• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

how was MAths 9709 p62 ???

Reaction score
Hey can anyone tell me how you did the question on 'in how many arrangements of the word greengage do exactly 2 G come together'?

Reaction score
in how many arrangements of the word greengage do exactly 2 G come together'?
answer is = 8!/3!-7!/3!

Reaction score
hey but i also did this.then later i realised, wen u do '8!/3!', in fact u considering two 'g's as 1 object.right? let the two 'g's be denoted by big letter 'G'. then when permuting, for example Ggreenae and gGreenae are the same. I'm right? so shouldn't the answer be = 8!/(3!*2!) - 7!/3! ??? the two 'g's considered as a single object and the 1 'g' left are similar objects, isn't it?

Reaction score
YA.....i agree wid u deepa...........bt my bad...even i forgot to write d same..............can u guess how much marks wil be deducte????

Reaction score
it was 3 marks in all if am not mistaken..so i guess 2 marks may be deducted. 1 for method mark [8!/(3!*2!)] and 1 for answer mark. We'll get only 1 mark for [-7!/3!]

Reaction score
hello ,deepa1802 ,was the question involve arrangement with "greengage" or "Greengage"? ifi 2'nd one is question its your process,but i think that when 1'st was questio my one is correct becoz
question asked only 2g's together ,but 3 g's might also comes together although you arrange only 2g's,,so if we subtract arrangement with 3g's together ,we can get arrangement with exactly 2'gs together ........
for example
greenggae and reengggae both contains two g's together but not exactly 2g's together.

I made this mistake ,i also did 8!/(2! *3!) . :(

Reaction score
na its the first one itself but i still maintain that my ans 8!/(3!*2!) - 7!/3! is good because it involves deducting 'number of ways 3 g are together' from 'number of ways AT LEAST 2 g are together'. So, we should work out each independently and then in the end subtract the two. Are you getting my point? if no, then let me know, ill explain further...