• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

How are IGCSE results reported? (btw look at my epic fail results)

Reaction score
Okay..I don't know how to put this nicely but here goes:

I sat for my IGCSE test October/November 2011 and I recently got back my results.
I was in for a shock as I had 79 for bio (B),89 for maths(A),69 for Add Maths (C),87 for Business Studies(A),70 for Physics(B),78 for English(1st language)(B) and 78 for Accounting.
Basically,only 2 As.2 more marks for A for both English and Accounts while 1 mark for A for Bio.

Why is it that for Oct/Nov 2011 the grade for A for all subjects are 80?Don't they usually average it or something?
Because the previous year,my friend who sat for Oct/Nov 2010 received 6As and most of his subjects was in the 60-75 range!He took similar subjects as mine by the way.
Isn't different subjects,graded differently,for example a 65 For Business Studies could mean an A.

Could someone please verify this?

Reaction score
Depends on the number of students appearing for the exam and their marks!

Reaction score
It is usually a threshold in all subjects. I wonder if the threshold was high this time... I would suggest you wait until the threshold is posted on XtremePapers and verify your marks then.

Reaction score
For eg, if a lot of students can answer very well on physics, then the threshold will be higher than the previous year. After checking all the physics papers, they will produce a graph. Then, they will look at ur physics score and plot it in the graph. At last, they will produce ur grade (A*,A....)..

Reaction score
I don't know how to explain this...
The marks you get on your results is not what you actually got, its just a percentage. This is how your grades are scored:
  • All the students in the world give the exams.
  • The papers are checked and marked.
  • The highest marks in each paper are considered 100%.
  • Then relative to the highest marks, your percentage is found out.
  • The percentage on your paper is that percentage.
  • A is always 80%. Its just that the value of the highest marks changes.
For example in a paper total marks are 75, the highest marks gained by any student were 71. You got lets say 63 then your percentage will be calculated like this:
(63/71)*100 = 88.7%. Now this will be listed on your results and since this is more than 80, you will get A.