• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Help in English.

Reaction score
Hi Everybody

Need any help in English Language?

I am a qualified English Language, Trinity and soft skills trainer.

Please message me.

Reaction score
Hi! How nice of you to ask who needs help!
Well, I'm in my IGCSE O levels, I'm going to take my English as a second language (M/J session) orals. Should I answer in a certain way? How should I talk? What's your general advice?

Reaction score
Hi Everybody

Need any help in English Language?

I am a qualified English Language, Trinity and soft skills trainer.

Please message me.

thanks for asking, yeah I need tips It would be good ,if u give some.

ktc

Reaction score
Hi! How nice of you to ask who needs help!
Well, I'm in my IGCSE O levels, I'm going to take my English as a second language (M/J session) orals. Should I answer in a certain way? How should I talk? What's your general advice?

I am taking esl oral exam next week and I was asking on tips on how to take about a topic that I don't know much about

thanks for asking, yeah I need tips It would be good ,if u give some.

Be natural.

When the examiner asks you to pick a card from the table and you don't like/know anything about the topic, ASK the examiner for a another one - your marks are NOT going to be deducted for doing so.

Because, if you act like you know what its all about, you'll get into big trouble. Even though the orals are about your speaking ability, in order to speak, you need to have some kind of general knowledge on the topic - you can't just blabber.

Do not lie - if its a topic on travel and tourism, for example, and you have never even been on a plane, don't go around saying I've been to London, Rome, Creche Republic, etc - the examiner knows when you're not being truthful, s/he might ask you questions like, 'So, what statue have they recently put up in Madame Tussaud's museum?'
Busted.

A nice smile does a lot to break the ice - point to note down.

The examiners are British, so whatever you do, do NOT fake a British accent - second point to note down.

Use linking words, but don't overuse it.

Just be yourself, the examiners aren't monsters. Enter the room with a 'Good morning/afternoon/evening' (make sure what time of the day it is) and a huge smile.

They'll ask your name/country/a little about yourself - warm up session.

And then the orals begin. (It isn't as scary as it sounds)

If the topics are on feelings, emotions, personal opinions, etc, you get lucky - you don't have to use much of your brain for that.

But if its a general knowledge topic, think before you speak.

There's no chronological order as such when it comes to speaking on the given topic. You should have a flow, though.

Finally, relax, be calm. Whatever is going to happen, will happen. There's no point freaking over it. Insha'Allah, it'll go smooth. :)

Good luck guys.

Reaction score
Thanks! That was really useful
Just one question, though. If, for example, you have to talk about Air Travel. The examiner then asks " When did air travel start?". And you have no idea when it did. How did you answer that?
Also, I already spoke to my examiner. She says that whatever card she gives me is the one I'll speak about, no exceptions.

ktc

Reaction score
“I have absolutely, positively no idea’ :p

The examiner is testing your speaking skills - I don’t think the chances of an objective question being asked is high.

But if it is, just be honest and say you don’t know – better than giving an imaginary date.

Wait, you already spoke to your examiner? When I had my orals, the only time I got to speak to mine, was during my orals. :/

Also, at first, my topic was ‘Poultry Farming’. I was clueless, so I requested for alternate topic and he gave me one – Olympics.

He asked me questions like what my favourite sport is/who I play it with/how often/sport facilities in school/favourite sportperson, etc., would I spend all that money to buy a ticket to watch the Olympics live or would I utilize it in a more efficient way ( I said I’ll buy the ticket :p), my views on drug use in the Olympics, etc.

^ only subjective questions were asked.

I guess it differs from one examiner to another.

Reaction score

The examiner is testing your speaking skills - I don’t think the chances of an objective question being asked is high.

But if it is, just be honest and say you don’t know – better than giving an imaginary date.

Wait, you already spoke to your examiner? When I had my orals, the only time I got to speak to mine, was during my orals. :/

Also, at first, my topic was ‘Poultry Farming’. I was clueless, so I requested for alternate topic and he gave me one – Olympics.

He asked me questions like what my favourite sport is/who I play it with/how often/sport facilities in school/favourite sportperson, etc., would I spend all that money to buy a ticket to watch the Olympics live or would I utilize it in a more efficient way ( I said I’ll buy the ticket :p), my views on drug use in the Olympics, etc.

This year it will. I already checked the topics for orals this year. There is, in fact, Air Travel. The first sub-topic is "when did air travel start?" That's why I asked you.
How much did you get in your reading and writing? Just out of curiousity.

Reaction score
This year it will. I already checked the topics for orals this year. There is, in fact, Air Travel. The first sub-topic is "when did air travel start?" That's why I asked you.
How much did you get in your reading and writing? Just out of curiousity.
how did you check the topics for oral,do you have any of them,give it to me please!!!

Reaction score
can u tell me some of the tips for the english as a second language paper 2 exam (reading and writing) and how to write a perfect informal letter .. tell me some of the tips
yeah I need it too so gimme some tips.

ktc

Reaction score
can u tell me some of the tips for the english as a second language paper 2 exam (reading and writing) and how to write a perfect informal letter .. tell me some of the tips
yeah I need it too so gimme some tips.

Try and score full marks in the first 5 exercises. Don’t forget to go through the small maps/visuals, if there are any, on the articles you read.

Do not re - write essays/letters. Practice writing the final draft on paper – remember you have limited time in the exam.

For informal letters, try and write something based on what actually happened in real life! (that way it makes it easier for you to keep ideas coming and you’ll have a flow – you wouldn’t have to stop, think and use up time to make things up)

As far as I remember, my informal letter was to a friend about a new experience I had. Luckily, during the summer, I did encounter something new – attended swimming classes for the first time. Everything I said in my letter was genuine :p I even addressed it to a real life friend :p

Introduction: I started with the classic, ‘Dear _______’ and ‘It was nice to hear from you’. etc…

Body: My reason for joining swimming classes was boredom/I mentioned how many classes there were in a week/how enthusiastic my lifeguard was/how paranoid my mom was/the feeling of ecstasy when I first dived - jumping from a board, 5 meters high/ how sad I was when summer ended – basically the whole experience of it.

Conclusion: I ended the letter by saying swimming turned out to be more enjoyable and less daunting experience and that the next time I take a dip in the pool, I would like for my friend to join me.

Then with the, ‘Give my regards to everybody at home. Looking forward for your reply’ ‘Love,____’, I ended it.

Make your letter and essay worth reading. Add a little humour to it.

Organize your ideas, write within the space given, use adverbs, adjectives and idioms like ‘out of the blue’, ‘turn over a new leaf’, ‘make a mountain out of a molehill’, ‘make hay while the sun shines’, etc.

Keep track of time – don’t spend more than 25 minutes on a letter/essay.

And have a legible handwriting.

Useful links:
http://www.tesoltasks.com/Grade10Revision.htm

http://www.cambridgestudents.org.uk/subjectpages/english/igcsesl/Learner guide for_IGCSE_ESL_0510.pdf

Reaction score
Try and score full marks in the first 5 exercises. Don’t forget to go through the small maps/visuals, if there are any, on the articles you read.

Do not re - write essays/letters. Practice writing the final draft on paper – remember you have limited time in the exam.

For informal letters, try and write something based on what actually happened in real life! (that way it makes it easier for you to keep ideas coming and you’ll have a flow – you wouldn’t have to stop, think and use up time to make things up)

As far as I remember, my informal letter was to a friend about a new experience I had. Luckily, during the summer, I did encounter something new – attended swimming classes for the first time. Everything I said in my letter was genuine :p I even addressed it to a real life friend :p

Introduction: I started with the classic, ‘Dear _______’ and ‘It was nice to hear from you’. etc…

Body: My reason for joining swimming classes was boredom/I mentioned how many classes there were in a week/how enthusiastic my lifeguard was/how paranoid my mom was/the feeling of ecstasy when I first dived - jumping from a board, 5 meters high/ how sad I was when summer ended – basically the whole experience of it.

Conclusion: I ended the letter by saying swimming turned out to be more enjoyable and less daunting experience and that the next time I take a dip in the pool, I would like for my friend to join me.

Then with the, ‘Give my regards to everybody at home. Looking forward for your reply’ ‘Love,____’, I ended it.

Make your letter and essay worth reading. Add a little humour to it.

Organize your ideas, write within the space given, use adverbs, adjectives and idioms like ‘out of the blue’, ‘turn over a new leaf’, ‘make a mountain out of a molehill’, ‘make hay while the sun shines’, etc.

Keep track of time – don’t spend more than 25 minutes on a letter/essay.

And have a legible handwriting.

Useful links:
http://www.tesoltasks.com/Grade10Revision.htm

http://www.cambridgestudents.org.uk/subjectpages/english/igcsesl/Learner guide for_IGCSE_ESL_0510.pdf
Thank u

Reactions: ktc
Reaction score
could you please help me in answering these questions

Travel Journalism
1.Books,articles or programs that you've seen
2.How can tourism help the environment
3.What can you learn from others experience of travel
4.What place would you write about

PLease help me as day after tomorrow is my speaking

Reaction score
Its nice that you got an A*....just want to ask you what to do with o level english paper 2 1123...I am weak in comprehension.done some past paper practice but not getting high marks in it....What to do please give me some tips

Reaction score
how did you check the topics for oral,do you have any of them,give it to me please!!!

They are:
  1. GIfts
    when do u get gifts
    giftes you recieve on special days
    what is an inappropriate gift
    gifts you consider happy for others
    weather giving gifts is good or bad for children

2. Leaving School
    feelings when you leave school
    opportunities and challenges you face
    should everyone continue their education
    weather government is helping those who leave school