• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

How did your Biology Paper 12 go?

What did you think of Biology Paper 12?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Resolution is the ability to differentiate between two objects. In the MJ13 question we had to pick the option that showed how the specimen would look at x400 magnification when viewed with a light microscope. The answer was C according to the marking scheme, and in option C the image was blurry, meaning that at x400 the light microscope begins to get unclear, so i believe the answer is x400 for this paper as well. If im not mistaken they asked at what magnification the light microscope would be unsuitable to use, and the light microscope begins to get blurry at x400. But then again I could be wrong. Just my two cents.

Reaction score
Resolution is the ability to differentiate between two objects. In the MJ13 question we had to pick the option that showed how the specimen would look at x400 magnification when viewed with a light microscope. The answer was C according to the marking scheme, and in option C the image was blurry, meaning that at x400 the light microscope begins to get unclear, so i believe the answer is x400 for this paper as well. If im not mistaken they asked at what magnification the light microscope would be unsuitable to use, and the light microscope begins to get blurry at x400. But then again I could be wrong. Just my two cents.
Um where does it say the image was blurry in mj13.. And yes it does..it says if we magnify further than 1500 we won't be able to see it coz it has reached it's limit of resolution. But hey no one really knows the answer so let's just stop arguing on something we both aren't sure of.

Reaction score
Um where does it say the image was blurry in mj13.. And yes it does..it says if we magnify further than 1500 we won't be able to see it coz it has reached it's limit of resolution. But hey no one really knows the answer so let's just stop arguing on something we both aren't sure of.
It does not say that the image was blurry, but the answer was C. Take a look at option C and youll see that the image is really blurry. But yeah arguing wont bring back lost marks. Lets just hope and pray for the best. InshAllah everyone will get As and A*s :)

Reaction score
By the way I searched on google and according to some sources light microscopes can magnify specimens up to x1000 but they become unclear. (Source : scienceprofonline.com)

Reaction score
Well I searched on Wikipedia and it also says 1500.. And in our biology books it says 1500

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
I think for the cellulose it shud be both insoluble and hydrogen bonds cuz if it was soluble then it won't act as a structural component

Reaction score
I don't understand how it can be x400 either. Q2 was a diagram of an image at x400 magnification (with an LM) and everything was clearly visible. Unless Cambridge openly contradicts itself, that can't be the answer.

Q2 was about a stage micrometer bro, of course it was clear.