• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

help in chemistry... an electrolysis question

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
rust is iron(III)oxide,right! so increase in pH means sunstance getting alkakline which is due to hydroxide io,coz in general we know pH is caused due to conc. of oxides and hydroxides in sol. for alkalis and hydrogen ions for acids!!

Reaction score
waleedsmz said:
http://www.xtremepapers.net/CIE/Cambridge%20IGCSE/0620%20-%20Chemistry/0620_w01_qp_3.pdf

question 4/f

Why is the answer hydroxide while knowing that iron oxide alone is a basic oxide which could increase the pH?
the first thing I thought about is oxide ion...

pH measure increases with the excess of Hydroxide ions , and imbalance between both Hydroxide and Hydrogen ions.

Reaction score
ok I got both of your answers... But does hydroxide ions just stand there alone ??? I mean without a positive ion??? or do they react with iron?

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
actually this hydroxide ion is present in the ionic compund (hydrated) iron(III)hydroxide[rust]

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
:oops: i am sorry u r right it is iron(III)oxide, anyhow it is a metal oxide and thus is basic!!JazkAllah for pointing my mistake!! :)