• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

How to prepare for SAT II ? (Jan 28)

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
As-salam-o-alaikum!

I'll be appearing for Biology, Chemistry and Physics SAT Subject Tests on Jan 28 InshaAllah.

I need help as in how do I manage and prepare for it, and how much time do I need to spend daily for it, in order to get good scores?

I haven't yet started preparing for it, but just now finished with A Level School Exams.....so done with studying the A Level core syllabus for all these subjects (full AS and A2 excluding the Application Part).

I'll be starting with SAT Preparation now InshaAllah, ofcourse will be doing the A Levels tooo throughout.

Which books do I use? I have Barrons. And I have the 1998 edition :( for Biology and Chemistry and 2007 for Physics? Do I get the new editions for Biology and Chemistry, or it isn't really needed?

Awaiting replies at the earliest.

Jazak Allah Khairen!

Reaction score
As you have studied your a'levels , I don't think , it would be a problem for you to study SAT subjects . I'll suggest you to buy barrons latest books . Study from there and in the end if you have time , solve princeton reviews practice questions .

And relax , one month is sufficient to prepare . Although , do try to study each subject every day

I did this and got , chem 780 , bio 750 . Good luck

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
aoa!

The thing is I'll have A level classes going on which I cant miss! I take 4 A level subjects!

I really have no idea as to how do I manage my time with everything.

Anyway, how to use the book? Do I just read and understand everything, or like try to memorize stuff? and mashaAllah, since you've got a really good score, could you let me know, how exactly did you study? how much time overall u spent and each day what was your routine?

and for the exam, since there's negative marking, so what did you do...did u answer all the questions or you felt it was better to leave some?

Reaction score
aoa!

The thing is I'll have A level classes going on which I cant miss! I take 4 A level subjects!

I really have no idea as to how do I manage my time with everything.

Anyway, how to use the book? Do I just read and understand everything, or like try to memorize stuff? and mashaAllah, since you've got a really good score, could you let me know, how exactly did you study? how much time overall u spent and each day what was your routine?

and for the exam, since there's negative marking, so what did you do...did u answer all the questions or you felt it was better to leave some?

Study every subject daily . That is a must !!!

To manage time ,look into the first pages of barrons subject test books (bio,chem,phy) . It has a random timetable photograph. Do look it up . It will be helpful .

You need to memorize the formulas and some statements . For the rest , build up your concepts .

Lastly , we must admit that we can't attempt every question on test . First answer all the easy questions . Then use the elimination method on hard questions to eliminate the options you think are incorrect . If you are able to eliminate 2 options , then make a educated guess . This strategy will Inshallah improve your score . It worked for me .

One month is sufficient provided that you don't waste any single day .

Good luck

These sites might help

College Confidential
SAT, ACT, and SAT Subject Test Preparation Tips

Reaction score
Relax man! If you've taken Alvl Phy and Chem, SAT II would be really easy. There are some unfamiliar things though, so make sure you do plenty of practice tests. Barrons and Sparknotes should be more than enough. I only studied for like a couple of weeks and got Phy 800 and Chem 780 (and Math2 740) and I haven't even completed my Alvls.

College Confidential is a great resource: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/sat-subject-tests-preparation/