicated mechanism which I think is not too appropriate for a level purpose.

Reaction score
Okay guys, here what i did for the design question.

I used a frequency oscillator to oscillate the coil, put two electromagnets on the sides. Emf induced or current induced was recorded on the CRO. Frequency was varied and the current was recorded.

omg thank god someone did something similar to what i did! instead of moving the coil, i moved an electromagnet through the coil though. But i had the same idea - in this way i varied the frequency by varying the speed at which i moved the magnet (v=2πfr, where i kept r of coil constant so varying v meant varying f) and attached a cro to measure corresponding peak current. hope it makes sense :unsure: