• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

HELP:(((

Reaction score

As the oxide ion has a charge of 2 and Cu ion has a charge of 1... so the formula in mind would come like CuO2 .... but as the rule of making a formula of ionic compounds is that if they both have different charges... then the charge of one will be written to the other one.... so the Cu charge is 1 so it moves to O and as we dont need to write it so it says the same.. and the charge of O is 2 so it comes to Cu... and hence the formula become Cu2O !! i hope this doesnt confuse you!! :) so the charge will be 1 :) and for working, u will show how the charges were shared to make the formula i.e O's -2 charge moved to Cu and so Cu's to O so Cu has a charge of 1

Reaction score
papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge%20IGCSE/Science%20-%20Combined%20(0653)/0653_w10_ms_31.pdf
see on mark scheme its also 1 !! :)

Reaction score
As the oxide ion has a charge of 2 and Cu ion has a charge of 1... so the formula in mind would come like CuO2 .... but as the rule of making a formula of ionic compounds is that if they both have different charges... then the charge of one will be written to the other one.... so the Cu charge is 1 so it moves to O and as we dont need to write it so it says the same.. and the charge of O is 2 so it comes to Cu... and hence the formula become Cu2O !! i hope this doesnt confuse you!! :) so the charge will be 1 :) and for working, u will show how the charges were shared to make the formula i.e O's -2 charge moved to Cu and so Cu's to O so Cu has a charge of 1
thanks and for Q8bi) of the following link should i use the cross method?

http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge IGCSE/Science - Combined (0653)/0653_s11_qp_31.pdf

Reaction score
will it be like this?
btw the ms says:
Cr2O3 ;
idea of need for charge balance ;

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 6