• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

How tough is further math?

Reaction score
I gave accelerated maths this year and I am planning to take further mathematics next year. Though I really love maths and want to take further maths but I fear it might be too tough for me. I tried 1 chapter and got comfortable with the concepts but was not able to solve pastpaper questions and found them really difficult. Since I can't judge my ability from the 1 chapter that I have done, Can someone who has taken further math guide me how difficult is it when compared to alevel maths?

Reaction score
I gave accelerated maths this year and I am planning to take further mathematics next year. Though I really love maths and want to take further maths but I fear it might be too tough for me. I tried 1 chapter and got comfortable with the concepts but was not able to solve pastpaper questions and found them really difficult. Since I can't judge my ability from the 1 chapter that I have done, Can someone who has taken further math guide me how difficult is it when compared to alevel maths?

well if u are really good at it u will ace it . maths can be pain in the *** u better be good at it or just ignore it ... look it is alevels u wont be able to solve it at first attempt i mean past papers. u cant solve pure maths past papers they are also difficult but hard work and interest is the key if u have interest u will get good grades

Reaction score
well if u are really good at it u will ace it . maths can be pain in the *** u better be good at it or just ignore it ... look it is alevels u wont be able to solve it at first attempt i mean past papers. u cant solve pure maths past papers they are also difficult but hard work and interest is the key if u have interest u will get good grades

Alright. Thanks. Do you have further maths by the way?

Reaction score
naoomi, which units have you taken for Mathematics? I think you know that you need to know all 6 units (P1,P3,M1,M2,S1,S2) to learn Furthmath.

Reaction score
But how's it possible to know all 6 units? :eek: I had P1, P3, S1,S2.

Don't worry naoomi. It isn't that difficult. I gave accelerated math last year but I had M1 and M2. I was just as worried about not knowing anything from the remaining two units but I was able to easily understand Further Statistics. Just try to learn the concepts and do the past papers and your set for an A*. Perhaps you could even study M2 and M1 is these vacations?

Reaction score
Don't worry naoomi. It isn't that difficult. I gave accelerated math last year but I had M1 and M2. I was just as worried about not knowing anything from the remaining two units but I was able to easily understand Further Statistics. Just try to learn the concepts and do the past papers and your set for an A*. Perhaps you could even study M2 and M1 is these vacations?

yess.. I started with further Pure maths in these vacations just so i can study and decide whether to take further or no. I doubt that the topics I do may fall in the very easy or the very difficult part of further math and this wouldn't give me a clear idea of the actual difficulty level. Can you please guide me which topics are the most difficult and which topics are comparitively easier?(for pure maths and mechanics) Is further mechanics more tough or further statistics? I would be really thankful if you can answer my questions :)

Reaction score
yess.. I started with further Pure maths in these vacations just so i can study and decide whether to take further or no. I doubt that the topics I do may fall in the very easy or the very difficult part of further math and this wouldn't give me a clear idea of the actual difficulty level. Can you please guide me which topics are the most difficult and which topics are comparitively easier?(for pure maths and mechanics) Is further mechanics more tough or further statistics? I would be really thankful if you can answer my questions :)

I presume you must have Physics. If you do, as I did you might find some parts of mechanics easier. But on the whole I still think Further Mechanics is on the whole more difficult than statistics but that might just be me. I would suggest that you start with Circular motion and moments of inertia, they are both closely related and most students find them quite hard. As regards to Pure, I would say Linear Algebra and complex numbers are the hardest.

Reaction score
Its not very difficult if you like mathematics and are good at it...
It's just as tough compared to A level maths as Add Maths was in comparison to normal O level maths.

Reaction score
Is add maths in O levels necessary for further maths in A levels?, I not studies add maths in o lvl ( I'm in O3) but I have some knowledge of the syllabus, can I just study add maths and a level maths during my vacation in order to study further math

Reaction score
Is add maths in O levels necessary for further maths in A levels?, I not studies add maths in o lvl ( I'm in O3) but I have some knowledge of the syllabus, can I just study add maths and a level maths during my vacation in order to study further math

Studying Additional Mathematics at olevel makes your transition to AS P1 of mathematics much easier along with that, it also provides you with a stronger grip for P3 too. It is recommended that you study Additional Mathematics, even if its during your vacations even though its not mandatory to.