• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

how does cie calculate A* grade !!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
hey guys how does the cie calculate the A* grade . if for example i get A grade in both papers of maths so the result will be an A * or there is any other method if so please explain

thanxx in advance :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good:

Reaction score
If A= 80 and B = 70, 80-70 = 10
so an A* = A + The differnece
A* = 80+ 10 = 90
it changes with the threshold

Reaction score
Arcticmonkey said:
A* = 80+ 10 = 90
Sorry to tell you, someone mad have told you this method
It is clearly visible that in the grade thresholds that there is no A* in the individual component

TSZ

Reaction score
Arcticmonkey said:
A* = 80+ 10 = 90
well i used to calculate A* by this method when i saw the thresholds but the i saw a threshold of Math P2 and an A* by this method was at 69/70 and i dun thnk the threshold gets that high so i think this method is wrong :%) :%) :%)

Reaction score
WITH ALL RESPECT BUT ARCTIC MONKEY IS ABSOLUTELY RIGHT AND IM SORRY FOR TSZ BUT U MISCALCULATED !!!!
ARCTIC MONKEY IS RIGHT AND I SHOULD KNOW FOR HAVIN MEETING WITH THE CIE FOR MORE THAN 10 YEARS AND AS A SCHOOL COORDINATOR TOO

Reaction score
I agree. This method seems too good to be true.

Arcticmonkey said:
A* = 80+ 10 = 90

EmanAkhuZeina said:
WITH ALL RESPECT BUT ARCTIC MONKEY IS ABSOLUTELY RIGHT AND IM SORRY FOR TSZ BUT U MISCALCULATED !!!!
ARCTIC MONKEY IS RIGHT AND I SHOULD KNOW FOR HAVIN MEETING WITH THE CIE FOR MORE THAN 10 YEARS AND AS A SCHOOL COORDINATOR TOO

TSZ said:
http://www.xtremepapers.me/CIE/index.php?dir=Cambridge%20IGCSE/0580%20-%20Mathematics/&file=0580_w10_gt.pdf

hey, if u calculate for component 22 then B is halfway b/w A and C so B is at 48....the difference b/w a and B is 11 and if A*= A+ diff. b/w A and B so A*= 59 + 11 = 70 ( 70 are the total marks)..... this method is way wrong!!!! and im damn confused :%) :%) :%) :%) :%)

I am not sure if this method is used for calculating the A* grade, but even if they did, there is no A* grade for individual components, as said in the Marking Schemes.

So in my opinion, if you use that method, it would be calculated as follows:

For component 22, minimum mark required for A Grade is: (59/70) * 35 = 29.5
For component 42, minimum mark required for A grade is: (105/130) * 65 = 52.5

So to get an A Grade, you would probably need 82/100.

Use the same method to calculate the marks for Grade C.

For component 22, minimum mark required for C Grade is: (37/70) * 35 = 18.5
For component 42, minimum mark required for C grade is: (66/130) * 65 = 33

So to get a C Grade, you would probably need 51.5/100.

Since B grade is the middle value, the minimum mark would be: (51.5 + 82)/2 = 66.75

The difference between A and B is = 82 - 66.75 = 15.25

So according to this calculation, A* should be:

82 + 15.25 = 97.25/100

Therefore, if we use this method, only a VERY FEW students would manage an A* Grade, therefore, I doubt this method is used.

:)

Reaction score
@Rashu
Or perhaps they use that method but for each paper individually? For example they give you an A* for the subject if both of your papers score an A* [ in the way Arcticmonkey mentioned]

Reaction score
Divalicious said:
@Rashu
Or perhaps they use that method but for each paper individually? For example they give you an A* for the subject if both of your papers score an A* [ in the way Arcticmonkey mentioned]

But that's the whole point of it! There is NO A* for each paper. A* is calculated for overall percentage, not for individual paper. Even in some papers, to get an A*, you'd have to get 41/40, which is not possible.

Reaction score
You all seem to clearly not know how the grading system at CIE works. Basically if u check the grade tresholds Each paper has a different grade for getting an A. The CIE make a cumalative frequency graph to see how many students get how much grades
Suppose for the maths exam there were 500 candidates(there were more ofcourse) they would check how many students got above 60 above 70 above 80 above 90 if it is divided this way >60=100 students >70=200 students >80=290 students >90=10 students.
So the mark for A would become above 80 as very few got above 90 each exam has a different grade for an A eg maths P21=57 for A P22=59 for A P23=54 for A
A* is made for the overall percentage

Reaction score
LordofPyro said:
You all seem to clearly not know how the grading system at CIE works. Basically if u check the grade tresholds Each paper has a different grade for getting an A. The CIE make a cumalative frequency graph to see how many students get how much grades
Suppose for the maths exam there were 500 candidates(there were more ofcourse) they would check how many students got above 60 above 70 above 80 above 90 if it is divided this way >60=100 students >70=200 students >80=290 students >90=10 students.
So the mark for A would become above 80 as very few got above 90 each exam has a different grade for an A eg maths P21=57 for A P22=59 for A P23=54 for A
A* is made for the overall percentage

That's what I said...it's made for the overall percentage, but we can't calculate them.

Reaction score
ok to those of you who said that if
A =70
C= 50
Then A* is (70 -60)+70
which is 80
you are wrong
CIE make it clear you cannot get an A* in an individual paper
for this year then take each individual paper you write
and lets say you get A in all the papers
you get an A*
if you get A A B they check the weightings but you can get A or A* is the B was like multiple choice
next year however
A* has been fixed at 90%
just go and check the syllabi

Reaction score
neutrino said:
ok to those of you who said that if
A =70
C= 50
Then A* is (70 -60)+70
which is 80
you are wrong
CIE make it clear you cannot get an A* in an individual paper
for this year then take each individual paper you write
and lets say you get A in all the papers
you get an A*
if you get A A B they check the weightings but you can get A or A* is the B was like multiple choice
next year however
A* has been fixed at 90%
just go and check the syllabi

No, you're wrong.

Last year in Physics, I had to following grades:
Paper 1: A
Paper 3: A
Paper 6: A

Overall, I had an A Grade.

I checked with the teachers, they had a list of the individual grade for individual papers for every student.
So according to your theory, I should have gotten an A*.

And I don;t think there's any proper way to calculate A* grade. We don't know it. Whatever method is shown in this forum are not very clear...the ones I've seen does not work 100%