• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Help? What AS subjects to choose?

Moi

Reaction score
Hi, Aslam Alaikom !
so wow, igcse results in 15 days huh? Nerve wrecking !

Anyways, i need your help! This year (grade 11) , i will be taking the AS levels, sure you know!
i will be taking 3 subjects, i have chosen two, but not sure what will the third be!
i will be taking AS IT, because i wanna work with computers in the future! I will also take bio, coz according to my mom, i need to keep it open, incase anything happen,I they want me into medicine, i hate it but its eithe bio or chemistry and honestly, chemistry is my worst nightmare! I like bio!
now for the third subject, should i take Math or Physics? Which is best for computing and easier! i hate studing!

i have always hated maths and always will, i am terrible at it, while in physics, i have always had interest in it, had good marks but the igcse exam comes, so hard, that i am not sure if i will do well in AS levels!

so...Maths or Physics? Keep in mind i will also take business igcse coz i skipped the first year of it!

thx for the help!

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
Chemistry is a must for either of the two fields - medicine or computer sciences. And physics, too.

Suggested subjects: Chemistry, Physics, IT and Bio.
If it's too much for you, drop bio.

Moi

Reaction score
Chemistry is a must for either of the two fields - medicine or computer sciences. And physics, too.

Suggested subjects: Chemistry, Physics, IT and Bio.
If it's too much for you, drop bio.
oh no...anything but chemistry! If i take it i am failing it, i am bad at it! Either physics or maths !

Reaction score
oh no...anything but chemistry! If i take it i am failing it, i am bad at it! Either physics or maths !

I'd recommend maths because I think it has a greater element of diversity in it than physics. It's suitable for degrees like Computer Science (e.g. you'd know more about algorithms). But you'd really need to take it at a higher level/advanced because core math won't really do you any good. If you're not allowed in extended math, then I'd say just go for physics.

Reactions: Moi

Moi

Reaction score
I'd recommend maths because I think it has a greater element of diversity in it than physics. It's suitable for degrees like Computer Science (e.g. you'd know more about algorithms). But you'd really need to take it at a higher level/advanced because core math won't really do you any good. If you're not allowed in extended math, then I'd say just go for physics.

i like your answer, it makes sence! and my school actually offer extended only, not core, so hmm, i will think about it (UAE) :)

Reaction score
what subjects are you taking if i may ask and why ? How did you decide ?

Well I didn't quite pick them yet because I put down my option choices for IB but over the summer I decided to change and go with the AS curriculum instead (so I don't remember the subjects available). But if my school has them and I think they do, I'm taking Physics, Chemistry, math (but I think math is a compulsory one here), arabic, general studies. I picked physics because I'm interested in it and the other subjects don't interest me (the alternatives to physics). Plus, I'm into computer science too so it's gonna help out a bit. Chemistry because it's my favourite science and I might also go into chemical engineering. And that's it I guess :)

Reaction score
ok what is the best choice for medicine and engineering is it ok if its three subjects only a levels ok

Reaction score
ok what is the best choice for medicine and engineering is it ok if its three subjects only a levels ok

I'd say the best A-Level subjects would be Biology and Chemistry (for medicine) and Mathematics (for both medicine and engineering).

Reaction score
okay can i take chemistry in alevels if i didnt take it in igcse as ill be giving it later in this october season is it possible?

Reaction score
Hi, Aslam Alaikom !
so wow, igcse results in 15 days huh? Nerve wrecking !

Anyways, i need your help! This year (grade 11) , i will be taking the AS levels, sure you know!
i will be taking 3 subjects, i have chosen two, but not sure what will the third be!
i will be taking AS IT, because i wanna work with computers in the future! I will also take bio, coz according to my mom, i need to keep it open, incase anything happen,I they want me into medicine, i hate it but its eithe bio or chemistry and honestly, chemistry is my worst nightmare! I like bio!
now for the third subject, should i take Math or Physics? Which is best for computing and easier! i hate studing!

i have always hated maths and always will, i am terrible at it, while in physics, i have always had interest in it, had good marks but the igcse exam comes, so hard, that i am not sure if i will do well in AS levels!

so...Maths or Physics? Keep in mind i will also take business igcse coz i skipped the first year of it!

thx for the help!
i think you should do maths along with IT and computing if your school has or just do physics instead of computing but thats if you want to do computer science

Reaction score
Just to throw my two pence in (I'm studying Computer Science this year) - IT is nothing like Computer Science, and mostly it won't help. If you want to learn about programming and building systems, then IT won't help. If they have the option, Computing is more similar. The best subject to take, hands-down, is Maths. Chemistry and Physics are then the next two best I would say.

Moi

Reaction score
Just to throw my two pence in (I'm studying Computer Science this year) - IT is nothing like Computer Science, and mostly it won't help. If you want to learn about programming and building systems, then IT won't help. If they have the option, Computing is more similar. The best subject to take, hands-down, is Maths. Chemistry and Physics are then the next two best I would say.
seeing all the replies, i am more convinced into taking maths now! My school is urgh, it only offers science, maths and IT for AS ! Now i did say i want coputing, but then again, i want the artitic side ofit, as in graphic designs and editings..and chemistry is definitly not in my tea, so since it comes down to physics and math...i believe i will go with maths! Thx everyone for the help