• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Help needed in SAT!

Reaction score
Ive done sat many times now and i succeeded to get a 1740 as my highest score!
Ive been in boarding school and It was hard to focus on SAT with a tiring schedule, but no matter how much i tried, nothing went inside my head. I tried memorising vocabulary and it never really stayed in my mental dictionary, like i couldnt really use it in my daily speech.
I want to attempt it once more and it should be the last time I'm touching it. Though im wondering if it's worth another try, some say that it's next to impossible to get a higher score if you've already tried twice. (Ive tried it thrice)
So should i re-attempt it?

Are there any tips on how to improve vocabulary? (I started reading novels already)

Any other material that can help me with SAT? (Maths is not an issue in my case)

Reaction score
Ive done sat many times now and i succeeded to get a 1740 as my highest score!
Ive been in boarding school and It was hard to focus on SAT with a tiring schedule, but no matter how much i tried, nothing went inside my head. I tried memorising vocabulary and it never really stayed in my mental dictionary, like i couldnt really use it in my daily speech.
I want to attempt it once more and it should be the last time I'm touching it. Though im wondering if it's worth another try, some say that it's next to impossible to get a higher score if you've already tried twice. (Ive tried it thrice)
So should i re-attempt it?

Are there any tips on how to improve vocabulary? (I started reading novels already)

Any other material that can help me with SAT? (Maths is not an issue in my case)

1740 isn't bad, but it can definitely be improved. The general consensus on improving one's score is that (s)he practice, and it isn't wrong. The only way to have a firm grip on English is that you work on it.

Here are a few websites outlining the general tips:

http://www.sat-coach.com/tips.html
http://www.sparknotes.com/testprep/books/newsat/chapter7section5.rhtml Sparknotes in general is a really good site so use it to your advantage.
http://quizlet.com/26605128/english-vocab-sat-1-flash-cards/

And go look up http://www.collegeconfidential.com/. People on this have excellent advice on how to improve your score.

Oh, and do a LOT of practice tests. Definitely helps.

Reaction score
Oh and btw if you don't want to give it again, there's no pressure. 1740 is generally accepted in all universities (except ivies).

Thank you so much! :D
So its not really necessary that one HAS to go for coaching or anything right?
Thats a common myth right?

And i just want to raise my score only to beat the competition, its really high for the UC's

Reaction score
depends on the university u are thinking of applying too most universities except ivy league school will accept your score given that ur CR and Math is greater than 1100-1200.
for vocabulary memorizing the words is like the worst mistake someone can make..instead try to watch documentaries or sports commentaries which will help you in understanding new words with some visual help..memorizing vocab is a waste of time imho!!
for maths try different solved tests and try to do tests instead of single excersises...and for essay well thats easy i think..i never prepared for an essay and still got an 10 by watching a video on youtube about writing a sat essay in 9 minutes!!..:D...
and xtremepapers has the best pdfs on sat workbooks!!..try them!!.and if u need any further help try youtube or pm me!!..

Reaction score
Im rooting for the UC's, and i just want a higher SAT score because i actually repeated my AS level, so i dont really want to stand out as a weakling. :/

I knoooow! I tried memorising and i got nowhere. Hence im reading novels abhi and watching a lot of documentaries,

Thanks for the suggestions!

Reaction score
Never try to force yourself to memorise. It never works. Just relax, study for an hour whenever you feel like it, and read a lot of books, like novels, science fiction books, etc.
Do 3 practice tests and you'll be fine. Forcing yourself to do something never works, you just have to learn to appreciate it.

Reaction score
Never try to force yourself to memorise. It never works. Just relax, study for an hour whenever you feel like it, and read a lot of books, like novels, science fiction books, etc.
Do 3 practice tests and you'll be fine. Forcing yourself to do something never works, you just have to learn to appreciate it.

Couldnt agree any more with you :)
Thank you!