• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Help with IGCSE MATHS !!!

Reaction score
OKAY.
THE THING IS I DONT LIKE MATHS SO MUCH ...
So I just want to pass math and an E would be good for me as long as it not a U or a fail because I dont want to give a retake, I'll be giving the paper this May/June and to be honest, I actually havent really started studying maths much so guys I just wanna know...
How and what should I study to JUST pass in maths?
I know there are 4 books and frankly i dont think i have time for them so yeah tell me what should i study to JUST PASS.
Dark Destination Bloomwood ..
TAG OTHER PEOPLE WHO CAN HELP TOO
THANKS.

Reaction score
Ok I would advice you to first know the basics. Math is not hard it just needs practice so If you want to pass atleast you should practice past papers and go study the lesson where you find difficulty in solving its questions and practice more of its questions. Believe me I used to be like you but now I find myself really good thanks to my math teacher. It's math so you need to know everything!! I would also like to note for example find your weak points, or the chapters where you find it most difficult and start off with it. Check out a formula sheet and that would also be a good start. Solve one paper daily!! And finally never forget to use revision checklists because they always help to cover everything you need to know. GOOD LUCK and START STUDYING FROM NOW!!!

Attachments

• IGCSE0580Checklist.pdf
    207.1 KB · Views: 21
Reaction score
If you have realized that IGCSE math past papers follow particular method of asking questions-it is never something new. Just get a hang of the the common ways they usually ask questions and practice them and you will rock the exams. Also, you should practice more of vectors, probability and sequences as these are the topics they twist the questions most of the time. Not only that but you should practice graphs, algebra , numbers and mensuration well as these are the most scoring parts of the paper. And trust me, just by doing these well can get a decent score.

Reaction score
only one suggestion practice, practice and again practice and then practice some more. Maths is all about practice and remember one thing there is no royal way to study.
start solving past papers you have 2 mounts if I can get a ,A in maths directly from U you can also do it to and that thought i am in as level

Reaction score
OKAY.
So I just want to pass math and an E would be good for me as long as it not a U or a fail because I dont want to give a retake, I'll be giving the paper this May/June and to be honest, I actually havent really started studying maths much so guys I just wanna know...
I know there are 4 books and frankly i dont think i have time for them so yeah tell me what should i study to JUST PASS.
THANKS.

Some good notes for IGCSE maths are at
http://www.teachifyme.com/igcse-mathematics-0580/

Reaction score
Ok I would advice you to first know the basics. Math is not hard it just needs practice so If you want to pass atleast you should practice past papers and go study the lesson where you find difficulty in solving its questions and practice more of its questions. Believe me I used to be like you but now I find myself really good thanks to my math teacher. It's math so you need to know everything!! I would also like to note for example find your weak points, or the chapters where you find it most difficult and start off with it. Check out a formula sheet and that would also be a good start. Solve one paper daily!! And finally never forget to use revision checklists because they always help to cover everything you need to know. GOOD LUCK and START STUDYING FROM NOW!!!
Thank you for your reply.
But I have other subjects to study and I have decided to take a bad grade in math and its fine for me to get an E ( as long as I pass and not fail ) so I just wanted to know how much should I study to pass? Do I have to study so much math just to pass? :eek:

Reaction score
If you have realized that IGCSE math past papers follow particular method of asking questions-it is never something new. Just get a hang of the the common ways they usually ask questions and practice them and you will rock the exams. Also, you should practice more of vectors, probability and sequences as these are the topics they twist the questions most of the time. Not only that but you should practice graphs, algebra , numbers and mensuration well as these are the most scoring parts of the paper. And trust me, just by doing these well can get a decent score.
I have past papers and hopefully I'll do them a bit, there are around 47-48 chapters in total I think... But I just want to pass the paper so how many chapters should I do? 15? 20? Thank you for your reply.

Reaction score
only one suggestion practice, practice and again practice and then practice some more. Maths is all about practice and remember one thing there is no royal way to study.
start solving past papers you have 2 mounts if I can get a ,A in maths directly from U you can also do it to and that thought i am in as level
I dont want to take an A in math. I just want to pass. I know you might be thinking something is wrong with me but the career I want to choose doesn't involve much maths and thus, I just want to pass in my math paper and an E would be okay. As long as I pass and not fail.

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply.
But I have other subjects to study and I have decided to take a bad grade in math and its fine for me to get an E ( as long as I pass and not fail ) so I just wanted to know how much should I study to pass? Do I have to study so much math just to pass? :eek:
Well, as much as I know you need math for everything in life, its an important subject!! just take it later on. Now focus on your main subjects and take math next session. What you don't understand is that its not like how much do you need to know to pass, there could be parts related to each other. I mean you may need to use Algebra in mensuration questions, or you may have trigonometry questions along with mensuration. So you won't be able to continue the question if you don't find the previous answer. I advice you if you want to pass make a proper timetable because you never know what's coming on the exam.

Reaction score
Well, as much as I know you need math for everything in life, its an important subject!! just take it later on. Now focus on your main subjects and take math next session. What you don't understand is that its not like how much do you need to know to pass, there could be parts related to each other. I mean you may need to use Algebra in mensuration questions, or you may have trigonometry questions along with mensuration. So you won't be able to continue the question if you don't find the previous answer. I advice you if you want to pass make a proper timetable because you never know what's coming on the exam.
I can't back out and not take it in this session, I've already given the fee for the paper and everything. So I am thinking that I'll do 20 easy chapters like mean median mode etc and then just give the paper? I know math is important but lets be real....most everyday math is done on calculators but then again, I want to be a fashion designer so I dont consider it so important for me. I just want to clear it and get rid of it for once and BE MATH FREE !!!! LOL i make it sound like math is a monster....to some extent, to me, is it LOL and again thank you for your reply :)

Reaction score
I can't back out and not take it in this session, I've already given the fee for the paper and everything. So I am thinking that I'll do 20 easy chapters like mean median mode etc and then just give the paper? I know math is important but lets be real....most everyday math is done on calculators but then again, I want to be a fashion designer so I dont consider it so important for me. I just want to clear it and get rid of it for once and BE MATH FREE !!!! LOL i make it sound like math is a monster....to some extent, to me, is it LOL and again thank you for your reply :)

Wow! A fashion designer! thats cool..
Well you know I'd tell you to study the following topics, you will land somewhere near C and believe me its not THAT MUCH TO BEAR AND STUDY..

1. Learn simple fractions and their conversions to percentages and decimals
2. How to solve Simultaneous Equations.
3. Mean Median and Mode
4. Cumulative Frequency and Histograms
5. The form y=mx+c and two equations related with that.
6. Trigonometry and right angled triangles sine cosine tangent.
7. Ratio and Proportion (This is actually gonna help with fabric cutting during ur career)
Hope that helps

Reaction score
Wow! A fashion designer! thats cool..
Well you know I'd tell you to study the following topics, you will land somewhere near C and believe me its not THAT MUCH TO BEAR AND STUDY..

1. Learn simple fractions and their conversions to percentages and decimals
2. How to solve Simultaneous Equations.
3. Mean Median and Mode
4. Cumulative Frequency and Histograms
5. The form y=mx+c and two equations related with that.
6. Trigonometry and right angled triangles sine cosine tangent.
7. Ratio and Proportion (This is actually gonna help with fabric cutting during ur career)
Hope that helps
Hahaha you'll certainly laugh but THIS SEEMS SO MUCH !!! But I'll try and hopefully do this, thank you for the reply. Yes! A fashion designer, is it possible, you think?

Reaction score
OKAY.
THANKS.
Practice past papers. Figure out the frequently repeating questions and concentrate on them. Do well in the MCQ section.
If anything else, feel free to ask :)