• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

HOW WAS CHEMISTRY PAPER 22 ?

How did you find the paper ?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Were they seven or 6? And please, CIE examiners that not that lenient that they'll give u straight marks for just writing a letter and a color change.

Well.. we'll see that when the mark scheme is published. there were 6 compounds, 3 no reaction, and among the 3 others there were an ester, which was hydrolysed by NaOH into and alcohol and a salt

Reaction score
Honestly i didn't find organic difficult this time. The format was different than the the previous years but it was cool plus the paper was easily finished on time.
Im glad im saying this cuz i considered myself weak in organic :D

Reaction score
Source : http://www.chemguide.co.uk/organicprops/carbonyls/oxidation.html

4th paragraph from top:

Because ketones don't have that particular hydrogen atom, they are resistant to oxidation. Only very strong oxidising agents like potassium manganate(VII) solution (potassium permanganate solution) oxidise ketones - and they do it in a destructive way, breaking carbon-carbon bonds.

I guess if chemguide says so, it must be reliable.
So the answer to the last part of the table is that it oxidizes the ketone, and the colour change is from purple to colourless

Reaction score
Source : http://www.chemguide.co.uk/organicprops/carbonyls/oxidation.html

4th paragraph from top:

Because ketones don't have that particular hydrogen atom, they are resistant to oxidation. Only very strong oxidising agents like potassium manganate(VII) solution (potassium permanganate solution) oxidise ketones - and they do it in a destructive way, breaking carbon-carbon bonds.

I guess if chemguide says so, it must be reliable.
So the answer to the last part of the table is that it oxidizes the ketone, and the colour change is from purple to colourless
Howcome they never mentioned in our course book :(