• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

How was Biology Paper 22 MAY/JUNE 2017?

Reaction score
Thanks alot but can i ask you about What was the question about immune response,smoking and tuberculoses plz?

Reaction score
There was the cell cycle, semi conservative DNA replication, loading of assimilates into phloem, stem cells, immune response, cell signalling. Damage on lining of airways due to smoking, magnification, immobilized enzymes and their advantages. There was a question where the base sequence of DNA was given and you had to figure out what what the sequence transcribed on mRNA and what were the anticodons of the tRNA that attached. Something about emphysema and why alveoli can burst if they cant recoil. A question on tuberculosis as well.
in the last question the base sequences in each unshaded box were same right?
also magnification i think was x500 right?

Reaction score
Thanks alot but can i ask you about What was the question about immune response,smoking and tuberculoses plz?

I dont remember clearly but.. The immune response one was asking about the mode of action of macrophages when they come into contact with a pathogen in the alveoli.
The smoking one asked about the changes in the lining of the airways dur to smoking.. not sure about that one though.
I dont remember the tuberculosis one.

Reaction score
I dont remember clearly but.. The immune response one was asking about the mode of action of macrophages when they come into contact with a pathogen in the alveoli.
The smoking one asked about the changes in the lining of the airways dur to smoking.. not sure about that one though.
not lining of airways.. i don't remember the exact question but it was about alveoli and the answer (which i was pretty sure of at the time i was answering) was about elastase breaking down elastin in alveolar walls.

Reaction score
Question was about malaria not TB

Reaction score
Last table answers
globular, globular,two a- globin and 2 B-globin..?
first table answers
photosynthesis/smooth ER/ rough ER/ mitochondira?
also we had to draw in one question i drew 1 step phagocyte staring to engulf bacteria and in 2nd step a lysosome coming towards a vesicle in which bacteria were presant.
can i expect an A at around 47 marks?

Reaction score
Last table answers
first table answers
also we had to draw in one question i drew 1 step phagocyte staring to engulf bacteria and in 2nd step a lysosome coming towards a vesicle in which bacteria were presant.
Yup Its confirm A...but I wrote cell membrane instead of mitochondria in 1st question can it be correct because it asked for cell structure responsible for active transport...it didn't ask for ATP synthesis directly which is the function of mitochondria or chromosome though ATP is needed for active transport and other processes....also it didn't mention in question about oxygen required for active transport....it asked for cell structure directly mitochondria is indirectly involved...if mitochondria is correct then chromosome should also be correct

Reaction score
Last table answers
first table answers
I don't think it was a must , to draw because q said it may help you with your answer as far as I recall

Reaction score
Yup Its confirm A...but I wrote cell membrane instead of mitochondria in 1st question can it be correct because it asked for cell structure responsible for active transport...it didn't ask for ATP synthesis directly which is the function of mitochondria or chromosome though ATP is needed for active transport and other processes....also it didn't mention in question about oxygen required for active transport....it asked for cell structure directly mitochondria is indirectly involved...if mitochondria is correct then chromosome should also be correct
i recall "cell organelle" :p otherwise i was thinking of a transport protein. I am not sure though. I might be wrong.