• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

How was Mechanics Paper 42!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How was the paper

• Easy

Votes: 27 19.0%
  • Hard

Votes: 40 28.2%
  • Not Hard and Not easy

Votes: 75 52.8%

• Total voters
Reaction score
In June 2012 a friend of mine discussed the whole paper with a boy who got distinction in June 2012.
He expected
75/75 in P1
50/50 in S1
45 /50 in M1
60/75 in P3

He still scored a B

You never know what is Cambridge upto
woahhhhh i seriously pray that doesnt happen again with any1

Reaction score
you can't be the one who took these pictures?? :D
guys i need help i did 1ii wrong
2 3 5 7 all right
4 i din't solve with 4 rules i solved with work and energy so I got S =12 so it ruined ii
6 i did i ii right but iii i got the area of shaded part and substituted with the 20 and 26 in equation
how much should I get plz answer
you kind of confused me but,
4i) has 5 marks, if you did ALL of it wrong then you lose them
If your STEPS in ii) were correct you only lose 1 mark
6iii) substituted in what? did you write any other stuff for that question?
that's 6 marks apart from 6iii because I don't understand what did you do
what if i lost 9 on paper 12 and 14 on paper 42 could i get an A
You get an A for sure in paper 12
for 42 it's possibly an A but most likely a B, but for the total I'd say A because paper 12's marks will make it up
who solvd the papers btw??? is it 100% confirm?pls reply faaaaaaaast
A teacher or a student, in both cases no it isn't 100% all correct

Reaction score
you can't be the one who took these pictures?? :D

you kind of confused me but,
4i) has 5 marks, if you did ALL of it wrong then you lose them
If your STEPS in ii) were correct you only lose 1 mark
6iii) substituted in what? did you write any other stuff for that question?
that's 6 marks apart from 6iii because I don't understand what did you do

You get an A for sure in paper 12
for 42 it's possibly an A but most likely a B, but for the total I'd say A because paper 12's marks will make it up

A teacher or a student, in both cases no it isn't 100% all correct
thnx very much :D
in 6 i got the area between 20 and 26 sec then in the equation given substituted by 26 - substituted by 20 they was the same :D

Reaction score
scalar's response abt graph:
the requirement for question 6b) was to shade the region representing "s" for a value of t where 20<t<26 (with equality included)
check question paper to see the exact requirement

"s" was the displacement from O - so was area under the graph starting from t=0 to any value between 20 and 26.. you could stop at 20, stop at any value between or stop at 26.. the correct shading in part b) was useful for part c) to get s when t=20

I think some students misunderstood the requirement, instead of reading "shade the region representing s for a value of t where t is between" they understood "shade the region representing s for t between".

Reaction score
scalar's response abt graph:
the requirement for question 6b) was to shade the region representing "s" for a value of t where 20<t<26 (with equality included)
check question paper to see the exact requirement

"s" was the displacement from O - so was area under the graph starting from t=0 to any value between 20 and 26.. you could stop at 20, stop at any value between or stop at 26.. the correct shading in part b) was useful for part c) to get s when t=20

I think some students misunderstood the requirement, instead of reading "shade the region representing s for a value of t where t is between" they understood "shade the region representing s for t between".
Are you surrrrre