• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

HHHEEELLLLLLPPPPP!!!CHEM DOUBT

Reaction score
I have my exams in 2 hrs and need help urgently
When iron is placed in salt water, does the rusting slow down?Does salt water affect the rusting when placed in a current?
Please tell me the answer asap

Reaction score
When iron is placed in salt water, does the rusting slow down?Does salt water affect the rusting when placed in a current?
I am not sure... rusting needs oxygen and water only.. may be it slows down as in salt water, amount of oxygen will decrease.. But i m not sure if that is correct
i have question too. what type of chemical reaction is aqueous lead nitrate + aqueous lead chloride???
I doubt even if lead nitrate reacts with lead chloride.....

Reaction score
When metals rust, it forms metal oxides. But by definition, Catalyst Speeds up the process of the Rxn but does not get used up. However as you can see in the equation below, Oxygen is consumed with metal to for metal oxide. Therefore Oxygen CAN'T be a catalyst. It is a reactant.

Fe + O2 ---> Fe2O3

The Correct answer is SALT. (Sodium in NaCl for an example)

Rust is the process of metal oxidizing into metal oxide. The oxidation needs a transfer medium to occur, such as water. Salt in the water speeds up the oxidation process by acting as a catalyst. The salt is never used up and the problem with salt is that even when water is gone, it remains and wait to restart the forming of rust once more moisture is present. This is why metals rust much easily in salty areas such as beaches and cold states where they use salt to melt the icy roads.

Reaction score
Rusting is faster because salt is an electrolyte, anyway if you are doing paper 62, revise on the thermit reactions, it is asked in the last question for 6 marks on how to obtain pure lead from lead carbonate!

Reaction score
Well I didn't have any problem(Alhamdu lillah)except for the question which said : How are crystals separated from the solution.I wrote filtration.Is that correct?

Reaction score
why is it that if you had put methyl orange in the first experiment and then u put phenolpthaline in the second it does not work?
im not sure but i think that firstly methyl orange would produce a more visible colur change so acid added would neutrilise the entire solution r\ since colour change is more prominent and secondly because when we later add phenophathalene colour of the solution would be colourless so it would be difficult to judge

Reaction score
In the question that they asked about obtaining ethene for ethane, the reason that the first test tube of gas was discarded was because it contained hydrogen right?

Reaction score
In the question that they asked about obtaining ethene for ethane, the reason that the first test tube of gas was discarded was because it contained hydrogen right?
No it contains mixture of air :)
  • The first tube of gas is air that expanded and was forced out the test tube. It should, therefore, be discarded